Perfect Hair Collection

Dermablend and skin issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dermablend and skin issues
    Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 5:02am

'Make-up lets me express who I TRULY am': Women with severe skin conditions show how cosmetics can be empowering

• The Dermablend ads come as millions of women have been posting no-make-up selfies

By MARGOT PEPPERS

PUBLISHED: 22:45, 2 April 2014 UPDATED: 23:34, 2 April 2014

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
6 shares

View 
comments

A new cosmetics ad goes against the typical girl-power creed of embracing your natural look by showing how make-up can actually empower women.

In two videos for Dermablend, women with different skin conditions explain how they use make-up to present themselves to the world in a way that feels genuine, not as a means of hiding away.

One of the women is Cheri Lindsay, a volleyball coach with the skin depigmentation condition called vitiligo. By camouflaging her condition with make-up, 'people could look completely through it and see who I was as a person,' she explains. 'It made me a little bit more approachable.'

Scroll down for videos 

Revealing: In two new videos for cosmetics brand Dermablend, women with skin conditions explain how make-up has helped them present themselves to the world in a way that feels genuine
+7

Revealing: In two new videos for cosmetics brand Dermablend, women with skin conditions explain how make-up has helped them present themselves to the world in a way that feels genuine

True self: Cheri Lindsay (pictured), a volleyball coach with a skin depigmentation condition called vitiligo, uses make-up to be a little bit more approachable
+7

True self: Cheri Lindsay (pictured), a volleyball coach with a skin depigmentation condition called vitiligo, uses make-up to be 'a little bit more approachable'

Empowering: Cheri says when she wears make-up, it lets people look through her condition and see her for who she truly is
+7

Empowering: Cheri says when she wears make-up, it lets people look through her condition and see her for who she truly is

In the beginning of the video, Cheri appears, sitting in a chair, with what looks to be an even skin tone.

'My name is Cheri, and this is my Camo Confession,' she says before using a towel to rub the foundation off of half of her face, revealing a much lighter skin tone underneath.

She explains that the condition began manifesting itself in her sophomore year of college when she lived in Texas. 

'I have been told that sun exposure just makes it spread that much faster,' she says. 'All of this came within the past three years or so, and it was shocking to me at first... It's not that easy to deal with.'

Cheri continues: 'When I first got vitiligo, I had to ask myself a couple different questions, the first being, does it hurt? No. Is it contagious? Not at all. And can I still live with this and be successful? Hell yes.'

Exposed: She adds that by putting herself out there, she hopes to inspire other women to do the same
+7

Exposed: She adds that by putting herself out there, she hopes to inspire other women to do the same

Before: Model Cassandra Bankson (pictured), who is known for doing YouTube make-up tutorials, shares a similar message in her Camo Confession video
+7

Before: Model Cassandra Bankson (pictured), who is known for doing YouTube make-up tutorials, shares a similar message in her 'Camo Confession' video

She then explains how she uses make-up not to hide her imperfections, but to encourage people to see her for who she truly is instead of making assumptions based on her appearance. 

'I don't want people to think that I would get offended,' she says. 'Don't hide, you know, there's something wrong with everybody. Nobody's 100per cent perfect.'

'It wasn't until I found make-up and a passion within myself that I found purpose to my life'

She adds that by putting herself out there in the commercial, she hopes to inspire other women to do the same. 

Model Cassandra Bankson, who is known for doing YouTube make-up tutorials, shares a similar message in her 'Camo Confession' video, which sees her removing all her make-up to reveal her acne.

The 21-year-old opens up about how she has struggled with severe acne since the third grade, which led to other children calling her a 'freak of nature' and 'the exorcist'.

Low self-esteem: The 21-year-old opens up about how she has struggled with severe acne since the third grade, which led to other children calling her a freak of nature and the exorcist
+7

Low self-esteem: The 21-year-old opens up about how she has struggled with severe acne since the third grade, which led to other children calling her a 'freak of nature' and 'the exorcist'

Laid bare: After removing her foundation, she explains: It wasnt until I found make-up and cosmetics and a passion, really, within myself, that I found purpose to my own life
+7

Laid bare: After removing her foundation, she explains: 'It wasn't until I found make-up and cosmetics and a passion, really, within myself, that I found purpose to my own life'

'When you hear things like that on a daily basis, it becomes really, really hard to love yourself,' she explains.

'It wasn't until I found make-up and cosmetics and a passion, really, within myself, that I found purpose to my own life,' she adds. 

'I used to use make-up to cover up and hide who I was,' she concludes. 'Now, I use it to express myself, and show the world who I truly am.'

Dermablend, which was created in 1981, is a 'camouflage' cosmetics brand designed specifically for women with mild to severe skin conditions.

Read more:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2595439/Make-lets-express-I-TRULY-Women-severe-skin-conditions-cosmetics-empowering.html#ixzz2xofLFwsv 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Sponsored Links

bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 5:25am
story of my lifeCry
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 5:31am

I wonder what is chemically going on in that white woman's body
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 5:50am
Woooooow!

I thought the first woman just had caked on makeup!

But that dermablend hid the white very well!

As for the second one, I've seen her on youtube.

I'm not gonna lie, that makeup wasn't hiding a thing.
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 6:09am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I wonder what is chemically going on in that white woman's body
Yeah her acne is real bad...i watch her vids on youtube she seems to lead a healthy lifestyle though
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 7:06am
It looks like she has  cystic acne I think its called. My co worker had it and depending on the severity cures are slim to none. 
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 7:13am
the makeup ages the black woman.
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 7:14am
Dang,i aint sh*t for thinking the "after" pic for the 2nd lady was the "before" pic,until i scrolled further down
sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:34am
I have not seen the white girl on the tube but I will say....is she not going to the dermatolgist.  Years ago, I went on accutane 2 times...and it saved my LIFE....
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 10:45am
Woman #2...*looks away with nothing nice to say about the after pic*
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style