Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedDeep conditioning after coloring?

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep conditioning after coloring?
    Posted: Aug 29 2010 at 10:49am

*Also posted in the hair color section*

I bought a semi-permanent coloring kit from SoftSheen Carson (Reviving Colors, in Natural Black). In the instructions, they say that you're supposed to shampoo, color and then condition with the leave-in conditioner sample that they included in the kit.

My question is can I deep condition right afterwards with my regular product and wash out or will that start stripping some of the color that's just been applied? Since my hair is natural, I feel that their little pouch is not gonna be enough conditioning for me. I'd like to keep my regular routine of DC'ing, moisturizing and sealing. Any thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored Links

RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2010 at 10:56am
i've used that particular brand before and love it actually .... my sister & i have used just the condish that comes with it with no problem. it actually made my hair really soft .... my hair may be a special case, but i think adding a DC may be too much moisture for me .... so i say test it out and see how your hair feels first - if it feels like it needs moisture, DC the next day
NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2010 at 11:04am
Originally posted by RoxieDream RoxieDream wrote:

i've used that particular brand before and love it actually .... my sister & i have used just the condish that comes with it with no problem. it actually made my hair really soft .... my hair may be a special case, but i think adding a DC may be too much moisture for me .... so i say test it out and see how your hair feels first - if it feels like it needs moisture, DC the next day

Thanks. If it made your hair soft, it might be more moisturizing than I thought. I'll follow your advice
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2010 at 11:15am
No problemo :-)

Have you ever colored your hair in the past?

You need to stay on top of your moisture\protein balance game once you do color

I've been staring at that same color in my closet, I've just never snapped out of my laziness and got around to coloring my hair yet LOL
NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2010 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by RoxieDream RoxieDream wrote:

No problemo :-)

Have you ever colored your hair in the past?

You need to stay on top of your moisture\protein balance game once you do color

I've been staring at that same color in my closet, I've just never snapped out of my laziness and got around to coloring my hair yet LOL

Not while natural, I haven't. I chose this brand because it washes out after 6 to 8 shampoos, so I'm assuming it only coats the hair? I don't want any damage. I noticed a henna mix at the BSS but I didn't buy it cuz I felt too lazy myself
glow-music-sass View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 6:37am
if its semi permanent you may strip the color if you go crazy on the moisture. you can use semi permanent once a week to make your color last and there is 0 damage
NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by glow-music-sass glow-music-sass wrote:

if its semi permanent you may strip the color if you go crazy on the moisture. you can use semi permanent once a week to make your color last and there is 0 damage

Damn, it would have made more sense for me to pick the henna.  Once a week is too labor-intensive for me. And I didn't think of my water/glycerin mix. That color will be bleeding constantly. Oh well, next time.

Does anybody know if the pre-packaged henna that you find at the BSS and drugstores is ok? The color is indicated on the pack (black, dark brown, etc..), so I'm assuming it's already been mixed with the indigo.
I remember ordering online when I colored my mom's hair last year and I had a hard time coming up with the hue that I wanted to achieve...
cookiezbaby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 9:05am
I JUST PURCHASED THE CLAIROL SEI-PERM JET BLACK...I'M HOPING FOR THE BEST IT'S THE 1ST TIME I'VE USED THIS PARTICULAR BRAND...I HAVE BEEN USING THE DOMINICAN-COLOR SHOWERS FROM ROUNDBRUSH.COM (I LOVE IT)!! WELL ANYWAYS I PLAN TO DC AFTERWARDS JUST BECAUSE IT'S A CHEMICAL...ALSO, THIS WAS A SINGLE BOTTLE NOT A KIT SO I'M GOING TO FOLLOW MY REGULAR WASH ROUTINE..IT'S A SEMI SO I EXPECT THE COLOR TO BE STRIPPED AS MUCH AS I WASH MY HAIR ANYWAYS.
NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 10:21am
Originally posted by cookiezbaby cookiezbaby wrote:

I JUST PURCHASED THE CLAIROL SEI-PERM JET BLACK...I'M HOPING FOR THE BEST IT'S THE 1ST TIME I'VE USED THIS PARTICULAR BRAND...I HAVE BEEN USING THE DOMINICAN-COLOR SHOWERS FROM ROUNDBRUSH.COM (I LOVE IT)!! WELL ANYWAYS I PLAN TO DC AFTERWARDS JUST BECAUSE IT'S A CHEMICAL...ALSO, THIS WAS A SINGLE BOTTLE NOT A KIT SO I'M GOING TO FOLLOW MY REGULAR WASH ROUTINE..IT'S A SEMI SO I EXPECT THE COLOR TO BE STRIPPED AS MUCH AS I WASH MY HAIR ANYWAYS.

Let me know how it works out for you. I'm doing mine today.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic