Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - debra lee, bet president, says black people aint
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

debra lee, bet president, says black people aint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prtybrwneye_z View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prtybrwneye_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:51pm
I like some of the shows on OWN...I don't associate BET with positive programming with substance and neither do they so she needs to stop it.
Sponsored Links

ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:52pm
She needs to realize that it's about more than just adding 1 or 2 programs. They have to have substance and be well written and presented. Also, after years of failure on her part, people will be reluctant to return to BET. 
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:57pm
For instance, BET has nothing original a la Supernatural, Nashville, Scandal, The Good Wife. All shows which I watch. Not only do you have to come strong, but you have to compete with other good shows with amazing writers out there. I'm not going to just give you a view because it's a black station. I watch other things on multiple networks that are amazing in my eyes. I am a loyal follower of most of my shows. I'm not going to give up watching something else I very much enjoy for the mere purpose of supporting a black station. If they want my view, they have to earn it.
niecy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

She needs to realize that it's about more than just adding 1 or 2 programs. They have to have substance and be well written and presented. Also, after years of failure on her part, people will be reluctant to return to BET. 

Basically. Also, how can you expect someone to watch these shows if they don't even know they exist. BET's promoting of some of their shows sucks compared to how other television stations promote their shows TBH.
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 10:02pm
I need to get caught up on Supernatural this season...I love that show. And The Walking Dead is cool. She knows she is dead wrong....She needs to come on with some great written tv, that is also black. Good first and black second....She needs to have a seat
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Midwest_Da_Gawd Midwest_Da_Gawd wrote:

LMAO she's 100% right.

Although I agree with her, I haven't watched BET since say ohhhh 2004. Even when BET was prepping for the Viacom takeover in the early 2000s, they had already started watering themselves down. BET is an embarrassing mirror for the AA community for all that's wrong (and unfairly glorified) within our community. It's a serious trainwreck that I refuse to watch.
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 10:10pm
The same people watching any ratchetness that comes on BET are the same ones watching quality shows like Scandal. BET just has to come with it.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

For instance, BET has nothing original a la Supernatural, Nashville, Scandal, The Good Wife. All shows which I watch. Not only do you have to come strong, but you have to compete with other good shows with amazing writers out there. I'm not going to just give you a view because it's a black station. I watch other things on multiple networks that are amazing in my eyes. I am a loyal follower of most of my shows. I'm not going to give up watching something else I very much enjoy for the mere purpose of supporting a black station. If they want my view, they have to earn it.

Yup yup.

Why don't they have a legal show like the practice or judging amy or law & order but with black characters? why don't they have any cop shows like new york undercover? can I get a black csi? or a black spy show? If Bill Cosby could convince folks that he was a spy for several seasons back in the day, surely we can have one now.

And what about a sci-fi or fantasy show featuring black characters? Or how about a reality show where people have to live like sharecroppers? or a black (meaning everything in the diaspora) jeopardy where kids can win college scholarships?

I just feel like they aren't trying hard enough.
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Yeah I still wouldn't go.
Just being on that show is embarrassing .

I used to work around the corner from Maury, and everything about that show is ratchet to the 10th power. Even the low budget ppl they pay to be in the audience look horrible. I used to see them on my lunch break. And most of the people actually on the show are actors as well. That's why he sleeps at night lol...bc it's not real.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

What positive black programs do you watch BHM?

Anything with Melissa Harris Perry
Anything with Soledad OBrien
Six Little Mcghees (OWN network)
Welcome to Sweetie Pies (OWN network)
Tia and Tamera (STYLE network)

I just found her show like last month.  I am mad I am so late.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic