FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Dashcam video clears NJ man

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dashcam video clears NJ man
    Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 8:42am

Dashcam video clears NJ man

BLOOMFIELD, NJ (WABC) -- The tale of the police dashcam video has now helped clear a Bloomfield, New Jersey man who faced a multitude of criminal charges, including eluding police and assault.

Investigative Reporter Sarah Wallace obtained the dashcam tapes, and has spoken exclusively with the 30-year old DJ who was looking at years in prison.

It was quite a turnabout, all the criminal charges against Marcus Jeter have been dismissed, and two Bloomfield police officers have been indicted for falsifying reports, and one of them, for assault.

A third pleaded guilty early on to tampering. It's all thanks to those dashcam tapes. It's the video that prosecutors say they never saw when the pursued criminal charges against 30 year-old Marcus Jeter . In the video, his hands were in the air. He was charged with eluding police, resisting arrest and assault. One officer in the video can be seen throwing repeated punches.

Sarah Wallace: "It this tape hadn't surfaced?"
Marcus: "I'd be in jail."

This video was only turned over by Bloomfield police after Jeter's attorney filed a request for records; at the time prosecutors were insistent that Jeter do prison time.

"The first plea was 5 years," said Jeter.

The incident began when cops were called to the Bloomfield home Jeter shares with his girlfriend. No charges were filed and Jeter says he left after briefly talking to officers.

Sarah Wallace: "They say you eluded police."
Jeter: "When they got behind me, I pulled over."
Sarah: "So you weren't trying to escape."
"No." said Jeter.

You can clearly see Jeter pulling over and stopping on the side of the Garden State parkway. The cops pull out guns.

Sarah: "Why didn't you get out of the car?"
Jeter: "Because I was afraid."
Jeter: "There was a cop on my right with a gun, a cop on the other side with a shotgun."
Jeter:"I'm afraid I might get shot."
Sarah: "If you got out."

The tape not initially turned over shows a second police car coming from the opposite direction, crossing the median into ongoing traffic, and then striking Jeter's car. There is no mention of that in any police report. When Jeter first told his attorney that part of the story.

"It was incredible, I didn't believe it at that point in time," he said. He adds, "The next thing I know, one of them busts the door and there is glass all over my face."

SARAH: "Your hands are up."
Jeter: "My hands are up."
Jeter: "As soon as they opened the door, one officer reached in an punched me in my face." He adds, "As he's trying to take off my seatbelt, I'm thinking something is going to go wrong."

Jeter says the officers were hitting him and telling him not to resist arrest. "All I keep saying is I'm not doing anything," he adds. "They handcuffed me and one of them hits me in the back." The attorney for Jeter says while showing Eyewitness News the video, "Here a state trooper arrives on the scene and clearly wants no participation in it and that's where one of the officers punch Mr. Jeter in the head after he was clearly placed in handcuffs," said Steven Brown.

As soon as Prosecutors saw this video, they dismissed all of the charges against Jeter. Interesting to note, an investigation by Bloomfield PD's scandal plagued internal affairs division had found no wrongdoing by officers.

Brown says, "I believe the blame is with the Bloomfield police department for not providing that tape. If we hadn't had the tapes in this case, an innocent man would be in jail today."

---
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news%2Finvestigators&id=9440401

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIW9V6hYYOE
Sponsored Links

IslandSuga View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote IslandSuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 8:48am
Cops are disgusting. Thank goodness this tape surfaced and Jeter got off.
MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 8:50am
This is absolutely disgusting why were they not locked up and why was one able to retire quietly...Makes me wonder how many black men in prison under false pretenses... Angry
alynxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alynxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 9:02am
Disgusting. Sick.
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 9:13am
I believe ALL cops should be equipped with personal camera's and mics while on duty, not just dash cams. I think it would substantially eliminate abuse and corruption.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 9:19am
I don't understand why they needed a tape to clear him. I thought it was innocent until proven guilty. But they take whatever the police say at  face value knowing those people are corrupt.
cvzx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cvzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 9:33am
Question, the NAACP or National Black Action Network or anyone else can't pay or use pro bono attorney's ( payoff some of their student loans) to start representing minorities esp black minorities in heavily police corrupted areas that are known to have cases like this?

This is sickening, we can't stop it but I can reduce it and make a push to generate laws to protect us.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 10:22am
he should go after that cops pension
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 10:30am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

he should go after that cops pension

you cant collect on a person's pension.  word to OJ.
hauteshellbi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hauteshellbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 4:45pm
Damn his own lawyer didn't believe him. I'm happy the tape surfaced
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic