Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDamaged and devasted..please help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
77star View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damaged and devasted..please help!
    Posted: Apr 15 2004 at 4:33pm
Okay...sighhh....I have no idea what my hair is doing and need advice. I have been natural for the last eight years but decided recently that I wanted to get texturized because I exercise daily and was sweating out my press and braid out. I tried weaves to some sucess but they just got itchy and my hair wasn't breathing. So I went to a salon and talked with a haidresser who said I would have to cut my hair because the ends were damaged from too much pressing and highlighted bleached ends. So he cut my hair into a short bob looking thing (but I still have some bleached ends) and texturized the new growth (it was on about 7 - 9 minutes total) than just pulled the relaxer over the ends, it was on the ends all of two minutes before I made him wash it out. It came out okay at the salon. He put gel on it and it was fine while it was wet. Well....when it dried - all hell broke loose. It looked like a shrunk up mushroom. I have cried for three days and finally have found a lady to do some individuals. I am driving my fiancee crazy. Please send what advice you can. I had long hair so I am a bit traumatized. I am willing to cut any damage but I'm not sure what's really damged and whats over/under processed. Please help about how to re-grow my once beautiful hair.
Sponsored Links

Valynt9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2004 at 6:19pm

First cut the damage.  If it is splitting, snaps when you pull it, or is bone straight without any added heat or wrapping...it's damaged.

I know where you are coming from....went from bra strap to chin lenght bob....and I back at bra strap, so you can re-grow the hair.

MOISTURE!!!!! that is the number one key.  Not oil, but hydration.

Mositure shampoo, deep conditioning every week.  A protein treatment once a month.  Mositure leave in every day.....make sure you are covering your hair at night (silk or stain).  No braids or anything else that is pulling on the hair.

Wraps if your hair will take them.

You will get through this....

Miss_Hollywood View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2004 at 12:46am
Valynt9, you always have some good advice for taking care of hair, I just wanted to thank you because your always so helpful.
streets View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2004 at 8:55pm

I know where you are coming from....went from bra strap to chin lenght bob....and I back at bra strap, so you can re-grow the hair.

Val- how did you do this?

Valynt9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2004 at 11:33pm

You're welcome...I just hope that I can save some people by my mistakes.

Time and TLC.  Mositure, as I said.  Wash once a week, deep condition once a week, protein treatment once a month, conditioning treatment from my stylest once a month (in the begining), and TRIMING! (doing the big chop was the biggest step towards getting healthy hair) realxer every 8 weeks at the most (usually 12 weeks).

But mostly time and tlc.  I didn't figure it was going to happen overnight and I knew there was no wonder product out there.

jd2be View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2004 at 8:41am

Yeah...I just cut off a lot!  The longest layers were just about to the middle of my back...now it's just at my shoulders...maybe an inch past them....it wasn't that bad.  I have been using the mango butter and my hair does feel very moisurized and my ends look good.

I do have a question though...I got my hair washed on Monday and it already seems like my hair is flat..a little weighed down and all I've been using is the mango butter.  Do you guys put the mango butter on all of your hair or just the ends?

Valynt9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2004 at 10:40am

I don't use it so I can't help you with the specifics of that product.

Anything you use every day is going to start weighting down your hair by the end of the week (even my mositure spray will start to build up).  That is why it is recomemded to wash at least once a week. Heck just having your head out in the world is going to cause things to build up on it.

Kayday23 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2004 at 2:33pm
I use Mango butter and I generally just put it on my ends but I do put it all over when I redo my twists
Entrepreneur View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2004 at 9:41pm

Greetings Ladies, I need your help.  I am thinking about growing out my perm and I don't know the best way to do it.  I don't want to chop all my hair off and start from scratch but I know at some point cutting will be necessary. Can anyone suggest a way to start this process without cutting my hair off and protecting the hair that I have until the new growth is long enough so that I can get a decent style?

Thickhair4u View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2004 at 9:56pm

YOU CAN WEAR BRAIDS ESPECIALLY WEAR THEM IN THE SUMMER YOUR HAIR WILL GROW FASTER AND I GUESS YOU CAN GRADUALLY CUT YOU HAIR.

vALYNT WHY DID U HAVE TO CUT YOUR HAIR AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOU TO GROW IT BACK BECAUSE I SAW YOUR PICS AND YOU HAVE PRETTY HAIR SO YOUR MY HAIR INSPIRATION RIGHT NOW MY HAIR IS AT MY COLLAR BONE AAND I WANT IT AT LEAST TO MY BRA STRAP IF NOTHING ELSE.

Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic