Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CWK Straight Plates - Straighten Hair w/o Heat?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

CWK Straight Plates - Straighten Hair w/o Heat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
DixieDarlin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DixieDarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CWK Straight Plates - Straighten Hair w/o Heat?
    Posted: Jun 01 2014 at 5:54pm
Has anybody seen this?? I want to try this out, but she seems to promote it only for natural hair and I have relaxed hair.

IDK if the video is going to post, so here's this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJlTt02SUis

And here's her kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1855194586/cwk-straight-plates-straighten-hair-without-heat

She should probably go on Shark Tank (the tv show), this seems like a great idea. 
Sponsored Links

NJoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2014 at 8:06pm
She stole the idea...and, apparently the wording used in the video.  It's patented by someone else already. #whomp
thelurkingKind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelurkingKind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2014 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by NJoy NJoy wrote:

She stole the idea...and, apparently the wording used in the video.  It's patented by someone else already. #whomp

I read about this on another board but the accuser had yet to back up that claim. Who was he idea and patent stolen from? TIA
DixieDarlin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DixieDarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 2:10am
Originally posted by NJoy NJoy wrote:

Wow, I didn't know about this... I JUST found out about this today, probably should have researched about it more.

If anything, it reminds me of the tension method when blow drying.
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 3:44am
I just want to get my set of plates!  AND I am looking forward to participating in the CWK Straight plate challenge. She can work out whose idea it was afterward as long as I get my set. 
These types of plates are already on the market for God's sake! They have been selling these as waving plates for almost 50 years! This will just be a flat version. 
Conair Wave Clips

Kevin Murphy Wave Clips

No one is claiming the patent to them in the wavy form for God's sake!
They are like rollers or any other setting product. I really do not see any of them as patent worthy.

I hope she goes on with the project because there will always be detractors. Neither of the above vendors of wave clips is harassing the other about who invented the general concept of pressing the hair between something. Who gives a heck? I hope she continues and succeeds!  
Most importantly, I WANT MY SET OF THESE THINGS for my own hair. They can sort out whose idea it was afterward LOL

I did find the patent online 
Hair straightening clamp
US D207146 S
IMAGES(2)
Patent Drawing

Patent Drawing

DESCRIPTION  (OCR text may contain errors)

United States Patent Ofifice 207,146

Patented Mar. 7, 1967 HAIR STRAIGHTENING CLAMP Franco Bulbarelli, Via Bullona 22, and Onofrio Mastrorilli, 40 Via Principe Eugenio, both of Milan, Italy Filed Apr. 5, 1966, Ser. No. 1,789

Term of patent 14 years (Cl. D8610) Des. 207,146

PAGE 2 FIG. 1 is an end elevational view of a hair straightening clamp showing our new design;

FIG. 2 is a top plan view thereof;

FIG. 3 is a front elevational view;

FIG. 4 is a bottom plan view;

FIG, 5 is a rear elevational view;

FIG. 6 is an outside plan view thereof in an opened fiat position with the clamping elements removed; and

FIG. 7 is a plan view of the side opposite that shown in FIG. 6.

We claim:

The ornamental design for a hair straightening clamp, as shown and described.

1 l I: l 1 Q, n i l l l i 1 z i i i i l] l l ll it ij' is i l] 1 l References Cited by the Examiner UNITED STATES PATENTS 1,539,898 6/1925 Franklin 132-38 1,727,218 9/1929 Rusak 132-38 2,344,097 3/1944 Leclabart 13238 2,955,604 10/1960 Beal et a1. 13238 EDWIN H. HUNTER, Primary Examiner LOIS LANIER, Assistant Examiner.

Publication numberUSD207146 S
Publication typeGrant
Publication dateMar 7, 1967
Filing dateApr 5, 1966
InventorsFranco Bulbarelli
Export CitationBiBTeXEndNoteRefMan
External Links: USPTOUSPTO AssignmentEspacenet

According to this, the patent EXPIRED already in 1981. My opinion on this is that she has significantly altered the original plan of the clamp and designed her own version of them also. Her version offers excellent ventilation while holding the hair smoother than the original design. 
The original design had flaws because it was not vented and thereby would not allow the hair to dry.
The original design was  in fact not functional as it did not allow the hair to dry within a reasonable time due to the solid plates.
Her vented model which is similar to the Conair Wave Clips above CHANGED the original
design and improved on it to allow better drying yet smoothing of tighter curl patterns

So, imo, even though the entity above had the original patent, her new version significantly IMPROVES upon 
and thus antiquates the original design by providing a superior blend of venting while retaining tension which
the original designed lacked.

THERE ARE MANY PATENTS FOR HAIR WAVING CLAMPS https://www.google.com/search?tbm=pts&hl=en&q=hair+waving+clamp+patent THEY ALL SLIGHTLY MODIFY THE OTHERS AND THE DIFFERENCES
BETWEEN EACH MODEL IS OFTEN QUITE INSIGNIFICANT, YET EACH MODEL HOLDS ITS OWN PATENT.
I THEREFORE CLAIM THAT HER VERSION IS EQUALLY WORTHY OF ITS OWN PATENT JUST AS THE MANY WAVE CLAMPS EACH HAVE THEIR OWN PATENT.   If necessary, she can simply change the final design 
a bit more to bring this point home. There are many brilliant minds out there who would be more than 
willing to assist her to make any subtle modifications to the design to insure its originality of concept in order 
to see this project through.

She is TECHNICALLY NOT SELLING the clamps now. Her current actions are a kickstart campaign to attain funds for further research and development. If necessary, she may engage in similar subsequent campaigns until she arrives at a sufficiently novel design to warrant her own patent.  If necessary, focus on the locking mechanism or by what ever means necessary to establish its originality. Thus I say to 
this brilliant designer, Godspeed, best wishes and keep it going girl!

PS: The original design from 1966 featured clamps across the hair horizontally. Why not make this version clamp down vertically instead and with a different locking mechanism as well as the venting.  This will also assist with maintaining tension on the ENDS as you close them.  If you are clamping vertically down as you go as opposed to across you may hold on to the tips until the final instant when you clamp the device.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 02 2014 at 3:20pm
NJoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:40pm
*le sigh*

Please just stop.  All the information in the world doesn't change the facts. 

so, yeah.  I personally know the patent-holder.  It is for the EXACT product in the video and the video uses some of her EXACT verbage. For this reason, I think it's someone who she's worked with on the project or someone that she's shared the information with, which in my book makes it doubly dirty.

The patent is not for wave plates and is current and public information.  She is on the hair boards on the regular and has seen the video (which is actually how I found out about it).  I'm not sure that she's said anything publicly so, I won't share her name until I know that she has.  But, I'm sure that the folks trying to raise funding for this will be hearing from her attorneys soon enough, if not already.

She is showing remarkable restraint, as I would've said something by now.  But, it's not my fight and I don't know how they're planning on going after her so I'll just let them handle all that. But still, I can't help but be irritated whenever I see the video pop up or hear people speak with authority in a matter that they have no real knowledge.

This is someone's work. How would you feel? Shoot, I know how it feels to have pictures and videos stolen. I can't even imagine this would compare.  Anyway, she has nothing to worry about and seriously, she's probably getting some free marketing research outta the deal.

Suffice it to say, the copycats can raise all the money they like, they won't be able to keep it or profit from a patented product. And that's just how that goes.

Oh, and if the person is reading my comments, shame on you. I'd ordinarily give the benefit of the doubt, saying maybe you just had the same idea.  But I've seen her marketing materials ahead of this video and know that this is NOT a coincidence. Shame on you. 

Luckily she had the forethought to have her work patented. #Godgiveswisdom

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 9:24pm
Is your friend the person in the above patent  for straightening plates from 1967 Njoy (Franco Bulbarelli ) or another person with a patent for straight plates?  If it is another  individual other than Franco Bulbarelli who patented STRAIGHTENING clamps in 1967 then there are at least TWO patents for straight plates already. Since you say "she" I assume it is not the same patent as Franco Bulbarelli. And yes, he patented straightening plates not waving plates in 1967. I mentioned waving plates to show how there are several patents for waving plates so I am not surprised that there are already apparently at least  two patents for straightening plate designs as well and perhaps a third soon if Ms. Bradley's reaches fruition. Is your friend planning to ever produce her  product or is she just sitting on her patent? Perhaps she should be productive, produce some prototypes and do a kickstarter also Thumbs Up I don't know anyone involved so I wish them all well in their ventures! After all, there are PLENTY of waving plates on the market. I think it would be great to have a few straight plates on the market as well! Perhaps this is the right time for a lot of new advances and developments Smile 
Since Ms. Bradley has supposedly also applied for a patent, I am sure the U. S. Patent Office will sort it all out.
Best wishes Njoy 

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 03 2014 at 11:58am
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 7:41am
Hey ladies, guess what, you can already buy hair straightening clamps from Asia also.

Morning Wake-up Emergency Hair Straightening Clamps 

There are reviews posted as early as 2010 so I am not sure how long they have been on the market already.
You can get a two pack also http://www.dx.com/p/morning-wake-up-emergency-hair-straightening-clamps-2-pack-16467#.U43QPPldW84 and bulk pricing if you use the code BULKPRICE at checkout. 

For me jumbo rollers used in a wet set or pony tail roller set will work just as well followed by wrapping at night or some would want to do a saran wrap for further smoothing.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 03 2014 at 8:14am
NJoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

Is your friend the person in the above patent  for straightening plates from 1967 Njoy (Franco Bulbarelli ) or another person with a patent for straight plates?  If it is another  individual other than Franco Bulbarelli who patented STRAIGHTENING clamps in 1967 then there are at least TWO patents for straight plates already. Since you say "she" I assume it is not the same patent as Franco Bulbarelli. And yes, he patented straightening plates not waving plates in 1967. I mentioned waving plates to show how there are several patents for waving plates so I am not surprised that there are already apparently at least  two patents for straightening plate designs as well and perhaps a third soon if Ms. Bradley's reaches fruition. Is your friend planning to ever produce her  product or is she just sitting on her patent? Perhaps she should be productive, produce some prototypes and do a kickstarter also Thumbs Up I don't know anyone involved so I wish them all well in their ventures! After all, there are PLENTY of waving plates on the market. I think it would be great to have a few straight plates on the market as well! Perhaps this is the right time for a lot of new advances and developments Smile 
Since Ms. Bradley has supposedly also applied for a patent, I am sure the U. S. Patent Office will sort it all out.
Best wishes Njoy 

Ok.  LOL  The run around with all the plates and this 1967 patent. LOL

Just so that we're clear...

I'm only talking about the product shown in the video, seeking funding. Not the 50-11 other plates or a patent issued, probably before she was born.  I'm ONLY referring to the product in the video...seeking funding.  There is nothing for the UPTO to sort out.  Ms. Bradley won't be able to get a patent on the same design.  Who knows. Maybe she can raise enough money to buy the patent. LOL  Nah. I would think a Cease and Desist Order is more likely. But, that's just my own speculation on that. We'll just have to see how this plays out.

But hey, I find it pretty presumptuous of you to say "perhaps she should be productive, produce some prototypes and do a kickstarter also".  Really?  She designed, got it patented already and has prototypes. Sounds pretty productive to me.  And maybe she doesn't need to solicit funding. *shrugs* Again, I'm just speculating. LOL

Well, that was fun.  Now, if you don't mind, I'm gonna get back to growing hair. Cool? Or nah?
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 3:45am
For some reason I just can't get the image of crabs in a barrel out of my mind. They keep pulling each other back down instead of working together to get out of the darn barrel. Maybe your friend can contact Ms.Bradley and they can work together. Many Europeans network and  collaborate that way. If not I guess there will NEVER be straight plates on the market ...(except out of Asia) and just a bunch of products for the Europeans as usual. If one person has one strength and another another strength, they can use them together as partners and succeed. Ms. Bradley obviously has the strength of getting the ball rolling in a short time, getting herself seen and in everyone's eye. I don't think anyone ever heard of the other prototype. I have still seen no evidence of any other prototype. And the only patent I've found online is the expired patent of Franco Bulbarelli. People can claim they applied for a patent for one year and never actually have been granted a patent.  If this person that no one has heard of and can't find online actually exists, I think they should try to work together and make this succeed.
HHG.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 04 2014 at 4:16am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair