Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Curls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Curly perms?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
sandra080 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandra080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curly perms?
    Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 4:42pm
Which brand of curly perm are you ladies using?

Which do YOU think is the best brand out there?

Sponsored Links

Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2009 at 11:32am
Hi Sandra Smile

I've had quite a few perms including Global Choice in 2007-8, Carefree Curl from Jan 2009 to Mar 2009 & now the Avlon Ferm Perm. I now think some perms may be kinder to the hair (i didn't always think this) but I also think it has a lot to do with the hairdresser's skill, the maintenance regime & the condition of your hair. Here's a review of those perms:

Global Choice: I can't comment too much on this one as I started to misuse protein on it (unintentionally) & my hair became damaged & broke. But before that I loved it. Although I had lots of split ends & knots plus short broken hairs after I combed, my hair grew really fast & a lot of people actually noticed. If I'd had the hair care knowledge back then I had now, I might still be with Global Choice.

Carefree Curl: I loved the fact it gave really good curl definition, but my hair was v dry & porous & I eventually discovered it was over-processed. It gave a silkier looking curl, but as my hair is coarse & resistant I was always v aware of the difference between the new growth & the processed hair. Anyway, my hairdresser was really nice but I didn't agree with some of her practices hence my move to Ferm.

Ferm: I've only had it for a few weeks but I already really like it. The texture is more afroey but I have good curl definition... And even though my hairdresser says my processed ends will have to go Cry I'm currently having v little breakage. My hair feels soft & moisturised.

There's another curly perm post that receives more traffic, you could post your question in there: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=134386&PN=54

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Jun 20 2009 at 11:36am
SimoneC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimoneC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2009 at 1:30pm
i was thinking about going curly myself. i just dont know where to start
Missloli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missloli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2009 at 10:02am
my sisters hair is like 3c hair... full whispy not sooo coarse but coarse enough.. I hope you understand cuz I cant explain it... and I want to give her a curly perm... what should I use? I am at a loss and I want her to look good for her interview... lemmie know

-la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2009 at 1:46pm
Hmmm... if you want her hair to look good for her interview perhaps you should wait 'till after the interview before perming it. Perms don't always take the first time. This happened to me, I didn't get good curl definition until my retouch & this has happened to others also.

ETA: Oops, I must've missed the bit where you said your sister has 3c curls. I would say in that case to work with her natural curls instead. If she has a curly perm & her hair is not in good condition her hair will not look good. Curly perming isn't an easy solution, she'll still have to work out what moisturises & defines her curls whether she is natural or permed.

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Sep 28 2009 at 8:28am
Missloli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missloli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 3:57pm
well her hair is currently "permed" (and I use this term loosely b/c she NEVER takes care of her hair) so Im wondering if a curly perm would get all the relaxed hair curly as well? or would it look a hot mess? or should I just got off the straight ends?? Help!

-la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 6:20pm
Her hair is relaxed? Then no, it wouldn't, because the chemical used to straighten in relaxers is not the same chemical used to straighten in the first step of a curly perm. IMO she would be v lucky to get even a hint of a curl if her hair is relaxed.

Also, re curly perming over relaxer or vice versa - don't let her do it!!! The risk of severe damage/breakage is too high. To this day I've only heard of one person who did this without major damage... but I think she may have put a relaxer over her cp'd hair, not the other way round.

Curly perms are not a quick fix - are you sure your sister wants it done? I'd only recommend it if she loves curls & wants to have them for quite some time coz it would a pain to grow it out. Also, she may need to experiment with rod sizes until gets the look she wants. Not to mention experimenting with hair products & regimes until she works out what will keep her hair moisturised without being drippy.

There is another thread  that is v popular, perhaps you should post some questions there. Also, ask her to read that thread, not necessarily all of it as it's quite long but at skim it to get a general idea of what curly perms entail: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=134386&PN=58
Missloli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missloli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2009 at 8:09am
well, here's the scoop... she currently is rockin a TWA (which she gets complients on btw) and its pretty much all NG... the straight ends are falling off b/c she hasnt had a perm in a looooong time. I just want to get that curl definition ...still a 'fro but defined. Do you think that would damage her hair??

-la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2009 at 8:23pm
No, this actually sounds OK to me. She could cut off the remainder of the relaxed ends & curly perm the regrowth. Or IMO only, she could try curly perming all of her hair & see what happens. However, she must be aware of the the following:

1) The ends may not curl & may need to be cut in order for it to look good.
2) The ends may be severely damaged & break off anyway.

So, as long as she is prepared for these outcomes she could take a chance. BTW, this is the first time I've actually said it might be OK to cp relaxed hair & this is only because if her breaks or needs to be cut off she won't lose that much. Plus as you said above, short hair suits her.

HoneyA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2009 at 10:57pm
Sandra, I have a Wave by Design perm. It's a perm that gives really soft cascading curls. I've only had this one and the Wave Nouveau and the Wave Nouveau was too harsh for my scalp.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>