Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCurly Hair Products: Not Break Thru but...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Hair ViVi

Author
SenatorCaroline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curly Hair Products: Not Break Thru but...
    Posted: Sep 28 2007 at 1:51pm
I just thought I would share anyway.

Like many of you I have a hair product graveyard under my sink and in my closet.  Mostly from trial and error with products suggested by other BHM members.

Right now I have a "homemade install" of Wagman's DC and Halley's DC installed dyed jet black and I use nothing on the hair but water and pure Aloe Vera  (not gel) that I purchased from Whole Foods. 

In my opinion this combination keeps my hair looking more fabulous than any of the Sunsilk-Garnier-Noodleheald-Dream Curls-Pantene-Biolage products evvvvvvvver did.   Also some of my products from the past caused me to break-out...not just from build-up...but even when putting them on a fresh install of fresh out of the mailbox Wagman's.

The brand of Aloe Vera I have is from Aubrey Organics in a little white and green bottle and advises that I "refrigerate after opening for best results."

Also, I put water into a spray bottle from my Brita filter...not sure if this makes much of a difference...just makes me feel special.

There are a few more recent pics on my myspace page as well...

Anti Sew-In's Since September 2007

Edited by SenatorCaroline - Sep 30 2007 at 6:51pm
Sponsored Links

havilland View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2007 at 2:11pm
thanks!  i will have to try this...sounds light and natural for the hair.
essence View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2007 at 3:06pm
yeah ... ive said countless times that with curly hair less product is better.... i think people get scared of curly hair and try to over-product-ize Big%20smile it... i generally only apply plain h20 and maybe a lil IC moisturizing gel to my curly hair ... and some days its just h20 w/nothing else.....

if the  hair brand is one that tends to get really big then i will put a lil Garnier spray gel to help control the volume.....
SenatorCaroline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2007 at 5:00pm

"The less product the better...."  

This was actually the best advice Marie67 ever gave me.  When my hair wants to show off and get really poofy I just tame it by spritzing more water on it with my spray bottle.

Also I deep condition my "homemade weave" every two weeks or so with Nexxus Hummetrus and the John Frieda Rehydrate.

Water and pure Aloe Vera (again not the gel) ain't nothing but the truth...

Now if I could only get a refund for all these products under my bathroom sink...Confused

Anti Sew-In's Since September 2007

Edited by SenatorCaroline - Sep 30 2007 at 6:52pm
moremi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2007 at 5:02pm
not this is not great at ALL
ONE MORE THING TO BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol.............

koffeebrown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2007 at 5:14pm
yep i love Aloe vera. I keep a big bottle in fridge for my homemade face, body and hair mixtures. And even my store bought products i will add a bit of AV to them (depending on ingredients). It is the greatest for curlies. Also honey is another natural product that works for kinky curls. And the less product the better. I use leave in conditioner and ONE product only at a time. yall might notice when i mention product i will say something like Curl keeper OR sebastian wet. NEver both

ETA: i think curly hairs vary tho. Because i have had some textures of curly hair that needed some heavy product. It was not light moveable curly hair, but more thick and big type. But heavy product was needed to give it a sheen and some controlability (sp) . I don't prefer that type of hair, but i do know u need diff things for diff hair types. Which is why i have 3 under sink cabinets and a storage tower full of product. lol.
But i say do what works for u. If u're not getting result u want , try less product and that might work. My fav curly hairs are NG, Bliss, Peruvian and with those i know--  less is MORE.  

Edited by koffeebrown - Sep 28 2007 at 5:20pm
newtothis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2007 at 7:10pm
Senator Caroline... quick question. How do you get your tp blend so well with the curly one? I LOVE IT
trader View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2007 at 8:56pm
Hey newtothis, I was going to ask her the same thing. It looks sooo natural..... so Sen. Caroline, whats the secret?
Curly1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2007 at 9:04pm
Ditto....Bump!! LOL

Curly1~
BlackEsq View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2007 at 9:34pm
Thanks SO much for this. I will definitely try it. I use Aloe Vera for a lot of other reasons already so this is great to know!

eta: Your hair is FLAWLESS!!!!!

Edited by Ameisha - Sep 28 2007 at 9:37pm
Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic