Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Creator of For Brown Girls Commits Suicide at Age
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Creator of For Brown Girls Commits Suicide at Age

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 8:40pm
This article reminds me of my cousin who thinks mental illness straight up isn't real.

Motivational Blogger Karyn Washington Dead at 22 From Apparent Suicide

April 11, 2014 at 6:38PM by Heather Wood Rudulph
  •  
  •  
  • < border="0" ="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" ="0" ="0" width="100%" id="I0_1397525921687" name="I0_1397525921687" ="https://apis.google.com/u/0/_/+1/share?plusShare=true&usegapi=1&=share&annotation=bubble&count=true&height=32&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cosmopolitan.com&=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cosmopolitan.com%2Fcelebrity%2Fnews%2Fkaryn-washington-suicide&g=3p&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.Z0T4ejFDQi8.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DAQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Fz%3Dzcms%2Frs%3DAItRSTMkT6pC-_gb2QICyfHFDXdNrMO2Zg#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_%2C_%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cd%2Ce%2C&id=I0_1397525921687&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cosmopolitan.com&pfname=&rpctoken=41763469" -gapiattached="true" title="+Share" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: none; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: line; : static; top: 0px; width: 96px; left: 0px; visibility: ; height: 32px;">
  •  
  •  

Karyn Washington wanted to make other women of color feel pretty. She founded the blog For Brown Girls when she was just 19 to inspire women with darker skin tones to love their looks, and share stories of what she called "colorism" — discrimination based not just on race, but the degree of darkness of one’s skin. It quickly grew into a social movement for groups of like-minded — and similarly complexioned — women to get together and talk about the things that make them feel marginalized, and then do something about it. Her Dark Skin, Red Lip project, which encouraged black women to rock whatever shade of red lipstick made them feel gorgeous, became a social phenomenon of empowerment through beauty.

Washington died April 8 of an apparent suicide. She was just 22.

According to friends, Washington was suffering from depression and mental illness brought on by the death of her mother in 2013. Her fans and followers are devastated by the loss of someone who inspired them so much. And many in the African-American community are taking this tragedy as an opportunity to talk about the stigma of mental illness, and the silence that conceals it.

"When your community tells you that you’re better off praying than seeking the advice of medical professionals and medication, you feel shame when you feel your mind is breaking," writes blogger Christelyn Karazin. "There is no safe place. To admit to any mental frailty is to invite scorn and mockery, accusations of acting white.

"Because only white people suffer from depression. Only white people commit suicide.

"Black women are strong.

"Black women are not human.

"And this is a LIE."

Washington was also a passionate advocate for urban agriculture and speaking out about the racial bias in the organic food movement. "If we’re talking about sustainable agriculture, and I look in the audience and don’t see people that look like me or people of color, then I have to step back — and a lot of people are starting to step back — and say, 'Wait a minute, there’s a group of people missing.' So now is the time to really stir up the interest that black people should have in urban agriculture and the impact that we have as consumers," she said in a 2010 interview with the Indypendent.

It seemed no matter who she spoke to — even if she was the one reaching out for help — Washington was able to inspire something in them.

"I wanna pout for a few minutes. I wanna bubble-snot cry. I wish someone had told Karyn Washington that she didn’t have to be strong. She didn’t have to hold the world’s glaring eyes on her shoulders. That asking for help was ok. No matter how you ask for it, it’s ok," writes blogger Ty Alexander in an emotional post that recalls email exchanges she had with Washington before, during, and after her mother’s death, an experience Alexander had in common. "People say all the time, You’re so strong! That’s so far from the truth. I AM WEAK!!! I think that’s what has gotten me through. I don’t judge myself for bursting into tears in the middle of a meeting. I don’t judge myself for eating the entire pint of butter pecan ice cream (although I just signed up for Crunch)! And I cannot judge myself for not being able to save Karyn."

Washington’s legacy will remain her inspiring work and her words of hope for others that will continue to live on online. Messages such as this one, which she shared last year while watching her mother deteriorate from cancer:

"I am empowered by other strong women and girls. Even by those who don’t necessarily know they are inspiring. Women who are doing what they can to uplift others around them and make a difference in their community motivate me to do the same. I think it is so important for women no matter what complexion, race, or religious background to be united in making sure our voices are heard — that we are being leaders and positive role models to the younger generation."

Sponsored Links

yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 9:01pm
super sad
nemesis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemesis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

how did she do it? 

I'm wondering too, but didn't see it on any of the articles I've read.

Maybe they don't want to disclose how.
nemesis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemesis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 10:59pm
Does anyone know if she was an only child? I'm just wondering if she had siblings. Maybe she wouldn't have felt so alone if she had siblings, you know, people who were also going through the same thing (the loss of their mother). Then again, you can be surrounded by 100 people and still alone, so I don't know how much difference that would've made.

This's a good video:

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/karyn-washington-suicide/5346641f02a760045000064b
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 11:06pm
man, i don't know of her but i wish she had sent a call for help. let folks know what she was going through. damn. fck the strong sh*t. desperate times call for desperate measures. 
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 7:46am
She reached out to another blogger right before and shortly after her mothers passing...

http://gorgeousingrey.com/founder-of-for-brown-girls-karyn-washington-commits-suicide/

Edited by GoodGirlGoneGr8 - Apr 15 2014 at 7:55am
MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 9:28am
May she Rest in Peace so sad

Depression is real. Prayer is not enough, it has to go hand in hand with medical treatment (psychiatry) and therapy (psychology).

ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 9:33am
those emails
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style