Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Creator of For Brown Girls Commits Suicide at Age
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Creator of For Brown Girls Commits Suicide at Age

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creator of For Brown Girls Commits Suicide at Age
    Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 5:57pm
I don't know who this is but are any of you familiar with her?

Creator of For Brown Girls Blog Reportedly Commits Suicide at Age 22

Karyn Washington’s work in the black blogosphere encouraged a generation of women to love their natural selves and live their best lives.

Posted: 

karyn_washington

Karyn Washington

FORBROWNGIRLS.COM

Karyn Washington, the 22-year-old founder of the For Brown Girls website, which sought to empower chocolate-complexioned black women, died on April 8, reportedly committing suicide, according to MadameNoire

Her passing is a devastating loss for legions of black women who went online to seek refuge in any one of Washington's many initiatives, including the #DarkSkinRedLip project, which knocked down beauty standards and encouraged black women to find and rock whatever shade of red lipstick that best suited them. 

Early reports suggest that Washington suffered from depression as she coped with the loss of her mother. 

Her supporters are expressing their condolences on Twitter and are beginning a conversation about the importance of addressing the issue of mental health in the black community. 

I have to share this sad news with my daughter who was so inspired by @KayFBG peace, prayer & blessings to the family of #KarynWashington

This shouldn't be just a shock & awe social media moment. Ask the "strongest" women in your life, are you OK? #KarynWashington

Let's use #KarynWashington passing as a chance to stop mental health stigma in the black community. Getting help doesn't make you weak.

RIP @KayFBG, Founder of @ForBrownGirls. May your life be a legacy and your works be our guide. #KarynWashington

Washington's friend LiaLia described what she will miss most about the young social entrepreneur:  

When I look at you I see a reflection of myself and most certainly that is why this hurts so badly. From now on I’ll forever remember your big beautiful smile, your charm, ambition, professionalism, entrepreneurship, confidence, humility, your drive, and your beautiful Brown Skin. That is what I’ll choose to remember...

Read more at Madame Noire.

Sponsored Links

herwoman View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote herwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 6:04pm
Lawd have mercy
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 6:06pm

aw man 
having your mother pass that young can be tough

cute girl...im gonna do some research on her...

Edited by ModelessDiva - Apr 11 2014 at 6:30pm
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by herwoman herwoman wrote:

Lawd have mercy

Did you know of her? I think I'm familiar with the #darkskinredlips campaign. 
mzsophisticated View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzsophisticated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 6:15pm
oh goodness so sad
herwoman View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote herwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Originally posted by herwoman herwoman wrote:

Lawd have mercy

Did you know of her? I think I'm familiar with the #darkskinredlips campaign. 
I actually went to her FB page to see if she had made a post about Domin because I was looking to share on my page. She seems so strong that I wonder if it's suicide not saying that strong women don't commit suicide but if you look her up you will get what I'm saying.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 6:18pm
Didn't know her but this is very sad. So many people in distress, nowadays. Y'all be kind to each other.
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Miss B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 6:26pm
Another blog writer that had personal contact with her had some insight about Karyn's journey that was a little eerie but also beautiful in that it gave a true inside look at grief and depression. Conversations like this are so essential because so many people suffer alone in order to look strong.

http://gorgeousingrey.com/founder-of-for-brown-girls-karyn-washington-commits-suicide/

Edited by Miss B - Apr 11 2014 at 6:28pm
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 7:00pm
DamnCry
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 7:04pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic