BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Care - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Co-Wash or Washing!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
marissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 10:31am
I alternate as well, if I don't my hair becomes dry and dull.
Sponsored Links

Tangala0810 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangala0810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 11:29am
Are we suposed to really wash our hair every week?
C.Shymika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C.Shymika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 11:48am

I am in the process of going natural and keeping it this time.  I have gone “natural” in the past many times because I intended to change what type of chemical relaxer I was applying to my hair.  This time I have no intention of chemically treating my hair again.  So in reference to the first part of your question I have come to love co-washing versus traditional washing for my natural hair simply because my hair is so thick, coarse and dry.  I have noticed that co-washing is better for my hair and scalp and more convenient because I can literally co-wash, spray on a leave-in moisturizing conditioner and I am done.  But don’t get me wrong I still will do a normal wash every now and then usually with a low lathering shampoo.  I just feel that shampoos clean better than a simple co-wash.  Now the co-wash product I use is Asiam coconut CoWash; I love it is one of the few products that works on my hair and my daughters’ hair as the three of us have three totally different hair textures/types.  I just happened to see this Asiam product in Salley’s and opted for it because I needed a clarifying shampoo and they did not have my tea tree clarifying shampoo that I typically use plus I had never tried a co-wash before.  I wanted something gentle for my hair during my transition because unlike a lot of ladies who decide to go natural I did not commit to the BC (I’m a chicken).  Asiam is designed for natural hair and has an array of products I have yet to try and thank goodness more and more options for natural hair are becoming available through different companies.  Of course different products work for different people so it may be a while to find something that works best for you.  But I would say if you are having a real problem with dryness to your hair and/scalp try co-washing for a while; if you have to have suds try a low sulfate shampoo.

To answer your second question co-washing (conditioner washing) is very simple you can wet the hair, apply the product throughout the hair and then rinse, repeat if necessary.  Now, because this is a conditioning wash, applying a conditioner may not be necessary.  For my hair I use a leave-in moisturizing conditioner.  As a matter of precaution I should advise that for best results of any product always use as directed.  Also note, you do not have to buy a product labeled “co-wash” I have heard you can use a regular conditioner to “wash” your hair.  I hope this helps I have included a couple of links of more information below.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/10/4-tips-for-effective-co-washing/ - http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/10/4-tips-for-effective-co-washing/

http://www.naturallycy.com/topics/view/co-washing - http://www.naturallycurly.com/topics/view/co-washing

littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 12:05pm
you're not "supposed" to; it's really up to you. normally i wash my hair about 2-3 times per week. But in the past i washed once every 1-2 weeks. I've known girls who washed once a month. It all just depends on your hair and scalp needs. 
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Tangala0810 Tangala0810 wrote:

Are we suposed to really wash our hair every week?
Yes, because your hair is just like your body and nails it likes to be clean. Hair grows best from a clean scalp. Cleansing your hair no less than once per week will make a huge difference in the health of your hair. You want to cleanse and DC weekly. If your schedule allows you can cleanse your hair twice a week. Clean hair does not have fungus or bacteria overgrowth. These two things retard your hair growth. Many white women have long hair partly because they keep it clean by washing frequently. One of the important steps to creating longer stronger hair is to change our mindset about washing black hair. White people wash and condition their hair a lot. All hair is keratin. If we only washed our bodies once every two weeks we would be in trouble. We brush our teeth daily, our hands several times a day and our bodies once/twice a day. Love your hair by keeping it clean, water is your best friend.
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2012 at 5:43pm
no, Veemack...*sigh*

like many posters have said, it's not mandatory to wash every week.  every one's hair needs are very different.  Here in NM, if you wash your hair EVERY WEEK, (especially w/shampoo), you'll wash it right off of your head.

i've cut it back to co washing every 2 weeks. i learned this by stop listening to every "professional" that came on this board - saying what they've learned in school.  and started listening to others who have the same "strands" as myself.  a member by the name of "Swift" suggested that i  cut back.

Why? My hair kept falling out or breaking off due to excessive weekly washings. and using white women as example isn't very sagacious.  Many white women have a totally different hair type than many of us who are on this hair board.  Their hair type can take daily washing due to their lack of curl pattern.

any way...

some one posted this young ladie's video from you tube.  Her hair is thick and gorgeous - and she only washes, once a month. i actually thought i would see gnats flying around her head, but no.. her hair is beautiful..

there's also a youtube guru with natural hair?  she washes every 3 months.. and it looks really long and healthy. i was definitely surprised..Confused

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE7_G7xxf7k

Edited by femmemuscleisback - Dec 23 2012 at 5:55pm
Tangala0810 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangala0810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 2:12am
Thanks for your input I see what you are saying
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 9:15pm
Smile

Edited by femmemuscleisback - Dec 24 2012 at 9:16pm
RedAdmiral101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedAdmiral101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 8:33am
I do not like co washing. It worked for me in the beginning of my hair journey,but not now. i make my own "shampoo" using black soap,honey,& oils,but i dont even like using that every week lol on days i feel like i dont need much cleansing,& an added moisture boost i simply rinse my hair & scalp with warm water for 5 or more minutes then i just deep condition for 20mins then rinse out with cold water. I dont intentionally put conditioner on my scalp in hopes that it will cleanse it.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12