Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cosmetology Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PRnena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PRnena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 9:38am
hmm. ive been thinking about this too. hope more ppl comment

Sponsored Links

Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 10:16am
Domin, go for it !  You are wonderful with hair!!  You already have the knowledge, and you are very versatile.  Follow your dreams ApproveThumbs Up.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 1:54pm
I go to the cosmetology schools to get my hair braided. Honestly, the best ones are self taught and are just going to school to learn the science behind it and to get their license. 

I can tell the ones that are REALLY into hair, when they are not doing their own client they will come an watch someone else....especially if they are of a different ethnicity. Other students will just chill and do whatever to get by. 

if you are good at what you do, everyone will come. I have a friend who's white hairdresser convinced her to go natural.... go figure! lol... 
Lhdc2011 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lhdc2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 4:19pm
Thanks Samone. I appreciate that :)

I don't think it would hurt to enroll prnena, especially if you've been thinking about it for a while and u can get fin. aid. Ithought about it when I was a teen and now I'm 26 starting a new career. I could have been a cosmetologist so long ago, but I guess everything happens for a reason.

claudie

That's a great point goodm3. I am the type to over think things and wonder if i am in the way and give people their space, but since it is a learning environment, I will definitely make it a point to observe and learn even during down time.

I have a few styling skills, but I don't know anything about adding hair
510QUEEN View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 510QUEEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 8:05pm
Oh ok I had a ball. I loved it because I love hair. It wasn't hard at all because I also love science. The cherry on top is your teachers and I met a very good friend and we're still friends til this day.
like some one said you will know who's truly there for the love of it. I thought my teacher was picking on me at first. She would make me work when all the others was chilling I could never work the front desk always wad on the floor. She gave me the most difficult clients and I didn't understand it then. She was preparing me for the real world. I'm glad she did.

For graduation me and 4 other classmates did a Bonner brothers cruise to Jamaica.

Edited by 510QUEEN - Jan 14 2013 at 8:07pm
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 9:27pm

I am afraid I may go and love it and want to quit my job lol
StylingArabella View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote StylingArabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 1:15am
I loved beauty school!!!!! I took full course, but concentrated on hair. To be honest most beauty schools tend to do a very small course on Black hair, and that is mainly relaxers and a short class on braids. Classroom focused on the biology of hair, chemical services, and cutting on mannequin heads.

The part that was slightly annoying was when you were done with the classroom and went on the "clinic floor" which means taking clients. The clients are perhaps the most demanding at beauty schools. They want perfections from students and complained a lot more than I've encountered in the real world. Now, there were requirements. I remember being required to do 80 sets of finger waves and 30 jerry curls...ummm who does that??? I would just do them on my mannequin head and get them marked off. There was also a guy at the front desk who had the biggest crush on me and would mark me off for 10 things at a time. Now, be mindful of what you show you're good at cause they will have you doing that all day. I was excellent at color so I was doing color all day...everyday which made it hard for me to get my other requirements done.

My advise is to PAY ATTENTION IN THE BUSINESS PORTIONS OF THE CLASSES! I rented a booth for 5 months and then the opportunity to lease my own shop fell into my lap and that began my life as a salon owner. While being an owner is exciting there is a TON that goes into it such as taxes, choosing the right stylists, MARKETING, client retention, staying within state code, waivers, paying bills...bills...bills, and of course keeping your environment professional as well as fun and inviting.

The salon game is hit or miss. It's all about location and word of mouth. There is drama if you allow it into your space. Also, remember when first starting out you will either have to work at a chain for minimum wage, rent a booth ($400-$850 a month depending on the salon and location), or be a traveling stylist. Either way I don't regret getting out of the corporate world in order to get into the world of beauty. You are always learning and there is always gratification that you've made someone feel beautiful.
tasty0619 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tasty0619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 1:22am
I went, graduated, am licensed, and no longer into doing hair lol

But my experience in cosmetology school-it's cool. If the majority of your clients are of color you probably won't learn much in regards to that-and that goes for women's hair and barbering. Do look up the amount of hours you need to become an assistant become one when eligible. My favorite section was color theory. My teacher was an AWESOME colorist and had green, blue, and pink hair (each at a different time). 
Lhdc2011 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lhdc2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 10:21am
510,  the Bonner Brother cruise to Jamaica sounds amazing!!! I love your waves as well.

Samone, I am afraid I'll hate it and be an old lady still looking for a career 

Styling Arabella, I was hoping that you'd chime in. Lol@ Jherri Curls. Have you ever done hair from your home? I certainly will pay attention to the business portion! I always said I wanted to be a part business owner because I have my strengths, but doing it all isn't one of them. Kudos to you! Did you study using pivot point?

Tasty, aww why not? How long did you style hair after school? My goal, is to really learn how to deal with hair of other races because it can be quite baffling to deal with all those fly aways. I've never touched Asian hair, but I imagine that would be difficult as well. I love quirky people! (Maybe I am biased because I am quirky too) The professor sounds cool. I hope I have cool professors.
Lhdc2011 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lhdc2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 10:26am
Also, How was the pedicure experience? I don't want to do any pedicures :'(
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair