Perfect Hair Collection

Cory Booker to live of food stamps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cory Booker to live of food stamps
    Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 5:46pm
equivalent for a week.

Cory Booker to live on food stamps starting Tuesday

by Katie Zezima, Associated Press |

Newark Mayor Cory Booker, left, greets 13-year-old Blonbzell Taylor outside of Clinton Hill Community Resource Center, where residents impacted by Superstorm Sandy received clothing donations in Newark, N.J. On Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012, Booker said he will live on food stamps for a week starting Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012, honoring a challenge he made to a Twitter follower earlier in the month. He said he will be limited to $1.40 for each meal. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Mayor Cory Booker said he will live on food stamps for a week starting Tuesday.

Booker told The Associated Press on Thursday that he will honor the challenge he made to a Twitter follower earlier this month and try living on the monetary equivalent of food stamps for at least a week.

December 4 to 11. Seven days,” Booker said after the ribbon cutting for new loft apartments in Newark. He said he will be limited to $1.40 for each meal.

The North Carolina woman Booker challenged plans to accept, but she is not sure she will do it next week.

The woman, who uses the Twitter handle (at)MWadeNC and goes by the name TwitWit, spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because she says she has received threats.

She said she is upset that Booker didn’t consult with her before picking the dates. She said Booker sent her a tweet this week saying his staff would be in touch, but she has heard nothing since.

“I don’t think it’s fair to be challenged and just find out from the Internet when I’m supposed to take part,” she said in a telephone interview. “I would have appreciated the consideration that I have a life as well.”

Nevertheless, she said she will participate in the challenge for at least a week, possibly two.

The average monthly food stamp benefit was $133.26 per person in New Jersey in fiscal year 2011, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. As mayor, Booker makes about 100 times that amount, $13,400 a month.

Politicians and community leaders around the country have taken on similar challenges in recent years to highlight the difficulty of relying solely on government aid for nutrition.

Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter and U.S. Rep. Bob Brady lived on food stamps for a week earlier this year, and the mayors of Las Vegas and Phoenix, Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper and the former governor of Oregon all did so within the past few years.

Most participated in the “Food Stamp Challenge,” a program from the nonprofit Food Research and Action Center that gives out tools to help organizations and individuals live on a food stamp budget, typically for a week. It even developed a how-to-guide for members of Congress, which includes testimonials from eight politicians.

Celebrity chef Mario Batali and his family also did the challenge earlier this year. An AmeriCorps member serving as the community service coordinator at the University of Bridgeport in Connecticut challenged her campus to try it for a week.

Booker, a prolific Twitter user who has 1.2 million followers, has said he wants the public to participate and on Thursday said he will soon announce a celebrity who will also take part.

The North Carolina woman said she thinks it would be “great” if high-profile people tried to live on the equivalent of food stamps.

“I think everybody should do this,” she said.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

Sponsored Links

FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 5:50pm
Quote 13-year-old Blonbzell Taylor

I'll be back shortly with a gif....

But yeah, good on him for being willing to live eat like the other half for a week. Thumbs Up

Edited by FarraFace - Dec 07 2012 at 6:01pm
Faithfully2002 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faithfully2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 5:55pm
Oh my…
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 6:00pm
FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 6:02pm
I'ma need that kneegro to introduce himself to the manager's specials/markdowns. LOL
Addicted19034 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Addicted19034 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 6:06pm
Cry me a river
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 6:09pm
Cee-Lo: Deal with it
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 6:10pm
why is he not married?
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 6:16pm
a month would be much more relevant

we should do a thread on this ... how would you budget your groceries to last a month

I have an idea on what I would buy but then again I don't know how much the monthly allowance is or if it varies from state to state or county to county

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

a month would be much more relevant

we should do a thread on this ... how would you budget your groceries to last a month

I have an idea on what I would buy but then again I don't know how much the monthly allowance is or if it varies from state to state or county to county

I agree he should do a month.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>