BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Communications majors or nursing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by stardaqueenb23 stardaqueenb23 wrote:

I also disagree that non stem degrees are a waste. I do believe there are factors that lead to success such as location, job experience, GPA, networking and university reputation. I have a lot of black friends with non stem degrees who are doing well for themselves and these factors are all in place.

Well then I guess we have different experiences because my black friends with those factors (Including one that went to a top 3 MBA program & Interned for a Fortune 100 company) are unemployed or underemployed.  I have yet to see someone in my personal life have something tangible to show for these degrees long-term. 

Edited by uppitynegroid - May 15 2014 at 7:28pm
Sponsored Links

sbrownie84 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbrownie84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 12:24am
Bumping...rickysrose, afrokock....anyone else
BitterSweet85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterSweet85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 10:36am
Great read
dijah.love View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dijah.love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 11:43am
You don't need to major in communications to work in communications. I'd do some things related to it on the side, for experience's sake, and get a degree in a technical skill to complement it.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 11:44am
my 2 cents 

If you still like to travel, then you'll want a high paying career where you can work from anywhere 
.. so I'd go the IT route. There are many roles that would make use of communications skills set so it's not necessarily far from what you originally wanted to do.

It's unconventional but here's my suggestion

For the least cost, to make the best use of your time and to maximize your earning potential:

1. Get a certification and start looking for an entry level IT job ... so by the time you finish school you'll have at least three years experience
2. Take as many Clep courses as you can, you can shave off up to 77 credits @ only $80 an exam and save a lot of time
3. Leverage your Clep courses and get an associates (just in case life happens and you can't complete the four year, you'll have something to show)
4. Leverage your associates into a 4yr from a good brick and mortar university (some have online IT degrees)

*apologize for typos I'm on my phone

sbrownie84 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbrownie84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 4:39pm
Rickysrose; I seriously thought of IT. Thank you
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:02pm
Nurses do way too much work for not enough credit, IMO.
but i guess that's most jobs. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style