Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Communications majors or nursing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

I know some stem grads who were let ass out following graduation. If you do it do it well and even then theres no guarantee.

There many factors to take into account but half heartedly going into any major rarely works out. You could minor in nursing if u wanted to do health services or public health.

I think the thing about com major is that its flexible. However many pick it as a cake walk major and settle for average grades.

they must have been lazy as hell or unwilling to relocate...i have never heard of a STEM major that did well in school and didn't get a job right out of undergrad or grad school. even the ones with most mediocre grades will hit up a NSBE conference and make it happen. 

Nope... moved got good grades but still got cut or no job most have jobs now but i know its not a cake walk even with the grades
What major?
Sponsored Links

_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 3:34pm
OP, What are your motivations for each? Im curious.
I can only tell you my opinion is pick a major you, at the very least, like. When I had a major I didn't like I was unmotivated and bored. Now that I like my major, I love it
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by TexturizedDiva TexturizedDiva wrote:

Too many people are resorting to Nursing.  TOO MANY.  And I'm not criticizing because I am one of them (I discovered I hate law - I have a high aptitude for medical/health sciences and it's too late to become a doctor).  More than half of the nursing majors I've seen are career-changers, former homemakers, or older women (40+ and  back in school).  It's really not the easy way to quick cash anymore because with all the majors and new schools opening, the job market is reaching a saturation point.

The job market is saturated for most nursing students because they generally aren't flexible and aren't going in to the more difficult/specialized areas of nursing. Traveling nurses are making oodles of money and there are lots of unfilled positions in rural or less city/suburban areas. When you're already established in an area with a mortgage and kids and stuff then you're much more limited in jobs.

And most students aren't willing to go on and get master's degrees or phd's. I was just reading some articles about there not being enough nurses to teach other nurses. But cna's, lvn's, etc. come a dime a dozen.

but you need some experience to become a traveling nurse...about 2 years. my niece just graduated with a nursing degree.  she was able to find a job quickly in Georgia as did many of her colleagues I believe.
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 3:41pm

I didn't know people still were unsure about this.  I figured all the thousands of young people who have been unable to secure reasonable employment over the last few years cemented the idea that certain majors had better job prospects than others.  I guess some people choose to believe they'll be the exception?

I'm of the mindset that as long as you get satisfaction from the job you do, you can get fulfillment working in any industry.  If you don't like clinical nursing, you can teach, or work in administration, or insurance, or law.  There are so many options out there.  The same can't be said for Communications.  Please pursue nursing.  You don't want to look back and realize you've invested a significant amount of time and money into your education and the only thing you have to show for it is a piece of paper.

Edited by uppitynegroid - May 14 2014 at 3:51pm
melly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 3:54pm
If you have the patience and like working with people nursing might be ideal for you. But on the other hand, I see so many threads all over the internet by nurses complaining about their job and that they want to change careers. It seems like most people go into nursing for the money, not because they like it.

BTW if you are looking for a stable career accountants and accounting clerks are in really high demand especially where I live. Every business always need someone to do payroll/ accounting and people will always have to do their taxes. Maybe u might want to look into this field.

Edited by melly - May 14 2014 at 4:02pm
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by TexturizedDiva TexturizedDiva wrote:

Too many people are resorting to Nursing.  TOO MANY.  And I'm not criticizing because I am one of them (I discovered I hate law - I have a high aptitude for medical/health sciences and it's too late to become a doctor).  More than half of the nursing majors I've seen are career-changers, former homemakers, or older women (40+ and  back in school).  It's really not the easy way to quick cash anymore because with all the majors and new schools opening, the job market is reaching a saturation point.

The job market is saturated for most nursing students because they generally aren't flexible and aren't going in to the more difficult/specialized areas of nursing. Traveling nurses are making oodles of money and there are lots of unfilled positions in rural or less city/suburban areas. When you're already established in an area with a mortgage and kids and stuff then you're much more limited in jobs.

And most students aren't willing to go on and get master's degrees or phd's. I was just reading some articles about there not being enough nurses to teach other nurses. But cna's, lvn's, etc. come a dime a dozen.

but you need some experience to become a traveling nurse...about 2 years. my niece just graduated with a nursing degree.  she was able to find a job quickly in Georgia as did many of her colleagues I believe.

That's what I thought, but its not the case.  Wherever you are needed, you will be hired.  Regions with nurse shortages will higher a nurse with only months worth of experience as a travel nurse & train you.  Its all supply & demand really.  Saturated urban areas don't do this much, but in areas where there are few nursing programs (few graduates live in that state), they will pay top dollar and take people with minimal experience. 

I personally know someone who got a traveling nurse job with 6 months of nursing experience.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 4:16pm
Depends. What's your passion? I was a communications major (journalism) but I didn't manage to fully break into the field . Ended up being a translator. You have to be a serious go getter to get noticed and get ahead and this field (Contacts and lucky breaks don't hurt either)

Nursing is definitely a safer option but if you're passionate about something, can't tell you what to do...
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 5:08pm
Omg my Lil sister came to me with this mess and I almost beat her through the phone.

We yes we decided on nursing with an accounting minor since she had lots of those type of classes anyway.

She knew better than to bring that up.
Even my older sister who majored in Art said she was crazy. Even though my older sister works as a curator.
She had to hustle her ass off to get there.

It's not like that mass comm passion is there for her anyway.
She was just being a dummy

We are thinking about dentistry though. We have until Aug to decide for sure

Edited by jonesable - May 14 2014 at 5:09pm
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Omg my Lil sister came to me with this mess and I almost beat her through the phone.

We yes we decided on nursing with an accounting minor since she had lots of those type of classes anyway.

She knew better than to bring that up.
Even my older sister who majored in Art said she was crazy. Even though my older sister works as a curator.
She had to hustle her ass off to get there.

It's not like that mass comm passion is there for her anyway.
She was just being a dummy

We are thinking about dentistry though. We have until Aug to decide for sure

we need more big sisters like you in the world.... 

TexturizedDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TexturizedDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 5:55pm
https://www.adors.gatech.edu/cfcampus/adors/commencement/salary_report_result.cfm?college=TOTAL&level=1&surveyid=77&Submit=Submit
Student Salary Survey - by major, job offer, and salary
My vote is for Computer or Electrical Engineering Thumbs Up

Edited by TexturizedDiva - May 14 2014 at 5:57pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>