Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Communications majors or nursing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by TexturizedDiva TexturizedDiva wrote:

Too many people are resorting to Nursing.  TOO MANY.  And I'm not criticizing because I am one of them (I discovered I hate law - I have a high aptitude for medical/health sciences and it's too late to become a doctor).  More than half of the nursing majors I've seen are career-changers, former homemakers, or older women (40+ and  back in school).  It's really not the easy way to quick cash anymore because with all the majors and new schools opening, the job market is reaching a saturation point.

The job market is saturated for most nursing students because they generally aren't flexible and aren't going in to the more difficult/specialized areas of nursing. Traveling nurses are making oodles of money and there are lots of unfilled positions in rural or less city/suburban areas. When you're already established in an area with a mortgage and kids and stuff then you're much more limited in jobs.

And most students aren't willing to go on and get master's degrees or phd's. I was just reading some articles about there not being enough nurses to teach other nurses. But cna's, lvn's, etc. come a dime a dozen.
Sponsored Links

goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 2:53pm
A communication degree will likely have you working at a call center with a headset in your ear after graduation if you don't have a plan. 

whatever you do have a plan.  anybody in college right now without a plan for graduate school/internship/jobs, etc...is losing, especially when you go kids out here graduating high school AND college at the same damn time.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by TexturizedDiva TexturizedDiva wrote:

Too many people are resorting to Nursing.  TOO MANY.  And I'm not criticizing because I am one of them (I discovered I hate law - I have a high aptitude for medical/health sciences and it's too late to become a doctor).  More than half of the nursing majors I've seen are career-changers, former homemakers, or older women (40+ and  back in school).  It's really not the easy way to quick cash anymore because with all the majors and new schools opening, the job market is reaching a saturation point.

The job market is saturated for most nursing students because they generally aren't flexible and aren't going in to the more difficult/specialized areas of nursing. Traveling nurses are making oodles of money and there are lots of unfilled positions in rural or less city/suburban areas. When you're already established in an area with a mortgage and kids and stuff then you're much more limited in jobs.

And most students aren't willing to go on and get master's degrees or phd's. I was just reading some articles about there not being enough nurses to teach other nurses. But cna's, lvn's, etc. come a dime a dozen.

wait. 

when people say "majoring in nursing"....im thinking ONLY RNs

....i thought CNA was a certificate program.
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 2:56pm
'Communication' Major .. bas no meaning unless you plan to be a Newscaster and thst is very iffy. That major does not read 'wlll get me a well paying job'.

Nursing ... you will be kind of under a Doctor's thumb and you will get stuck doing a lot of S** work and never get any respect for it.

I had 2 close friends that majored in Nursing and the second after they told me this I thought ... 'oh you are gonna be at the bottom of the heap'. But they were so proud and happy I didn't have the heart to tell them this. Years later they were both sooo miserable and I thought to myself 'How could you not have known that was going to happen if you were a Nurse?' Yes, they were always 'BELOW' the Doctors.

They announced their majors in 1975!! That's how long ago I knew they were going to make a mistake.

IMO opinion .. if you are going to be in the Medical field - be a Doctor, a Dentist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Dental Hygienist.. anything BUT a Nurse. (Not trying make any Nurses feel bad .,. saying.)

When I was your age I didn't know what I wanted to do either. It took me a while but YES I would suggest the Technology Sector - Computer Engineering, IT Analysts etc...

Good Luck ... it's hard to choose but chooss something that is IN DEMAND so that you can ALWAYS get a job.

Edited by Printer_Ink - May 14 2014 at 2:59pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 2:59pm
NURSING !!!

I may be impartial
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

I know some stem grads who were let ass out following graduation. If you do it do it well and even then theres no guarantee.

There many factors to take into account but half heartedly going into any major rarely works out. You could minor in nursing if u wanted to do health services or public health.

I think the thing about com major is that its flexible. However many pick it as a cake walk major and settle for average grades.

they must have been lazy as hell or unwilling to relocate...i have never heard of a STEM major that did well in school and didn't get a job right out of undergrad or grad school. even the ones with most mediocre grades will hit up a NSBE conference and make it happen. 
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 3:06pm
OP I think you should do some job/career research. There are so many out there besides the basic teacher, lawyer, doctor, nurse paths.

Logistics, statistics, actuarial, accounting (not just basic), pharmD, mortuary/funeral, public administration (especially combined with finance is great for city manager type jobs). Look in fields you wouldn't have thought of before and see who is doing what (manufacturing, oil industry, product design, green/environmental, etc).

No matter what you need to be looking at what requires skills that not everybody has...that's why there's always a need for HVAC techs and plumbers and pharmacists and things like that.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Go with your passion boo
This.

Go see the career services center on campus and research/investigate how to be successful in a field you feel passionate about.
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

I know some stem grads who were let ass out following graduation. If you do it do it well and even then theres no guarantee.

There many factors to take into account but half heartedly going into any major rarely works out. You could minor in nursing if u wanted to do health services or public health.

I think the thing about com major is that its flexible. However many pick it as a cake walk major and settle for average grades.

they must have been lazy as hell or unwilling to relocate...i have never heard of a STEM major that did well in school and didn't get a job right out of undergrad or grad school. even the ones with most mediocre grades will hit up a NSBE conference and make it happen. 

Nope... moved got good grades but still got cut or no job most have jobs now but i know its not a cake walk even with the grades
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 3:32pm

Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Nope... moved got good grades but still got cut or no job most have jobs now but i know its not a cake walk even with the grades
What major?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>