Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Columbia, SC Votes to Ban the Homeless

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Columbia, SC Votes to Ban the Homeless
    Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 9:55pm

Columbia, South Carolina, bans homeless people from its downtown

Homeless people in Columbia's downtown will be given three options: go to jail, leave town or head to a shelter on the outskirts of the city.

Columbia homeless banEnlarge
A homeless man named Bob waits for donations from passing motorists on October 11, 2012 in Camden, New Jersey. South Carolina's capital, Columbia, recently made a plan to ban homeless people from its downtown area because of fears they will prevent the city from becoming an economic hotspot. (Spencer Platt/AFP/Getty Images)
Advertisement

South Carolina's capital, Columbia, has made a plan to ban homeless people from its downtown area because of fears they will prevent the city from becoming an economic hotspot.

Those living on the streets of downtown Columbia will be given three options: go to jail, leave town or head to a shelter on the outskirts of the city.

The homeless currently gather daily near a downtown parking lot as they wait for shelters to open. Business owners in the city have complained that they have been swearing at people as they pass by and that they make the area feel unsafe.

"People are afraid to get out of their cars when they see a homeless person," Richard Balser, a local business owner, told The New York Times. "They haven't been a problem. They just scare people."

More from GlobalPost: Four homeless men freed from Houston 'dungeon'

If any of the 1,500 homeless people living in Columbia decide to take the option of heading to the shelter on the outskirts of town, they'll have to hope they are lucky enough to get one of the only 250 beds available. Those who do get a bed will only be able to leave the shelter by way of a pre-arranged shuttle bus, which will not go in to Columbia.

The National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty has called the ban an "extreme, highly disturbing example" of targeting the homeless. The new policy also includes a plan to put more police on the streets of the 36-block area, which includes the city's business district and the main access road to the shelter. Arrests could be made under public nuisance laws for things like loitering and trespassing if homeless people stay in or return to Columbia's centre.

Residents will also be able to call a newly implemented hotline to report any homeless people they see downtown.

Sponsored Links

blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 9:58pm
Article from a tin foil hat site...

South Carolina FEMA Camp Opens For Business (Videos)

Friday, August 23, 2013 18:11

By Susan Duclos

Columbia, South Carolina has unanimously passed a measure that basically criminalizes homelessness in order to address their massive homeless problem. The homeless will be given a choice to relocate or be arrested.

If they agree to relocate they will be taken to a shelter, but a shelter allows people to come and go at will, not so for this shelter..

This “shelter” will be a remote 240-person bed emergency shelter but it is being reported that those relocated to this location will not be allowed to leave the premises without permission and there will be an armed police officer guarding the road leading to the building.

The shelter will also be used as a drop-off for people recently released from prison.

While homelessness does need to be addressed,  this sounds suspiciously more like the FEMA camps we have seen talked about of late and less like a place meant to help people get back on their feet.

The city claims this is to be a temporary measure.

This follows the recent ban on feeding the homeless in Myrtle Beach.

The majority of homeless people do not choose to be homeless and treating them like criminals is tantamount to kicking someone while they are down.

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 10:11pm
I've never been to a big city with no homeless people on the streets. .. does such a thing exist? There are some places where they are more conspicuous, but that's the city's fault. .

Edited by melikey - Aug 26 2013 at 10:12pm
.hott.pink. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .hott.pink. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 10:16pm
If I had those 3 choices I'd go to jail. Guaranteed food, a bed, water, heat, lights, etc.

The downside is that I wouldn't be able to search for work. 

Edited by .hott.pink. - Aug 26 2013 at 10:16pm
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 10:17pm
I saw so many familes during my visit to SC . Many of the homeless are our people and veterans . I have never felt threaten by any homelss Person . I use to pass out meals every sunday for years . The goverment should stop this evil law . Many people never found a job or housing after bush ruin the economy . People are coming to america from the slums of other countries and given a loan for a business ,yet americans are suffering . Makes me so angry .
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 10:22pm
Here in Raleigh they are cuttin' up too. http://www.wral.com/nonprofit-says-it-was-threatened-with-arrest-for-feeding-raleigh-homeless/12815894/

Smh @ economic hotspot. How about putting more effort into helping the homeless instead of hiding them?

OT: And lets talk about fixing traffic in downtown Columbia.Geek
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 10:28pm
So...basically...they're rounding up homeless ppl to send them to for profit prisons?
I mean, that's basically what's happening. 

This country will never have nice things. It was built on stolen land and stolen people, and continues to step on the people instead of doing, iono, the most humane thing. Then they turn around and go to church and read their bibles to convince themselves that they're doing God's work. 
grandhustle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grandhustle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 5:31pm
I never understand the choices this city makes. My job supports several organizations that help put ppl back to work and get them on their feet...wonder how this will affect them. And I wonder how this will affect the Homeless for Homeless initiative here...
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:08pm
"go to jail, leave town or head to a shelter on the outskirts of the city."

So those are their only options, right? 

O....k Good luck with that.

Weren't there some cities or states in this country that actually made it illegal to even feed the homeless? There were stories about people working in the fast-food industry losing their jobs because they were giving away days old food to the homeless that they were going to throw away anyway.

Just doesn't make ANY sense.

Edited by Az~Maverick - Aug 27 2013 at 6:14pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair