Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Coke to Remove Flame-Retardant Chemical From Drink
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Coke to Remove Flame-Retardant Chemical From Drink

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coke to Remove Flame-Retardant Chemical From Drink
    Posted: May 08 2014 at 10:42am
http://www.newsweek.com/coke-remove-flame-retardant-chemical-all-its-drinks-249616

Coke to Remove Flame-Retardant Chemical From All Its Drinks

|  5/5/14 at 1:14 PM
5.5_Powerade
Brominated vegetable oil is not approved for use in food the European Union or Japan but has showed up in drinks in the U.S. 

Coca-Cola is in the process of removing brominated vegetable oil from its entire line of beverages, including Powerade, Fanta Orange and Fresca, a representative for the company confirmed to Newsweek on Monday. The move comes one year after PepsiCo announced it would remove the controversial chemical, also patented as a flame retardant, from Gatorade.

The move follows an online Change.org petition from Mississippi teenager Sarah Kavanagh urging soda companies to remove the Brominated vegetable oil (BVO). Her Powerade petition gathered 59,000 online signatures, while her Gatorade petition had more than 200,000, according to the AP. Despite removing the chemical, Coca-Cola says it stands by the safety of its drinks, including those that contain BVO.

“All of our beverages, including those with BVO, are safe and always have been—and comply with all regulations in the countries where they are sold,” Coca-Cola said in a statement.

BVO is not approved for use in food the European Union or Japan. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved its use in food products on aninterim basis, “pending additional study.” Mountain Dew, also made by PepsiCo, still contains BVO, along with Squirt and Sunkist Peach Soda, from the Dr Pepper Snapple Group, according to The New York Times.

The Associated Press reports bottles of Powerade in fruit punch and strawberry lemonade flavors sold in Detroit; Omaha, Nebraska; New York, and Washington, D.C. no longer have BVO on their ingredients list, but some bottles elsewhere still list it, suggesting Coca-Cola may have already begun phasing it out.

BVO is used as an emulsifier in fruit-flavored sports drinks and sodas to evenly distribute flavoring oils throughout the liquid. Without BVO, “your favorite lemony-limy soda would look like the Gulf of Alaska in the wake of the Exxon-Valdez,” as the San Diego Reader put it in 1999.

“In the coming months, the Coca-Cola Company will be transitioning from the use of brominated vegetable oil (BVO) to sucrose acetate isobutyrate(SAIB) and/or glycerol ester of rosin (singly or in combination),” Coca-Cola said in a statement. “Glycerol ester of rosin is commonly found in chewing gum and beverages, and SAIB has been used in beverages for over 14 years.”

Coca-Cola expects the transition to be complete by the end of the year, and says Powerade fruit punch and Powerade strawberry lemonade flavors have already eliminated BVO. However, the AP reported that some bottles of Powerade still list the chemical.

The safety of BVO has been a matter of debate in the scientific community for decades. BVO contains bromine, the same element found in brominated flame retardants used on upholstered furniture and some children’s bedding and clothes. Research found brominated flame retardants can build up in the body and breast milk, and human and animal studies have linked them to fertility problems, precocious puberty, neurological impairment, and changes in thyroid hormones.

A history of BVO by Scientific American notes that in 1970, a U.K. studyfound that rats fed brominated maize oil gathered stockpiles of bromine in their fat tissue, and the bromine remained there even after the rats returned to a bromine-free diet.

Shortly after, another study confirmed that bromine was building up in humans. Bromine serum levels found in people in the U.K.—where BVO was in use—were higher than levels in their counterparts in the Netherlands and Germany, where BVO was not used. The highest levels of bromine were found in fat tissues of children.

In 1997, a man who had consumed two to four liters of soda containing BVO daily was admitted to the University of California, Davis emergency room for memory loss, tremors, fatigue, loss of muscle coordination, headache, and ptosis in his right eyelid. He was diagnosed with severe bromine intoxicationand put on hemodialysis, and eventually recovered.

Among the approximately 10,000 chemical additives approved for use in foods in the U.S., about 3,000 have never been reviewed for safety by the FDA, according to Pew.

The FDA removed brominated vegetable oil from its list of food additives generally recognized as safe in 1970, but BVO reappeared on the list a few years later after industry group studies “demonstrated a level of safety,” according to Scientific American. In 1977, BVO was placed on a list of chemicals approved on an “interim basis,” pending further safety studies, where it has been since.

“Any change in the interim status of BVO would require an expenditure of FDA’s limited resources, which is not a public health protection priority for the agency at this time,” a spokeswoman for the FDA told the Times.

Sponsored Links

QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 11:52pm
Not surprised..coke removes rust and gets my toilet bowl clean.

Goes to Toss Gatorade.
missdeeluxe View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote missdeeluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 12:17am
Dead

I think I'm good with water.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 12:26am
FDA is a joke
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 12:29am
If one is drinking 2 to 4 liters coke daily, one deserves the health issues that come withh it.
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 8:11am
Does the author of this article know what a past participle is?? Turned me off from even wanting to read it.
I did read it, however, and I am not surprised.

Soda is a treat for me. I was at the movies in March, where I tried that peach soda for the first time. It tastes really good but I know that I can't make it a habit.

Sigh, so many of these major diseases are linked to our environment now.

HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 9:18am
Why is it there in the first place?
HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 9:20am
I don't fool with bromated anything.

My flour is unbleached and unbromated too.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 11:21am
This is the craziest $hit I heard all week....! are you telling me all this time we have been drinking Poision
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 11:32am
^^not sure if being sarcastic but yesLOL Stern Smile

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply