BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

coconut oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

I have learned a lot from black hair science but let's be honest, a lot of black hair science is bullshyt.

If by "black hair science" you mean the anecdotal advice and "facts" that are bandied about on hair forums and other places, then yes, a lot of it is straight bs.

That's why I love the natural haven because she's a scientist and she backs up her statements with evidence from peer reviewed scientific journals. I would say go through that whole site if you really want to learn about hair from a scientific perspective.

That site helped me debunk a lot of myths...and now I realize most people have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to hair, even their own.
Sponsored Links

SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I have learned a lot from black hair science but let's be honest, a lot of black hair science is bullshyt.

If by "black hair science" you mean the anecdotal advice and "facts" that are bandied about on hair forums and other places, then yes, a lot of it is straight bs.

That's why I love the natural haven because she's a scientist and she backs up her statements with evidence from peer reviewed scientific journals. I would say go through that whole site if you really want to learn about hair from a scientific perspective.

That site helped me debunk a lot of myths...and now I realize most people have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to hair, even their own.

Bookmarked. Thanks, maysay. I also like tightlycurly.com because she incorporates a lot of textbook definitions and cites her sources as well.

What do you think about this whole "scab hair" idea? I also think that's some straight crap from people who don't like what their real texture turned out to be. They always point to the softer, curlier areas and say that's their "real texture" but the kinkier areas they call scab hair.  All my newgrowth from the past 11 months seems to be the same texture from root to end even if it varies in different areas of my head (but my head is pretty evenly textured).

Edited by SweetNovember* - Jan 07 2013 at 5:25pm
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 5:23pm

Another thing I don't understand about moisturizing and sealing: It is said that you have to moisturize your hair before sealing in the moisture. Oil alone cannot moisturize but it can seal in moisture, correct? But you have to moisturize first because otherwise the oil will seal out the moisture and make your hair dry, correct? If that's the case, then why do we have to moisturize every day? What happened to the moisture I put in yesterday that was supposedly sealed in? If my hair still has the oil on it, then how will the moisture get to it today? Wouldn't that just be putting moisture on top of oil? Moisture that will not penetrate the cuticle but will only evaporate into the air?

The natural haven has much better explanations for all of this than I'm about to give but in a nutshell...

-there are some ingredients that stay on the hair longer than others...this contributes to how long your hair feels moisturized or sealed
-oils seal because they help keep the water and other moisturizing ingredients from evaporating or rubbing off as quickly
-some things seal better than others because they stick longer...for example, mineral oil and vaseline are thick and sticky...
-remember, that even oil/grease/vaseline/whatever is going to rub off (on your hands, your clothes, scarf, pillowcase, etc) and need to be replaced...that can be a good and bad thing...for some that might mean they end up having to moisturize and seal every single day because the moisture/sealer has rubbed off/evaporated already because it's light...it comes down to whether you like to use light or heavy products...but remember, sealed doesn't mean that nothing at all can penetrate and new moisture is completely locked out (for example, you can seal your hair and then walk outside somewhere that has 80% humidity and your hair turns into a fro...clearly moisture was able to get through the sealant).
-IMO, if you're using good techniques and products, there's no need to moisturize/seal everyday. But that's just my preference...I do everything I can to keep my hair from drying out and only use products where the moisture lasts (hopefully to my next wash).
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 5:26pm
Thanks so much maysay! I will be doing some reading from that site tonight.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 5:29pm
Hair stuff I don't believe in...
-scab hair
-protein sensitivity
-protein treatments or tea rinses or pretty much anything topical ora hair product stopping shedding (very few exceptions to this)
-anything considered a protein treatment (whether "light" "medium" or "hard") that doesn't have hydrolyzed protein in it
-itching or pain on the scalp indicating growth
-growth aids

...and I'm sure there's more
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Hair stuff I don't believe in...
-scab hair
-protein sensitivity
-protein treatments or tea rinses or pretty much anything topical ora hair product stopping shedding (very few exceptions to this)
-anything considered a protein treatment (whether "light" "medium" or "hard") that doesn't have hydrolyzed protein in it
-itching or pain on the scalp indicating growth
-growth aids

...and I'm sure there's more

Yeah these definitely not. I don't know too much about protein but have heard stories about too much protein changing someone's texture, making their hair hard, which I why I haven't messed with the Aphogee. My hair has been softer and has been breaking a lot less since incorporating more moisture.
foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 5:58pm

I kept fastforwarding to see her hair become cute and....Sleepy

Edited by foxyroy19 - Jan 07 2013 at 5:58pm
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 5:59pm
Lol what? LOLLOLLOL
foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 6:13pm

How does she tame hair that wants to....

tasty0619 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tasty0619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 6:23pm

What do you think about this whole "scab hair" idea? I also think that's some straight crap from people who don't like what their real texture turned out to be. They always point to the softer, curlier areas and say that's their "real texture" but the kinkier areas they call scab hair.  All my newgrowth from the past 11 months seems to be the same texture from root to end even if it varies in different areas of my head (but my head is pretty evenly textured).

I think scab hair is something people on hair boards made up. Never, ever read that in my Milady Cosmetology book...plus, how is it possible for chemicals to affect hair under your scalp without burning said scalp?

I also agree with a lot of what maysay said.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic