Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
lifeintrees View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coconut Oil made me break out
    Posted: May 03 2010 at 10:10pm

I've been using coconut oil for a pre-poo deep conditioner and as a body moisturizer.

I avoid using it on my face cause it makes me break out something fierce. Unhappy

However while in the process of applying it to my hair some of it got on my forehead and now I'm all broken out.

I tried cleaning it off as soon as it got on there but the damage has been done. Cry

Does anyone else have this problem with coconut oil?

Sponsored Links

TiaBuena View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 12:42am

Hi Life!  Can you please identify the brand of the coconut oil?  And is it organic extra virgin oil?  If not, that may be the problem.  Also, how much of it at one time have you applied to your face in the past?  Generally, you would apply a very tiny amount to your face while it's damp.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 9:20am
It's Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil. 

I try not to put too much on my face so I don't get that greasy look.  I tried applying it several times and each time my face broke out with big red bumps. Cry

I can use olive oil without any problems and figured Coconut oil was the next best thing.

I may just stick to using it on my hair and the rest of my body. Ermm
TiaBuena View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 10:15am

You're brand of oil is on the money, that's the one I use too.  But, there is certainly something the skin on your face does not like.  Eat it and continue to use on rest of your body and your hair since that works for you.  Be scrupulous about keeping it away from the face.  Put on a regular headband or one of those microfiber adjustable spa headbands before you do your hair regimento protect the skin on your face from stray coconut oil.

To take care of the skin irritation breakouts, use some A+D zinc oxide cream (it's in the baby products section next to diaper rash products) on the trouble spots daily until your skin clears up.  There are two formulas, original and this formula so make sure it says "zinc oxide cream" on the front of the box (blue and white).
BeautifulSky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 8:05am

Hi Lifeintrees, the same exact thing happens to me when I use my extra virgin coconut oil! It doesn't even matter if I only put it on my ends, I still get pimples within a week. I think its because its such a fatty oil! If you're acne/pimple prone, fatty oils like coconut and olive oil is not to go near your face. The only oil I use now is Pure Dessert Essence Jojoba Oil :) I love this stuff! It has never broken me out and it's nice and light since it's really a wax but looks and acts as a light oil.

BeautifulSky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 8:15am
Here's more info on Joboba Oil Below.

The Jojoba plant, pronounced ho-ho-bah, grows in the deserts of the Southwestern U.S. and Mexico. The plant produces a bean pod that when heated, scretes an oil. Actually, the oil is really a wax that becomes liquid at room temperature. The oil has a similar chemical make-up to the sebum oil that our skin produces naturally. Jojoba oil is one of the most easily absorbed oils found. It is biodegradabel and non-toxic.
Because of the amazing properties of Jojoba, it is commonly used in skin care and hair products. In fact, Native Americans have used Jojoba oil for centuries for everything from a treatment for cuts, to sunburn relief.
The benefits of jojoba on the skin are numerous. It penetrates the skin rapidly and helps reduce water loss. It can clean clogged pores and restore the skin"s natural pH balance. It can help reduce wrinkles and minimize stretch marks. Jojoba is also very helpful in treating eczema, acne and many other skin problems. It can help fight skin surface roughness, flakiness and fine lines.
Most people would assume that an oil would make their acne worse, but this is not the case with jojoba oil. Because of jojoba's unique molecular structure, it mixes nicely with the skin's natural oils. Jojoba's anti-bacterial properties help inhibit the growth of acne causing bacteria.
Jojoba is also very beneficial to hair. It is a natural moisturizer and conditioner because it's structure is so similar to the natural oil produced by the sebaceous glands in the scalp. Jojoba oil is able to penetrate the hair shaft to loosen and dissolve sebum build-up.
Jojoba oil continues to show what a great discovery it has been. It is helping people all over the world improve the looks of their skin and hair. Be it in skin care products or in hair care products, jojoba is an essential part of the personal care industry.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 6:20pm
@TiaBuena Thanks for the tip with the head wrap. I'm going to go out and pick one up before I do my next DC.

@BeautifulSky hmmm I need to try Joboba oil.  Like to use it as my new night time moisturizer.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2010 at 4:12am
Yeah I break out from coconut oil myself.  I think my skin doesn't like coconut oil.
MissMesha View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2010 at 6:42pm
I break out from any type of oil, except tea tree oil. Now that I think about it, since I started my hair journey, and using several different oils in my hair, my skin has been terrible! I know the coconut oil plays a part in it...
ejfel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2010 at 2:15am

I was using too much of the coconut oil and it made my hair hard/scrunchy. I've stopped  using it directly as I was, now I mix it with shea butter, olive oil, and a tiny bit of tea trea oil, and uses it on my scapl and hair. Instead of a pre-poo, use it with other products on the hair and scalp after you wash it, that way, no residue on your face when you rinse it off. (OR have a friend or boyfriend wash your hair for you, sit in a chair like you do in the salon, and rinse it from front to back, with a shower head, not convenient at all, but hey)

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic