Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Clean scalp vs. moisturized scalp for growth.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
brown123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brown123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clean scalp vs. moisturized scalp for growth.
    Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 8:00am
I know this have probably been ask before. But I was wondering do u actually get better hair growth if you just keep your scalp CLEAN. instead of using all these different oils and lotions and moisturizers on our hair and scalp. One hairstylist told me to not use anything on my scalp because it just clogging the pores which hinders it from growing. Which kind of makes sense to me. He told me to moisturizer your hair just not your scalp. What you think? Do u notice better growth when u just keep your hair shampooed and DC vs. Shampoo and DC plus putting all the stuff on your scalp for hair growth. Just a thought...
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 8:40am
probably the most important thing ive learned is that every ones body and hair is different.  what works for one person may not work for the next.   it also depends on the persons scalp and if they have scalp issues.  i dont have issues with my scalp and  i like a clean scalp and it gets enough products from what i put in my hair.  ive also never had a product directly applied to my scalp actually aid in growth but there are others who swear by them.
krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 2:23pm
Also, having a clean scalp and a moisturized scalp are not necessarily opposites.  Applying a light oil to my scalp after washing it doesn't make it dirty.  I believe the trick is to find a balance.
Nigerian_princess View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigerian_princess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 5:17pm
I say moisturized. For me, clean/bare scalp=dry and crispy and not a good place for growth. I know when I baggy, my hair sprouts like weeds.
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 5:49pm
i agree that clean and moist are not mutually exclusive.  My scalp only needs to be cleansed once a week because I do not produce any noticeable sebum or natural scalp oils at all. That is one reason my hair may do well when I supplement oils. Now if your scalp produces an excess of sebum mixed with perspiration then you would obviously use a different strategy.
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 6:10pm
i'm not sure. .i haven't put anything on my scalp in like...3 years or so and while i think my hair grows at the average rate of 6 inches annually i can't say it's a marked difference from the rate at which it grew back when my parents and i kept it greased down growing up. i'd be interested in seeing what others have to say, though. 
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 6:13pm
also lemme add that my scalp produces natural oils. after about a week my roots become oily. it doesn't spread down to the rest of my hair but when i used to flat iron my hair i'd have to rewash my hair on a weekly basis because my natural oils would saturate and weigh down my roots, making my hair hang heavy (but not in a good way. i always preferred lightweight, bouncy hair rather than oily), and this was when i used nothing on my scalp at all for moisture. 
for me, cleansing is far more important. 
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2013 at 7:14am
we are not talking about old school Greasing the scalp. It is now known that petroleum  in grease does more to harm than help 
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2013 at 5:18pm
It depends on the person's head and skin. For my Cleo, I don't really put anything directly on my scalp as I moisturize my hair and it soaks up everything so my scalp gets it too. No issues. Now, when I have occasional dry spots or itchies, I will apply an oil or herb laden grease directly on my scalp. I have no issues with clogged pores bc it a light(consistency- wise) oil/ grease.

I can recall having the same amount of growth as a child with a greased scalp and as an adult with no direct products to my scalp. I will say that as a child my hair itched a lot more with a greased scalp.
brown123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brown123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2013 at 5:44pm
Thats the reason i was wanting to lay off the oils some of them seem to make me itch. I'm currently using Wild Growth Oil for growth I feel kind of itcy when I use it. Now, that I think about it seems to me i geta bout the same grow when i use something on my scalp vs. not using anything at all. If it is a difference it's very little. Wow, most of these products for hair growth MIGHT be pretty much useless because your hair is going to grow regardless.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic