BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

"Classic Ladies and Men of Colour" Tumblr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Classic Ladies and Men of Colour" Tumblr
    Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 2:44pm
I just wanted to share these with you, consider this my xmas present to you BHM.LOL

I'm a film/media buff and love seeing images/films featuring POC within the "Old Hollywood" and silent film eras. They just oozed sexy vintage glamour and sophistication, it's painful to know that were facing prejudice from within the industry and from society at large too.

Hope you enjoy these sites as much as I do!Smile

Edited by CherryBlossom - Dec 25 2012 at 2:45pm
Sponsored Links

CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 2:58pm

Actress, Fredi Washington- she played the girl who passes as white in the original Imitation of Life (a film I still want to see, in the remake they used a white girl to play the same role).

The following is why I admire Washington though, especially given the climate in which she was working as an actress and the racial politics at the time:

Throughout her life, Washington was often asked if she ever wanted to "pass" for white. Washington, a proud black woman, answered conclusively, "no."

"You see I'm a mighty proud gal and I can't for the life of me, find any valid reason why anyone should lie about their origin or anything else for that matter. Frankly, I do not ascribe to the stupid theory of white supremacy and to try to hide the fact that I am a Negro for economic or any other reasons, if I do I would be agreeing to be a Negro makes me inferior and that I have swallowed whole hog all of the propaganda dished out by our fascist-minded white citizens.

I am an American citizen and by God, we all have inalienable rights and wherever those rights are tampered with, there is nothing left to do but fight...and I fight. How many people do you think there are in this country who do not have mixed blood, there's very few if any, what makes us who we are, are our culture and experience. No matter how white I look, on the inside I feel black. There are many whites who are mixed blood, but still go by white, why such a big deal if I go as Negro, because people can't believe that I am proud to be a Negro and not white. To prove I don't buy white superiority I chose to be a Negro." - EARL CONRAD, "Pass Or Not To Pass?", The Chicago Defender (1921-1967). Chicago, Ill.: Jun 16, 1945

ClapClapClap
ScorpioLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ScorpioLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 3:14pm
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 3:18pm
This is great
keelolo1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote keelolo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 3:47pm
Love it.
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 4:08pm
5 stars.... my xmas gift to you
sbrooke View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sbrooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 4:32pm
Awesome!
I have a mixed friend that struggled with this but shes Latina and Black... I'd love to show her this.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 4:43pm

http://25.media.tumblr.com/32b80b5a6ad0ac2bacf58a1529761e6b/tumblr_mey9ynud5t1r2twk4o1_1280.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/36bee20493e641ee7e459987fa3f112c/tumblr_mey9ynud5t1r2twk4o2_1280.jpg

“The children of America are not rebelling for no reason. They are not hippies for no reason at all. We don’t have what we have on Sunset Blvd. for no reason. They are rebelling against something. There are so many things burning the people of this country, particularly mothers. They feel they are going to raise sons — and I know what it’s like, and you have children of your own, Mrs. Johnson — we raise children and send them to war.”

- Eartha Kitt in a controversial address about the Vietnam War to President Lyndon Johnson, 1968

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 4:43pm

Lena Horne and her daughter Gail.

Lena Horne and her daughter Gail.

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 4:44pm
Dorothy Dandridge with daughter Harolynn aka “Lynn”.

Dorothy Dandridge with daughter Harolynn aka “Lynn”.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic