BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

City Officials ban Trayvon Mural in NJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 2:51pm
beautiful
Sponsored Links

glamrock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote glamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 2:59pm
My view is that if someone said, "Look, I paid 850k for my historic victorian home and 13k+ in property taxes and I dont want graffiti seen as ok and for my neighbors' kids to start spray painting round town for the sake of artistic expression", I wouldnt have a problem with their comment.

My problem is that the words 'gang activity' keep getting tossed around which is insane.
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2012 at 1:06pm
And these crackers want to preserve the pit where the titanic ship was found.....? well since a lot a yt people died i guess it's important! i hope a school of hungry sharks come by while they attempt to do this!
babycakebabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote babycakebabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 2:29am
Updates
1. Someone painted over the hooded figure in the mural a month after it was painted.
2. The lead artist is an acclaimed gallery featured artist that started his craft in street art.

http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/print.html?entry=/2012/05/controversial_trayvon_martin_m.html

Trayvon Martin mural defaced in Elmwood Park
Eunice Lee/The Star-Ledger By Eunice Lee/The Star-Ledger
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM, updated May 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM

ELMWOOD PARK — A mural created as a tribute to slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin was defaced over the weekend, according to one of its creators.

A photograph provided by Carmelo "Snow" Sigona shows a portion of the mural depicting a faceless individual in a hoodie was apparently painted over using a roller. The new paint appears to be of a shade similar to the original color.

The mural honoring Martin stretches across the side of Messina Deli on East 54th Street and became a hot-button issue after several area residents complained, some citing gang symbolism. A borough building inspector told the artists to paint over the mural, saying it violated a local ordinance. The owner of the building, John Quinn, supported the mural being displayed on his wall.

"Only the hooded character was touched which goes to show us that it wasn’t someone necessarily making a statement about the artwork, but they were obviously displeased (with) the hoodie and the Trayvon reference," Sigona said in an e-mail.

Borough officials could not be reached for comment yesterday.Resident Sally Quinn, who is not related to building owner John Quinn, said she drives past the mural almost everyday but didn’t notice any of the recent damage. She said the artwork is harmless.

"I don’t see a problem with it. I think people are overreacting," said Quinn, 50, who lives five blocks from the mural.

Martin, 17, was shot to death in Sanford, Fla., on Feb. 26 by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman.

Zimmerman, who claimed self defense, has been charged with second-degree murder and was released last month on $150,000 bond.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote babycakebabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 2:41am

*Joe Iurato dedicated a mural in Elmwood Park to slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin, who was wearing a hoodie.
*Joe Iurato in front of one of his works.

http://www.northjersey.com/arts_entertainment/146571455_Artist_s_hooded_figure_has_new_resonance.html?c=y&page=1#sthash.G3QUzuCV.dpuf  ".

Iurato’s hooded self-portraits have new resonance after Trayvon Martin shooting
NorthJersey.com

Joe Iurato started painting a nameless, faceless hoodie-clad figure long before Trayvon Martin was shot and killed on a street in Sanford, Fla.

Joe Iurato dedicated a mural in Elmwood Park to slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin, who was wearing a hoodie.Joe Iurato in front of one of his works."He's actually a self-portrait," Iurato says of his figure. "Every time I paint him, he's me."

Since that tragedy, though, some people have been relating to Iurato's artwork in a whole new way. And his hoodie character is having something of a moment.

Though Iurato says that any likeness to Martin is "purely coincidental," he did recently shoot a photo of himself in a hoodie, carrying a box of Skittles (which Martin had on him when he died), and posted it on the Internet for anyone to use. And he's heard that people have been printing it out and pasting it in Florida and elsewhere.

Iurato and four other graffiti artists –who go by the street names Snow, Demer, Mr. Mustart and 2Tek –were recently invited to paint a wall on East 54th Street in Elmwood Park, his hometown. And the mural spontaneously became a "dedication" to Martin. Across the top, it said, "Trayvon, we got you."

"My character, as always, wound up on the wall. And, as we were painting this …we realized in the moment that it was something we could use to express our thoughts on what happened," says Iurato, who heard late Thursday that the town may have that mural removed. (He noted that graffiti or street art is "often misinterpreted and controversial to begin with.")

On Friday, Mayor Richard Mola said he had no knowledge of the plan and had not even seen the mural. As of press time, the mural was expected to remain through the weekend, then be removed.

Iurato, 39 –a certified sommelier who is The Record's wine columnist –began as a street artist, and his work with hand-cut stencils and spray paint reflects those roots.

Nowadays, he does commissioned work for the likes of the NBA and Nike, and his artwork is featured in galleries. But Iurato travels all over to paint murals in communities that need color and brightness, always with the permission of property owners.

"These are things that I don't do for money, because it's something I feel I can give to the community," Iurato says. "You can express yourself to a larger audience better than you ever possibly could in a gallery or in somebody's home."

The hoodie character he loosely calls "nobody" started appearing in his work about three years ago. "I was going through some really turbulent times. …I had lost my job, I was trying to support a family. Things were really tough," Iurato says. "I tend to paint very personal things, so I started telling my story through this character."

Realizing that many people were in the same tough position, he says, "I took the face out of this character and gave him a hood, and basically he could be anybody."

He soon noticed that people interpreted the character in many ways. "Some looked at it as being very spiritual, religious. Some looked at it as being thuggish. Some looked at it as being a Grim Reaper, something evil," says Iurato. "People have a fear of the unknown. If you can't see a person's eyes, you're immediately threatened.

"I'm the guy in that hood, and I'm the least threatening a person could get," says Iurato, who lives in Cedar Grove with his wife, Shelly, and two young sons.

Iurato does not want to forever be associated with the Florida incident.  "When I paint this character now, will people always look at it and think, 'That's Trayvon?' " he says. "Why such a strange phenomenon, that you put a hood on your head and people are automatically afraid of you?"

Edited by babycakebabe - Jul 10 2013 at 2:44am
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 3:02am
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

it's nice

It is. I think it shows a unity between the latino community and black community...

Why would they want this down?

because it shows a unity between the black and latino communities.
juniper angel View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniper angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 3:37am
There's white ppl at elm wood park since when and they mad for what they don't ever go to that park any ways it's messed up and their scared. Idk about this whole Spanish and black ppl getting together thing but okay.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycakebabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 3:49am
Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

There's white ppl at elm wood park since when and they mad for what they don't ever go to that park any ways it's messed up and their scared.

the mural was in the town elmwood park in bergen county. not in the park, elwmood park in e.o., nj.

Edited by babycakebabe - Jul 10 2013 at 3:50am
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 3:59am
The racist Italians have Bergen County on lock...they don't want that there. They will have to do that in Essex or one of the other southern counties in NJ. 
juniper angel View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniper angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 4:03am
Originally posted by babycakebabe babycakebabe wrote:

Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

There's white ppl at elm wood park since when and they mad for what they don't ever go to that park any ways it's messed up and their scared.

the mural was in the town elmwood park in bergen county. not in the park, elwmood park in e.o., nj.

Oh ok lol i was about to say
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>