Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CIA Director David Petraeus Resigns, Cites Affair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedCIA Director David Petraeus Resigns, Cites Affair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: CIA Director David Petraeus Resigns, Cites Affair
    Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 2:34pm
care?

CIA Director David Petraeus resigns, cites extramarital affair

CIA Director David Petraeus resigned Friday, citing an extramarital affair and "extremely poor judgement."

In a letter released to the CIA work force on Friday afternoon, Petraeus disclosed the affair, and wrote: "Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours."

President Obama "graciously accepted my resignation," he wrote. 

Petraeus was appointed CIA director in April 2011, replacing Leon Panetta, who moved to the Pentagon to become defense secretary.

Petraeus served as commander of the war in Afghanistan in 2010-2011. Because of that role, he was seen as bringing a “customer’s eye” to the intelligence job. Before that, he served as commander of the U.S. Central Command and as the commanding general of U.S. forces in Iraq.

Multiple sources tell NBC News that Mike Morrell, the deputy CIA director and a longtime CIA officer, would likely be offered the job as acting director but with the understanding that he may be elevated to the job permanently at some point.

Here is the full text of Petraeus' letter:

HEADQUARTERS Central Intelligence Agency

9 November 2012
Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA.  After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair.  Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours.  This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation.

As I depart Langley, I want you to know that it has been the greatest of privileges to have served with you, the officers of our Nation's Silent Service, a work force that is truly exceptional in every regard.  Indeed, you did extraordinary work on a host of critical missions during my time as director, and I am deeply grateful to you for that.

Teddy Roosevelt once observed that life's greatest gift is the opportunity to work hard at work worth doing.  I will always treasure my opportunity to have done that with you and I will always regret the circumstances that brought that work with you to an end.
Thank you for your extraordinary service to our country, and best wishes for continued success in the important endeavors that lie ahead for our country and our Agency.

With admiration and appreciation,
David H. Petraeus

=========================================

UPDATE:

Paula Broadwell, David Petraeus Biographer, Reportedly Woman Involved In CIA Director's Affair: Slate

Paula Broadwell, a Harvard researcher who co-wrote a biography of David Petraeus, is the woman with whom the retired four-star general had an affair, prompting his abrupt resignation on Friday as director of the CIA, according to Slate's Fred Kaplan.

Broadwell co-authored "All In: The Education of General David Petraeus," which was released in earlier this year. According to her website, she was embedded with the general in Afghanistan from July 2010 to July 2011 and was "afforded extensive access by General Petraeus, his mentors, his subordinates, and his longtime friends."

MSNBC's Richard Engel reported on Friday evening that the FBI is conducting an ongoing investigation into Broadwell to see whether she had improper access to Petraeus' emails and may have seen classified information. Engel added that it doesn't appear that any charges are going to be filed, and that Petraeus himself is not being investigated.

From the Associated Press:

Officials say revelations about the affair that led to Friday's resignation of CIA Director David Petraeus were discovered in the course of an FBI investigation.

The officials, briefed on what led to the CIA director's sudden resignation, spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.

It was unclear what the FBI was investigating or when it discovered the Petraeus affair.

Broadwell, like Petraeus, graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point, according to a biography on her website.

Just last month, Broadwell wrote "General David Petraeus’s Rules for Living" for Newsweek/The Daily Beast.

The fifth of the 12 "Lessons on leadership" from the general is "We all will make mistakes." She wrote, "The key is to recognize them and admit them, to learn from them, and to take off the rear view mirrors -- drive on and avoid making them again."

Petraeus has been married to Holly Petraeus for 37 years. The couple became engaged while they were in college and have two children.

Edited by PurpleHaze - Nov 09 2012 at 6:54pm
Sponsored Links

danni7 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 2:37pm
Oooohhhhhh really. I wonder what's the real reason he quit
FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 2:38pm
Interesting...

ETA: Don't care ATM.

ETFA: If he quit cuz he got caught cheating and was about to be exposed, I'm glad he quit. Not because he's a heaux, but because he's careless/reckless. If you head of the CIA, I expect you to be able to creep covertly. If you can't, you are not fit for the job.

Edited by FarraFace - Nov 09 2012 at 2:46pm
Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 2:38pm
Stupid reason to quit. As long as what he was doing wasn't illegal that was between him and his wife. 
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 2:39pm
Wow ... you'd think that the CIA director wouldve been more methodical 

but there may have been some cover up, abuse of power and what not that would make him unfit
CamiK View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by danni7 danni7 wrote:

Oooohhhhhh really. I wonder what's the real reason he quit
Didn't wanna serve under Obama?

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 2:41pm
yikes
BrownQtee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 2:41pm
Wise choice. Doesn't matter if it has nothing to do with his job. When you are in such a high powered position, everything is fair game.
Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 2:43pm
this sounds like a cover up. 
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 2:43pm
so close after the election ... interesting
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs