Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Christians: What helped you to decide your church?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christians: What helped you to decide your church?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2013 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by sbrownie84 sbrownie84 wrote:

Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

One that:

-Observes the original Sabbath
-Does not stray from the teachings in the bible
-Does not beg for money
-Does not teach prosperity teachings or feel good messages
-Has members in the 28-50yr range (ie not only the elderly or the really young)
-Has active ministries
-Community/volunteer involvement

I am curious to why you are against prosperity teaching and feel good messages. Do you mind elaborating/
I feel like it's against the teachings of Jesus.
Sponsored Links

india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2013 at 9:32pm
I change faith at the age of 9 with my parents . I trust in the teachings of The Church of Christ . I am not a fan of Big mega churches ,even in The Church of Christ . I saw too many congregations that forgot what christ taught regarding wealth . When the pastor is flying all of the world and you never see him at his own church , except for his anniversary ? No thanks .
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2013 at 10:22pm
Us Hebrews refer to what yall would call a church as camps or schools.

The camp I'm with now I pretty much joined out of convenience at first. It was closer to home. I do love learning ancient hebrew and saying the prayers in the Lashawan Qadash.

What made me join the camp I'm with now is the fact that they are frequent in their studies and classes/gatherings; about 4 days a week. I also like the fact that we use books, dictionairies and other references to get proper understanding of the scriptures (OT and NT), so we basically walk out learning something new everyday.

snoep25 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote snoep25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2013 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Us Hebrews refer to what yall would call a church as camps or schools.

The camp I'm with now I pretty much joined out of convenience at first. It was closer to home. I do love learning ancient hebrew and saying the prayers in the Lashawan Qadash.

What made me join the camp I'm with now is the fact that they are frequent in their studies and classes/gatherings; about 4 days a week. I also like the fact that we use books, dictionairies and other references to get proper understanding of the scriptures (OT and NT), so we basically walk out learning something new everyday.

I spent 3yrs learning ancient Hebrew as well and used the tanakh for reference....but I'm a Roman catholic.

Edited by snoep25 - Apr 23 2013 at 10:49pm
niecy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2013 at 10:36pm
The church I attend (on the few times I even go to church nowadays) I've been going to since before I can remember. I've tried going to other churches just to see what they were like but the few other churches I have visited were um...Not what I'm used to.
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2013 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

I am curious to why you are against prosperity teaching and feel good messages. Do you mind elaborating/

Yes that is why.

Its all part of my understanding from reading and meditating on the word and growing in my personal relationship with Jesus Christ /the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

When I was first a believer I enjoyed the "You deserve everything because you are christian" -"Everything is wonderful b/c God won't let anything bad happen" messages, but once I started to really spend time in the word, I cannot follow those teachings.

This doesn't mean you can't live a happy life. LOL

I don't judge others who believe otherwise. I'll just say "pray about it".
Its just not for me.

Edited by yaya24 - Apr 23 2013 at 11:20pm
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 12:16am

What are some determining factors in choosing your church? Do you choose a church based on the age group or demographic?

Also is it blasphemous to choose a church based on your desire to make networking connections as well as being fulfilled spiritually?

Where I get the Word is where I go to church.  I am around white people so much that I think race was a big part of my choosing.  My church feels like home.  It is younger too.  I never thought of that.  But I chose it because they actually preach the Bible and unfortunately many other places we looked do not.  We've been there for 13 years.

I don't think it is blasphemous at all.  Church is family and family looks out for each other.  
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 12:30am
I've been going to my church since I was 5. Unfortunately, I may be needing to find a new one to accommodate my fiance and I. He goes to mass in Italian, I go to one in French/Creole. We can both do english, however, I'm not a fan of american masses.We'll figure it out when the time comes.
snoep25 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoep25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 12:30am
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

Yes that is why.

Its all part of my understanding from reading
and meditating on the word and growing in my personal relationship with
Jesus Christ /the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

When I was
first a believer I enjoyed the "You deserve everything because you are
christian" -"Everything is wonderful b/c God won't let anything bad
happen" messages, but once I started to really spend time in the word, I cannot follow those teachings.

This doesn't mean you can't live a happy life. LOL

I don't judge others who believe otherwise. I'll just say "pray about it".
Its just not for me.

Totally agree. I'm anti-prosperity & anti feel good msg as well. While they sound good a while, I don't think they give you any spiritual nourishment. I have nothing against prosperous people either...but teaching posetive thinking instead of biblical scripture doesn't sit right with ME.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 2:46am

when I prescribed to that, I picked a church that made me feel comfortable, I didn't have to listen to too much gossip and didn't have alot of niccas running around with the "holy ghost"

I also made sure we didn't have an overly interactive pastor that made evreyone, "turn to the next person and say this.", "Jump up, stomp your feet, kiss a crying baby, then thank the lord"

I was in a church and I thought that this nicca was going to make us do jumping jacks. I walked the fck out.

Oh I hate this too! And don't tell me to hug my neighbor either.
No.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System