Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Child Dies Bc There Was No School Nurse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ScorpioLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScorpioLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Child Dies Bc There Was No School Nurse
    Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 1:34am
America needs to get it together. This school cut having a school nurse on hand 5:5 days school is in session to only 2 days. This little girl happened to die on a off day. Hundreds of students, no nurse. What else will be cut? Cry

Dad Suggests Laporshia Massey's Death May Have Been A Result Of Philadelphia School Budget Cuts

If not for Philadelphia School District budget cuts, one father thinks his child may still be alive.

Daniel Burch said his daughter, 12-year-old Laporshia Massey, died from asthma complications on Sept. 25, according to local Fox outlet WTXF-TV. While Massey, a sixth-grader at Bryant Elementary School, began to feel sick earlier that day, she did not have the option of visiting a school nurse.

As a result of district budget cuts, the school can only afford to have a nurse on Thursdays and Fridays. It was a Wednesday.

Had a school nurse been available, Burch says, he or she would have recognized the seriousness of the situation and made sure Massey got immediate help. Instead, after spending the day at school, Massey died at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia that night, he told Philadelphia City Paper.

This is the second year Bryant Elementary School has not had a full-time school nurse, the outlet reports.

Budget cuts over the course of the past few years have left Philadelphia schools starved for support. Over the summer, the district closed 24 schools and laid off 3,783 employees, although fewer than half of those employees have since been re-hired.Schools are currently operating with bigger class sizes but a bare minimum of staff and support.

Now, Massey’s death has become a rallying point for leaders who believe that Philadelphia schools have become dangerous for children.

"We as a group of nurses and a group of certified asthma educators have been very concerned about the impact of reduced staffing in school districts,” Maureen George, assistant professor of nursing at the University of Pennsylvania, told Newsworks.org. She also said the school should have called 911 immediately.

Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, wrote to Gov. John Corbett, decrying the tragedy.

"We’ll never know if having a school nurse on site could have spared Laporshia’s life, but we do know that school nurses are trained to detect symptoms of asthma attacks," Weingarten wrote on Oct. 11. "We know that 1 in 11 children nationwide have asthma. And we know that in Philadelphia, the statistic is closer to 1 in 5."

She went on to ask that Corbett release $45 million of federal funding he has been withholding from the district until the Philadelphia Federation of Teachers signs a new contract that would require educators to take a massive pay cut.

Burch's attorney told WTXF-TV the family was considering filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the district, although they have not made a final decision on the matter.

While school district has been mostly silent when it comes to details of the case, a spokesman for the School District of Philadelphia did point out that Massey’s medical emergency occurred after she had already returned home.

"You see that a child is not breathing, you will call 911," the rep told NewsWorks.org. "That's the same situation you will have in any location, a mall a school, a day-care center."

Sponsored Links

coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 2:03am
that is really sad and unfortunate... rip. 

however, i dont think my schools ever had school nurses.... 
i agree with the last two sentences. 

Edited by coconess - Oct 13 2013 at 2:04am
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 2:09am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

that is really sad and unfortunate... rip. 

however, i dont think my schools ever had school nurses.... 
i agree with the last two sentences. 

Confused who gave all the ADHD kids their meds during lunch?
HeyBeautiful18 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeyBeautiful18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 2:25am
My middle school was like that too. Then again it was a private school

coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 2:25am
idk LB.. 

i just dont ever remember having a real school nurse. are they supposed to be a forreal nurse? 
I think sister Ann at my elementary/middle used to serve as math teacher/school nurse... she was nowhere to be found when i had a tac all the way stuck in my knee like a wall... 

but at my high school(s) i really dont think we had a school nurse period. 

Edited by coconess - Oct 13 2013 at 2:26am
ScorpioLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ScorpioLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 2:38am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

idk LB.. 

i just dont ever remember having a real school nurse. are they supposed to be a forreal nurse? 
I think sister Ann at my elementary/middle used to serve as math teacher/school nurse... she was nowhere to be found when i had a tac all the way stuck in my knee like a wall... 

but at my high school(s) i really dont think we had a school nurse period. 
Yes they are real nurses. All my schools had nurses from elementary through HS. Thats a damn shame what happened to u. Confused

Edited by ScorpioLuv - Oct 13 2013 at 2:43am
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 2:41am
LOLDead did you pull it out, coco?

I dont know if they're RNs or LVNs or what, but I remember kids going to go lay down in their office when they didn't "feel good".
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 2:47am
they pulled it out. 

it was really all the way in my knee.. not just in some skin. some fat girl put it in my seat. 

scorpio, for 2 years i went to a small school for the arts.. im like 80% sure there was no nurse. 

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 2:49am
What the hell? No nurse-having schools? Wheredeydodatat?

Budget cuts be damned, you know damn well an institution of children needs nurses.
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 5:09am
Such a shame. Schools should always have a nurse on hand...Thank god I never went to a philly school. Those schools are the worst.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic