Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedChicken and Dumplings!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
daydai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chicken and Dumplings!!
    Posted: Jun 23 2011 at 8:26pm
So I made chicken and dumplings couple nights ago and that was my second time making it and it was gooood and really easy. I hadnt made it in awhile so I looked online for some recepes and they had ingredients in some of the recipes that I had never heard of before.
  Some things I had never heard of were cream of chicken/celery soup and using biscuits instead of homemade dumplings (I decided that was a white thing lol correct me if im wrong)
I dont have exact measurements but I used
Chicken
8 cups Water w/ 6 chicken boullion cubes (instead of chicken broth)
Frozen peas and carrots (others put in celery and onions but i didnt have any)
homemade dumplings made w/ flour
salt n pepper
butter
basil leaf
thyme and other seasonings to taste

If any of you have used biscuits insead of making the dumplings homemade did you notice a difference in taste and texture? What are yall recipes for chicken and dumplings??
Sponsored Links

Mamacita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2011 at 10:02pm
i did stew beef n dumplings recently...

i seasoned beef
then i boil the beef in water 1st, helps to soften it  (i hate tough beef)
while boiling i add a lil salt, pepper sauce n jus give a light flavour to the water it is being cooked in
then after the beef has been basically cooked, i put a put on stove n strt burn the brwn sugar after the sugar is melted and nice n caramel brown, take a spoon and spread this melted sugar all over the pot and then put the beef in. DO NOT ADD THE BEEF AND THE WATER, just the BEEF ALONE...
then let the beef get properly coated and leave 2 get brown....then add a little of the beef water (wat u used 2 boil) and pour a little in it..then make a nice thick gravy sauce in the pot....tastes nice cuz it has seasonings and flavour in it...then let cook and keep adding till a gud amt of gravy is present, makesure it is NOT watery...

then make your dumplings, and put dumplings to cook in the beef water, tht way dumplings retain sum spicy taste....then when dumplings are cooked let cool 4 a little and pour all the beef and sauce over the dumplings!!

basically u need flour water salt, sugar, white pepper, beef, black pepper, shadon beni, paprika, onion, celery, n sum other stuff i cant remember...

add barbeque sauce and ketchup in the beef to to get tht thick sauce gravy b4 u add it to the dumplings.

DarkEyes View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2011 at 1:44am
I saw a chicken and dumpling recipe made with biscuits on a cooking show and decided to try it.  It's actually pretty good when you just want to make it really quick.  My grandmother would sometimes cut up flour tortillas in hers which shocked me, but I guess they both have the basic ingredients of a dumpling.  It's just whether you choose to make them or not. It's different, but not in a bad way IMO.
daydai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2011 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Mamacita Mamacita wrote:

i seasoned beef
while boiling i add a lil salt, pepper sauce n jus give a light flavour to the water it is being cooked in
then after the beef has been basically cooked, i put a put on stove n strt burn the brwn sugar after the sugar is melted and nice n caramel brown, take a spoon and spread this melted sugar all over the pot and then put the beef in. DO NOT ADD THE BEEF AND THE WATER, just the BEEF ALONE...
then let the beef get properly coated and leave 2 get brown....then add a little of the beef water (wat u used 2 boil) and pour a little in it..then make a nice thick gravy sauce in the pot....tastes nice cuz it has seasonings and flavour in it...then let cook and keep adding till a gud amt of gravy is present, makesure it is NOT watery...

then make your dumplings, and put dumplings to cook in the beef water, tht way dumplings retain sum spicy taste....then when dumplings are cooked let cool 4 a little and pour all the beef and sauce over the dumplings!!

basically u need flour water salt, sugar, white pepper, beef, black pepper, shadon beni, paprika, onion, celery, n sum other stuff i cant remember...

add barbeque sauce and ketchup in the beef to to get tht thick sauce gravy b4 u add it to the dumplings.

That sounds REALLY good when you said the brown sugar i was like oohh lawd its gonna be good lol. Im going to have to try this one day.
daydai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2011 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by DarkEyes DarkEyes wrote:

I saw a chicken and dumpling recipe made with biscuits on a cooking show and decided to try it.  It's actually pretty good when you just want to make it really quick.  My grandmother would sometimes cut up flour tortillas in hers which shocked me, but I guess they both have the basic ingredients of a dumpling.  It's just whether you choose to make them or not. It's different, but not in a bad way IMO.
I saw that while looking up recipes and it shocked me too I just dont think it would puff up and be as good as buscuits or flour but IDK. I just imagine a soggy tortilla Dead LOL
Mamacita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2011 at 12:21am
Originally posted by daydai daydai wrote:

Originally posted by Mamacita Mamacita wrote:

i seasoned beef

That sounds REALLY good when you said the brown sugar i was like oohh lawd its gonna be good lol. Im going to have to try this one day.

lol thanks Embarrassed n u can always ask me anything wen u decide 2 try
DarkEyes View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2011 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by daydai daydai wrote:

Originally posted by DarkEyes DarkEyes wrote:

I saw that while looking up recipes and it shocked me too I just dont think it would puff up and be as good as buscuits or flour but IDK. I just imagine a soggy tortilla Dead LOL

It is definitely a difference in texture LOL!  Absolute last resort, but not terrible.
Diva315 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2011 at 11:53am
I've used biscuits before. I make a similar recipe in my crock pot. I cut the biscuits up and add them towards the end. They do puff up very well. I use the jumbo flaky biscuits.
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2012 at 1:23am
i've had them with biscuits and it was good and had them with flor tortillas and it was better
bg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2012 at 11:47am

Southern Chicken and Dumplings

1 (3 lb) chicken (or you can use pieces)

2 quarts water

1 large onion , quartered

2 carrots , quartered

1 stalk celery , quartered

1 bay leaf

1 teaspoon peppercorn

2 teaspoons salt

1 sprig thyme

1 sprig rosemary

Dumplings

3 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

5 tablespoons shortening

1/4 cup chicken stock

2/3 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

salt and pepper

Directions:

Place chicken in a heavy 5 quart stockpot with water to cover.

Add the onion, carrot, celery, bay, peppercorns, salt, thyme and rosemary.  Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Skim scum if needed.

Remove chicken and set aside to cool. Remove meat and return bones to pot.  Simmer for 1 hour more. 

Strain well and remove any fat you can.

Dumplings - Combine flour, soda, salt.  Cut in shortening until flour resembles coarse crumbs. 

Add the stock, buttermilk and thyme.  Stir to make a stiff dough-and it will be stiff.  Turn out onto a floured board and knead gently 6 times.  Wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour.

Bring strained broth to a boil, reduce to a simmer.  Roll out the chilled dough to 1/8 inch thick, and cut into 4x1 inch pieces.  Drop them into simmering stock and stir gently.  Cook for 10 minutes, add the chicken and cook for 5 min more.

*its important to taste/adjust the seasoning as you go along, you can also add a little milk/heavy cream for a more creamy gravy -- don't dump all of the dumplings in at one time or they will stick together*

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic