Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Charlize Theron compares press intrusion to rape
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Charlize Theron compares press intrusion to rape

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charlize Theron compares press intrusion to rape
    Posted: May 30 2014 at 12:53pm
Ermm 
http://www.salon.com/2014/05/30/charlize_theron_compares_press_intrusion_to_rape/

FRIDAY, MAY 30, 2014 03:28 PM +0100

Charlize Theron compares press intrusion to rape

Celebrities: Please stop saying anything but rape is like rape

MARY ELIZABETH WILLIAMS

TOPICS: CHARLIZE THERONRAPERAPE CULTUREJOHNNY DEPPKRISTEN STEWART

Charlize Theron compares press intrusion to rapeCharlize Theron (Credit: Reuters/Mario Anzuoni)

You’d think Gwyneth Paltrow would have had a lock on the unselfaware hyperbole of the week award when she recently described cruel online comments as “almost like how, in war, you go through this bloody, dehumanizing thing, and then something is defined out of it.” Then, along came another blonde Oscar winner to top her.

In a Friday interview with Sky News, Charlize Theron fielded a comment about the “very personal and almost intrusive” results one gets for Googling her name. “I don’t do that, so that’s my saving grace,” she replied. “When you start living in that world, and doing that, that you start feeling, I guess, raped.” And when the interviewer pressed her, asking, “That strong?” she answered, “Well, when it comes to your son and your private life. Maybe it’s just me. Some people might relish in all that stuff ,but there are certain things in my life that I think of as very sacred and I am very protective over them.”

Theron didn’t invent the celebrity rape comparison. In 2010, Kristen Stewart admitted she’d made “an enormous mistake” after she compared paparazzi photos of herself to “looking at someone being raped.” And in 2011, Johnny Depp had to issue a similar mea culpa after he compared being photographed to “being raped somehow. Raped. The whole thing.” But you’d think that Theron, who survived the violence of having her alcoholic father threaten to kill her and her mother, and her mother shooting him to death in self-defense, would have a more sensitive ear to the real violence and abuse that is doled out regularly around the world. Four years ago, she participated in the UN’s Stop Rape Now campaign as a “messenger of peace,” reminding the world that “She could be your mother, your sister, your daughter.” She has visited the Democratic Republic of the Congo and written about her experience visiting a hospital there that treats women who’ve been especially violently raped and abused. And she has participated in an anti-rape campaign in her home country of South Africa, where as she herself noted, “More women are raped than in any other country in the world.”

Online abuse is real, and it can be serious and traumatizing. Likewise, the invasiveness of paparazzi and celebrity tabloids is legitimately scary and threatening. But Theron’s remarks come in the same week that two teenaged Uttar Pradesh sisters were gang raped, strangled and hanged from a tree after they went out into the fields near their home to relieve themselves because their home had no toilet. They come one week after a deadly mass shooting that wasfueled by misogyny. Theron should have known better. Much much better. Katie Russell, a spokeswoman for sexual violence charity Rape Crisis, told the Independent Friday, “She is comparing something which I have no doubt is a distressing experience, but it is never helpful or appropriate to use sexual violence as a metaphor for experiences in that way. It detracts from what is a very real, and very serious experience for survivors and it trivializes sexual violence. For someone who actually has some understanding of the lifelong impact sexual violence has on its survivors, it is extremely disappointing.”

Having your privacy invaded or having people say cruel or even threatening things about you is no doubt a very stressful thing, one that people in the public eye have to endure on a constant basis. But you know what’s like rape? Rape. You know what isn’t? Pretty much everything else. And there are ways to talk about a particular kind of intrusiveness without insensitively comparing one experience to a very different and utterly harrowing one. Theron herself did it, just fine, at another point in the interview, when she said, “My job has made my life incredibly blessed and good and I am very grateful for that, but it does not mean that every aspect of my life all of a sudden becomes fodder for an article. I try to protect against that as much as I can.” That’s all she needed to say. And if you’re a celebrity and you’re talking about rape, don’t do it unless you’re really talking about rape.

Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 1:10pm
you shoulda just called this thread white woman doing the most...again.LOL

after reading the article, they took this sh*t too far lol pulled out a rape victim advocate and everything smh

Quote Theron should have known better.

people expect actors to be smarter and better people than they are.  we forget that no one is writing lines for them in real life.  *shrugs*  people say dumb sh*t thats life but for the rest of us, people dont rush to there tablets and whip out page long articles,blogs and commentary.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 1:57pm
she should have used the word violated, that is what she meant

She must know that if she were raped, the trauma would be much much more severe, so there's no comparison 

Poor vocabulary got her in hot water

Edited by rickysrose - May 30 2014 at 6:09pm
thewonderfulwa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thewonderfulwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 1:58pm
let me shed some white tears.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 2:03pm
Bhm is acting up today... took 6 mins to post a msg

Edited by rickysrose - May 30 2014 at 2:05pm
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 2:05pm
That story about the sisters is horrible. I googled the pics, they are so sad.
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by thewonderfulwa thewonderfulwa wrote:

let me shed some white tears.
LOL

would you like a mug to drink them in?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 2:11pm
i didn't even read the whole article yes sn absolutely horrible

They would have taken getting paid millions and photos and articles any day over their experience

Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 2:34pm
Ugh this bish. White women forever exaggerating their "struggle" just shut up.
DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 3:40pm
wow just read the story of the 2 cousins...shoot even the police are corrupt into protecting the criminals...well it is done everywhere in the law.....Hush Money..

who's next to open their dumb mouth to say something in the clear world...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic