Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Celine Dion Supports the BAN on Hijabs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 2:50am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

This is a good reason to advocate for secularism as far as government is concerned. There needs to be some compromise here, but what happens if it goes beyond a simple discussion of a hijab? What if a mana wants to argue for the right to subjugate his wife? Should we, as a progressive society, allow that to happen? If a person, based on religious or cultural grounds, believes that others should go to a beach and be covered because it offends them, should that happen? Should anyone, whether it be a Muslim or someone who is just repeatedly sick and wears a surgeon's mask, decides they want to cover their face for ID, should that be okay?

I understand that there are certain rights that should be afforded individuals, but they can't come at te expense of the whole society.
I understand all of the points that you outline and I agree with them. The thread was about the Charter, though, which states that a muslim woman cannot wear a simple scarf on her head even if she's competent at her job, as if the mere act of wearing said scarf is contagious and will draw in White French agnostics to convert to Islam. They act like the damn scarf is a disease that they will be infected with just by setting their gaze upon it. It's a question of it being offensive to THEIR EYES. What does that have to do with these women doing their job? You say you want to reaffirm the equality of men and women and yet you want to send educated, competent women back to the kitchen over a freakin' scarf??? Not a full covering, afghan style. A SCARF.

As far as demands pertaining to what Quebec calls "reasonable accommodations" that turn out to be unreasonable, I completely understand. There was a school where some muslim parents insisted that their girls be allowed to use the pool alone, without any boys around. They actually caved for a while but to me that was an example of an UNREASONABLE accommodation.

This is completely different. Of course, subjugation of any kind should not be tolerated. That's crystal clear. We're talking about expressing your cultural and spiritual affiliations through your manner of dress.

Okay, I understand that, then.  If a woman wants to wear a scarf, let her.  I don't see an issue with that.
Sponsored Links

Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 3:54am

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

I won't deny xenophobia on the part of white people though.  However, in the example I gave of Norway, they are a very open country, but Muslims (specifically Arab Muslims) have a very difficult time assimilating anyway.  Black Muslims there are doing much better.

Not the case in Quebec. Quebec  is actually very choosy with its immigration. Arabs out here tend to be educated. And good businessmen.

Gessh what makes Quebec different than everyone else?

The same exact thing is happening here in Europe with the Germans, the poles .. the Brits ... everyone has the same complaint.

It just becomes so much White Noise to me after awhile -  I don't pay it any mind anymore

Waste of energy.

When someone immigrates ...  the onus is on THEM to adapt to the culture (as best they can)  or go the heck back to where they came from. DUH!
I'm sorry but you're being ignorant and close-minded. You don't understand Quebec reality and you don't take into account that the policy of multiculturalism works quite well in the rest of Canada. This is all stemming from their fear of assimilation, which is actually more real than in Europe because they are surrounded by English Canada that hate their guts. Quebec is only one province of the entire country. I don't know how else to explain it to you.

Sorry but I think you are bitter and unhappy and ever displeased with your situation and surroundings in Quebec .. or anywhere else.

I  think you will spin your situation into the negative every chance you get (just like so many AAs on this board) and will never find true happiness. (Either thst or everything you say is just a front .. like a lot of people here ... so you can go back to living an absolutely normal life)

Good Luck,
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 4:36am

Originally posted by Blac1Chyna Blac1Chyna wrote:

If you move to an Arab country you will have to submit to their customs, so vice versa. They knew what it was when they moved to the Western world so don't try to change sh*t now that you here. You aint special. Either abide by our culture, go back to your country, or stay in your own community enclaves and do your own thing.
Isn't this pretty much the discourse of white americans towards blacks, though? Whites are the majority so why don't you conform to our way of doing things and push your own cultural references aside? you will legitimately argue that blacks have been there since the beginning and have built America but they don't care. Are you going to ask to ask americans of various ethnic groups to renounce ALL the cultural traits that make them unique and adhere to a white Mayflower protestant type of assimilation without retaining anything of their characteristics? If you don't agree with that within America, than how can you agree with that within Canada, more specifically Quebec? Are you going to ask that black muslims renounce wearing visible signs of their religion and toss their scarves aside? You're reducing a complex situation into something one-dimensional.

No, now who’s being ignorant.

Black Americans came to America as slaves. They had no choice. They didn't decide that [fill in African country here] was not to their liking and then just picked themselves up and took a slow boat to America and then once they got here they realized they had to abandon their culture to live here.

No.

Slaves don't have choices. We got stuck in America and after 300 some years of whoever wanted to forced themselves between the legs of our great, great, great, great etc grandmother ... virtually all AAs are mixed with White, Indian ... you name it. (Myself .. I have this rare (non-threatening) blood thing going on and the doctor told me ... this is common with people of Middle Eastern descent. DUH!)

You are exaggerating again though. America is a melting pot just as many other countries are .. and many people hold on to their heritage just fine. People like to wear certain clothes, eat certain foods etc … you just can't hold on to something that comes into CONFLICT with the rest society.

So when I hear about the 'honor killings' or the force child marriages in the Muslim community here in The Netherlands YES those practices come into CONFLICT with Dutch society!!!!!!!!

And yes the America was built on our backs both literally and figuratively ... so now .. we are just much American as the White people that .. stole it from the Indians. So YES AA people conform to the White American standard mainly because .. that's all there is for us ... we are mixed in with the Whites at this point.

Black Muslims? Are you kidding me? When have Black Muslims ever been a part of Black American HISTORY?

Never.

Black Muslins just got popular in American in the last 40 or 50 years .. but this has NEVER been a part of the AA history.  Noooooo. I have no allegiance or connection to THAT group.

I am afraid you are out of your depth here. You are trying to MORPH the situation with the Blacks in your country or Haiti or wherever you claim allegiance ... to the situation in America for Black folks. My European Black friends do the exact same thing.

Every country - where there is a legacy of slavery ... has a different story to tell.

Besides ...  I don't see any difference between the Black or the White muslins because to me all religion is crap - designed for a bunch of weak people that need someone else tell them how to live. DUH! So if the Black Muslims want to walk around America or Britain or The Netherlands ...all wrapped up they will likely experience the same problems all the other Muslims are experiencing.. which 'in this country you have conform to the standards we have here'.

Again if I go to a Muslim country .. and I have .. I don’t argue a bit. I wear the wrapped up clothing, cover my hair, don’t look men the eyes etc just like everyone there tells me I’ve gotta do. But I don’t LIVE there – heck no.

btw - I have absolutely no problems with Muslims of any color wearing a scarf on their head .. it's the whole body wrapped up thing so you can tell if it's a man or a woman or WHO it even is .... that I have a problem with.

I also have a problem with these groups moving to The NL and trying to get all the rest of us to conform that that crap. Why should all of us have to change because they moved to this country. That is a problem.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Nov 02 2013 at 4:41am
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 4:54am
Printer_Ink.  Sometimes I can't figure you out.

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 5:30am
Originally posted by Immie89 Immie89 wrote:

Jolie i agree with you, that their just angry.

But they can stay mad.

gorgeous. I love when they do barbie up in cultural dress.  need to get back to collecting when I can.

I do have one question tho....and I promise i'm not shading or tryna be 'funny'.  But i've always wondered for the fashionable muslima's...is make up...halal?   I had been told that no adornments were allowed.  Or does it depend on the type of muslim that you are?  Kinda like how baptists and protestants are different?
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 6:37am
I don't think people in the Netherlands consider YOU one of THEM so you might want to rethink this whole "us" thing. ijs
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 6:42am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

I don't think people in the Netherlands consider YOU one of THEM so you might want to rethink this whole "us" thing. ijs
tou·ché
to͞oˈSHā/
exclamation
exclamation: touché
  1. 1.
    • used as an acknowledgment during a discussion of a good or clever point made at one's expense by another person.

(in fencing) used as an acknowledgment of a hit by one's opponent.

Edited by bindy - Nov 02 2013 at 11:25am
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 7:44am
Is it the scarf they want to ban or the full facial and body cover including gloves.

I don't understand the pretty eye makeup and red lipstick (like the barbie pic) if the whole point is to not be alluring to men. The eye makeup with lashes of mascara is tantalising.

Also, the headscarf on children as young as 4. Why?

Urgh I know I sound ignorant and even more so as I am from a Muslim background but the heavy make up and the babies in headscarf just throw me off.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 7:55am
Head scarves on lil girls because... nevermind. I was about to be ignant but I'll do us all a favor and keep it.
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 8:01am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>