Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Catcalling/Inappropriate Comments in Public?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catcalling/Inappropriate Comments in Public?
    Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 9:05pm
Hello BHM!

I'm currently undergoing a dilemma. For those of you who will take this as a shameless attempt at bragging, boosting myself, etc etc please exit. This is a serious post.

What do you do about catcalling in public? Some of it is fine e.g. simple compliments or what have you. But, I literally broke into tears when I came home from shopping because some old ass man literally followed me two blocks. He was talking with his friends and then they all began with the catcalls but I just kept it moving. Then I noticed one of them was following me. When I started to run, he quickened his pace. An older woman who was nearby actually had to walk me to my apartment because she realized what this crackhead was doing.

So what do you do? I was completely covered and make sure I am at all times when I go out now. I'm kind of at a loss. I've Googled other women's experiences and realized some women find comfort in sh*t like this happening but I do not. Help?
Sponsored Links

femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 9:14pm
I ignore people. I also don't live in a walking city anymore, so I don't have to deal with it nearly as much.

Head phones and sunglasses were my friends.

Senior Detective View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 9:19pm
you must take his hand, look him in the eyes, explain that it's not his fault for his actions.  The 400 years of oppression that our ppl had to endure is the cause of his behavior.  Once we have universal equality & reparations, he will learn to love & respect the black woman for the queens we are
Cry

ok, I would have ran, pressed charges, carried a taser or knife in the future.   Aint no use in reasoning with a psycho who doesn't know any better.  Sorry u had a bad nightHug
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 9:20pm
^^I find it hard to simply ignore. If I get a compliment my automatic reaction is to smile and look down and keep nodding if they say anything else. I hardly ever say anything back, though. It's just really getting out of hand. Thinking about buying pepper spray or something.
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 9:22pm
oh yes...get a taser and mace
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 9:23pm
I think this goes beyond catcalling.
You had a crack head raper man chasing you.

nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

So what do you do? I was completely covered and make sure I am at all times when I go out now. I'm kind of at a loss. I've Googled other women's experiences and realized some women find comfort in sh*t like this happening but I do not. Help?
i'm sorry this has happened. Hug  i hope that bhm's men know better, do better and would offer you some pov from the other side. 

for me-- it's rare that it gets to that point, but i'm one to confront. i will flatly tell a guy that he's disrespectful, it makes me uncomfortable and needs to take a step back. depends on the guy whether i take an ignant tone or not. 

if it's getting to this point femme, i hope you consider something to carry (gun, mace, pepper spray, knife, taser, brass knuckles-- clearly i don't care about illegality ) to keep you safe. 
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

The 400 years of oppression that our ppl had to endure is the cause of his behavior. 
i can't stand you though... LOL
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

you must take his hand, look him in the eyes, explain that it's not his fault for his actions.  The 400 years of oppression that our ppl had to endure is the cause of his behavior.  Once we have universal equality & reparations, he will learn to love & respect the black woman for the queens we are
Cry

ok, I would have ran, pressed charges, carried a taser or knife in the future.   Aint no use in reasoning with a psycho who doesn't know any better.  Sorry u had a bad nightHug

Girl I've been having a bad week. I'm out here visiting family for the holidays. I have never dealt with brazen men like this in my life. I was trying to do some shopping for my family/friends but had to stop short because of how aggressive people out here are. I was raised to always keep my head held high when I'm walking in public but I literally just stare at the ground every where I go here to avoid being harassed. It's ridiculous.
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 9:26pm
Brothas aint shiet, sorry you had to deal with that
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System