Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

CAT LADIES: I finally got one!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 9 Votes, Average 4.11  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:08am
Sponsored Links

TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:53am
Welcome to the cat lady crew!  LOL!

As for some of your issues, I will say that training your cat will take some patience and time.  My kitty does not and never has scratched furniture.  She has only recently started scratching a very old chair I brought out of storage, but other than that, she only scratches the carpet on the stairs.

I agree with others, that you should NOT declaw your cat, if only because it's like attempting to amputate a human at the first joint of their fingers.  Painful and should she need to defend herself if she escapes, she wouldn't be able to do so.  Just keep her nails trimmed. 

Have plenty of boxes and cat toys around for her to play with.  For now, you may just have to tolerate her curiosity.  She'll get bored and eventually stop getting into things she isn't supposed to.

When my kitty was very young, when she tried to get on the table or on the counter, I simply took her down and put her on the floor.  Double-sided sticky tape also works...as does aluminum foil.  Cats hate that stuff.

My kitty doesn't go for those scratching trees at all.  Sigh.

As for the water bowl, it sounds like you are giving her water in a plastic bowl.  I usually give my cat water in a large (dog size) ceramic bowl.  You can also give it to her in a large (dog size) metal bowl.

I do not and never have used a spray bottle because I didn't want Miya to associate water with a punishment--especially since I have to give her a bath every once in a while. 
foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

Foxy can come in here and interpret all that...

buy soft paws...Watch a youtube video to know how to apply them to your kitty paws and that will stop the clawing of the walls and your drapes.

foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 1:01am
   Both my babies are declawed. It was either that or my husband was going to throw them in the streets.
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 1:03am
Originally posted by foxyroy19 foxyroy19 wrote:

Both my babies are declawed. It was either that or my husband was going to throw them in the streets.

Cry  As much as my mom didn't like cats at first, I was surprised when she said she didn't believe cats should be declawed...and it helped that Miya didn't scratch where she wasn't supposed to.  When she did, all that would have to be done is to show her where it IS okay to scratch.
foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 1:18am
I have patience but my husband does not and when they scratched his two week old leather couch.....ooooooooweeee!
PeacefulOne View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeacefulOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 2:47am
I feel ya foxy.  My cat scratched my daughter across the face when she was little, and it was declaw or the gas chamber.  Both of my inside cats are declawed, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have done the nail caps.  But my babies are happy and fat, and very pampered.

OP congrats on your kitty!  They do outgrow a lot of the kitten behavior.  My biggest issue was with my house plants! They would dig and poop in the dirt, so I had to place large flat stones in the pots so they couldn't dig.  Trial and error!
Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 3:03am
When I was a kid we declawed our cat. Worst choice ever. She got out and couldn't defend herself and was hurt. A good vet can clip your cats nails.

As for the behavior problems bitter orange and http://www.feliway.com/ might be an option
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 5:41am
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

AwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwHeart

She's so cute!!!!!!

This!
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 3:42pm
Thanks for all the input!  I think we will look into getting her those soft paws, yall have talked me into it.  What happen when they grow out?

@Foxy: Your husband don't play Unhappy
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic