Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum Lockedcaring for natural hair under weave and weave?

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
strawberry90 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: caring for natural hair under weave and weave?
    Posted: Apr 03 2008 at 6:26pm
Hey,

was just wondering,

1. how do you care for your natural hair under the weave to

- prevent breakage when you take it out
- keep your scalp clean
- keep in moisturised

2. how do you care for your weaves themselves?

- at night time
- during the day
- brushing
- do you moisturise them using products??

thaaaanks x
Sponsored Links

QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2008 at 9:30am
I get a full sew in (meaning no hair left out) sewn onto my natural hair which is corn rowed.  This usually last anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks. 
Caring for Weave-- During this time, you will need to wash your weave as well as your natural hair. Weave hair is especially prone to becoming brittle and dry because it is not attached to the scalp and therefore doesn’t receive any of the body’s naturally nourishing oils. Therefore, apply a good moisturizer or product every 2 to 3 days (or as often as you like).

Products that have been successful in assisting me tame a curly mane.
  • TIGI Catwalk--Curls Rock
  • Beyond the Zone Noodle Head
  • Aveda Universal Brilliant Styling Creme
  • Salerm 21
  • Curlkeeper
  • Dove Smooth & Soft Anti-frizz Cream
  • Garnier Fructic soft curl crème
  • Sunsilk DeFrizz 24/7 (green bottle)
  • Aveda Be Curly
  • John Freida frizz ease dream curls & other products
However, I usually get whatever is on sale.  Wash the hair in the shower in luke warm water every 7-14 days (more often if you like).   Distribute shampoo and conditioners evenly throughout the hair. Squeeze the product through the hair. Pat excess water from the hair and allow the hair to dry completely before going to bed. Never sleep with the hair wet or damp.

Caring for natural hair underneath weave—
Although you should care for your weave as if it were your own hair, do not forget that it is a foreign object that has been attached to a part of your body.  Because of this, if weaves are not kept clean they can collect bacteria. Always wash your scalp as well as your natural hair and the weave hair every 7-14 days.

As for your natural hair, it can become dry and brittle if it is not washed, conditioned and moisturized on a regular basis. Therefore, you will want to use gentle products to clean your hair and make sure you keep your hair moisturized to prevent dryness.  If you do not have time to wash, I use Seabreeze or Witch Hazel to cleanse the scalp.  The products will cleanse/freshen the scalp in between washings.
I wash hair once a week using the con-wash method or shampoo. The con-wash method is basically getting a conditioner and diluting it with water.  Lifting the wefts and pouring into the scalp. I then use my finger tips to massage my hair/scalp and rinse out with water.  However, if I want to use a shampoo I use a moisturizing shampoo like Crème of Nature. 
Once the conditioner-water mix or shampoo is washed out, I apply a good leave in spray conditioning product (Infusion23).  Let my hair air dry, however, I do not go to bed with a wet head. Make sure your hair is completely dried before going to bed.  If I am tired I will get a blow dryer and dry in between the wefts.  I usually tie my hair up at night with a silk scarf/bonnet.

The next day I will use I apply a moisturizer (Luster's SCurl No Drip Activator) to my scalp in between braids.  Actually I moisturize or use light oil my hair/scalp on a daily basis. You can use braid sheen, moisturizing lotion, hair oil etc to prevent natural hair from dryness.  For curly weave, I finger comb (no brush- no comb). If the hair seems frizzy, apply the product, create two braids at night and then take them braids down in the morning.  It is advisable to wet wavy or curly hair every morning with conditioner mixed with water or any of the above mentioned products.  

BTW, there is a topic(s) on this in the Weave101 thread.

QTpie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2008 at 9:51am
Wow thanks Queenbee for your response..
MirP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2008 at 2:47pm
Thanks Queenbee that was great.
twistysis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2008 at 8:16pm
Great response, thanks.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair