Mynx Hair

Author
NEWMRS216 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: can someone explain to me.. the war
    Posted: Jul 30 2006 at 1:11pm
between lebanon and israel?
I read the news ALOt and i'm watching the aol picture reel and apparently the last isreali hit killed about 35 kids,, so sad.. i know it deals with hezbollah and israel but not sure why?  israel withdrew from the gaza strip, but that's different that deals with israel and the palestinians...
Sponsored Links

BJ View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2006 at 1:37pm
History of the Lebanese-Israeli Conflict
Jul 17 9:23 AM US/Eastern
Email this story
< =text/>

By The Associated Press

A brief history of the Lebanese-Israeli conflict:

Because Israel and Lebanon have never signed a peace accord, the countries remain officially in a state of war that has existed since 1948 when Lebanon joined other Arab nations against the newly formed Jewish state.

The two countries have been bound by an armistice signed in 1949, which regulates the presence of military forces in southern Lebanon.

With a large Christian minority in an overwhelmingly Muslim region, mercantile and Westernized, Lebanon was considered the least hostile Arab neighbor to Israel _ and the weakest. The rare skirmishes that occurred were mostly symbolic.

That began to change as Palestinian guerrillas became active. In 1968, Israeli commandos landed at Beirut airport and blew up 13 Lebanese airliners in retaliation for Arab militants firing on an Israeli airliner in Athens, Greece.

Under pressure from staunch anti-Israeli Arab regimes in 1969, Lebanon signed an agreement that effectively gave away a southern region for Palestinian guerrillas to use as a springboard to infiltrate Israel or launch cross-border attacks.

Israel retaliated regularly as Palestinian guerrillas fired on northern Israel, and Israeli forces invaded southern Lebanon in 1978. A U.N. peacekeeping force deployed and the Israelis pulled out after installing a local Lebanese militia in a border buffer zone, but the attacks continued.

Israel invaded again on a wider scale in 1982 to destroy Yasser Arafat's Palestinian guerrilla movement, which had established itself as a force within Lebanon during the country's civil war that began in The bulk of Palestinian guerrillas were evacuated from Lebanon, but a new Lebanese guerrilla force, Hezbollah, emerged with the aid of Iran and drawn from the Shiite Muslim community that inhabits southern and eastern Lebanon.

U.S.-sponsored negotiations produced a Lebanon-Israel agreement but that deal died as Lebanon collapsed in another round of civil war.

After a destructive and costly military campaign that lasted for three years, Israeli forces withdrew from most of Lebanon but retained a self-proclaimed "security zone" just north of its own border.

Fighting inside Lebanon would escalate periodically, including a 1993 Israeli bombing offensive and the 17-day "Grapes of Wrath" military campaign in 1996 that left about 150 Lebanese civilians dead. At that time, Israel was reacting against guerrilla attacks by Hezbollah against Israeli soldiers inside the occupied zone and against Katyusha rockets being fired by Hezbollah into Israel proper.

Israel left that zone in 2000, but warned that it would return if its security to the north was compromised.

Hezbollah trumpeted Israel's withdrawal as a great victory but claimed that Israel continued to occupy illegally a small, empty parcel near Syria called the Chebaa Farms.

Diplomats mostly see that claim as a convenient excuse to justify attacks against Israel. Nevertheless, the Israeli-Lebanese frontier had remained largely quiet for the past six years with occasional outbursts _ until a cross-border raid July 12 resulted in the capture of two Israeli soldiers and the killing of eight others, sparking the current warfare.

NEWMRS216 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2006 at 1:43pm
thanks billyjean...

i can't imagine living in a country where air raid missles happen regularly.. living in a war torn nation must be so horrible..
morning_glory View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2006 at 1:59pm
One of my girlfriends 80+year old grandmother is from Tyre, the south of Lebanon where there have been attacks. She had JUST moved back to Lebanon from France. It was so scary for all of us because she was there alone with her elderly sister and neither had access to any way to get out. She couldn't drive and was hardly able to walk long distances or stand in lines.

Her 23 year old nephew DROVE her and her sister ALL the way to Beirut. He drove them for 6hours, dodging attacks, driving them through the mountains, across rivers...Apparently none of his other family wanted to evacuate, but he decided he HAD to get his aunts out of there because they couldn't defend themselves..So he just packed them up and drove them to safety! I was like 'you have to introduce me to this GUY!'

I can't imagine how it would be to live in a war zone either. It is so sad that people have to resort to violence to get their point across. It's funny though because here we are gathering supplies, food, clothes etc. But the military hasn't gotten involved. I don't know exactly what everyone is afraid of, or what everyone is waiting for. It's hard because I am constantly hearing different sides. The only thing I know for sure is that innocent people are dying. People who have nothing to do with any of it are the ones who are paying for it.
Phoenix1017 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2006 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by diva577 diva577 wrote:

thanks billyjean...
 i can't imagine living in a country where air raid missles happen regularly.. living in a war torn nation must be so horrible..

Me too. And there are many many young peoepl in many countries who have never known peace. They probably never will. I can't even imagine how life is.

(Thinks of that danged Charles Taylor and kids who fought for him. They thought their purpose was to die for him and plainly said so. It is just sad.)
first time View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2006 at 9:33pm
I am following this on the news as well. I can't imagine how the citizens of that country are feeling. They are living in fear every day of their life non stop war, and violence. There is nothing they can do about it but wait it out or leave. If the leave where do they go? A young women who escaped because she was american was speaking about how a bomb went off right near the hotel she was staying at. The american embassy hasn't been able to do much to bring them to safety. This war should be what everyone is watching right now. It will determine how many things play out all over the world IMO. I saw the children who died on the news that was very painful but reality. It doesn't look like its going to get any better.   
INSOMNIAC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2006 at 9:47pm
I have been following and I just think it must be awful to live under those terrifying conditions. It makes me very sad to see so many innocent people dying.
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2006 at 11:22pm
The middle east has been, is, and always will be a hot spot til Jesus comes!   The ironic thing is that they are all really cousins.  Remember Ismael and Isaac?  Both sons of Abraham, but different mothers...these sons fathered these two nations that constantly fight each other over land and religion.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2006 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

The middle east has been, is, and always will be a hot spot til Jesus comes!   The ironic thing is that they are all really cousins.  Remember Ismael and Isaac?  Both sons of Abraham, but different mothers...these sons fathered these two nations that constantly fight each other over land and religion.

So, SO true!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2006 at 12:57am

Edited by aseya - Aug 02 2006 at 3:18pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>