Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - can someone explain this trend among "christians"?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

can someone explain this trend among "christians"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 16>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 3:31pm
girl its bhm. you know you gotta say everything. 
Sponsored Links

ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i'm just not understanding why it seems sideways crosses are seen so negatively...

next it's gonna be at an angle and symbolize when jesus carried the cross on his back Stern Smile

lol actually that's immediately what i thought of anyway...
Ds2nice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Ds2nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Krystal Klear Krystal Klear wrote:

Originally posted by Ds2nice Ds2nice wrote:

Originally posted by Krystal Klear Krystal Klear wrote:

Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

What does that have to do with Christians?
because they usually wear the cross of Christ, duh. I don't know why you're acting brand new or naive. I agree with Wonderland and Sang.

Just because YOU don't do it, does not mean its not a Christian thing

Not all Christians wear the cross.  I'm not trying to be nasty but I think you need reevaluate your answer.  Jehovahs, Seven-Day Adventists, and etc. do not idolize anything including Crosses.  Christianity is huge umbrella that houses different types of Christian religions. 
My answer is spot on.  I dont know what these other denominations have to do with my post.  Maybe YOU need to reevaluate YOUR answer.  Nobody in this thread said all christians wear the cross.  

@Concrete and Modeless, The ones who are mad are the ones quoting, agreeing, and thanking Alias.  It seems like they are mad that "christian" was used in the title and they feel like mswonderland was associating the sideways jewelry with ALL christians, when she is in fact only referring to those who wear it.  Many took offense to the title & reacted as such.  I as a christian can tell you that I am not offended because I dont feel like it was an attack on my faith or christianity.  If I'm not mistaken, mswonderland is a believer as well.

You said Christians and that would mean you are generalizing the entire Christianity group.  Example: If someone from another race said "Black people this and that....", would you think that it wouldn't pertain to you because you are Jamaican???  Gimme f*ckin break.  Get it straight. 
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 4:20pm
omg 
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

[QUOTE=Alias_Avi] What does that have to do with Christians?

now, here's somebody acting fresh out the wrapper
[/QUOTE

zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 4:23pm
lemme go read before I hop into me beddy with me teddy 
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 4:31pm
Krystal Klear View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Krystal Klear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 5:20pm
It wasn't for the whole group, like I said it was for those who wear it. sorry if you don't understand that
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 5:36pm

The first thing that came to my mind when i saw the cross was a trend or demonic symbol. I think the meaning is based on interpretation christain or not . I would never wear the cross .

A Bit Of Controversy About Sideways Cross Necklaces

There seems to be some concern about the orientation of the sideways cross on necklaces, bracelets, and other jewelry.  Some people have stated that they find it offensive that the cross is lying down when worn on the neck or wrist.  They view the cross as a highly respected, sacred symbol of Christianity, and as such they feel it should only be depicted in an upright position.

Gold Sideways Cross NecklaceBut the majority of those speaking out about it, including designers themselves, feel that it is really only a new take on this beautiful traditional symbol.  To them it may be a unique artistic view of their faith, or simply a new fashionable piece of jewelry that is unconventional compared to the upright cross pendants that we have long been accustomed to seeing.

In fact, the side cross necklace can actually be worn so that the cross is standing upright if the wearer so desires.  All one needs to do is move the chain a few inches to the right or left so that the off-center cross now hangs vertically on the neck.

Several Interpretations

Different people have come up with their own individual interpretations of what does the sideways cross mean.  Some of these are:

• It means you are well grounded and self-aware and you clearly recognize your place in the world
  • It represents the earth and humanity
  • It signifies Jesus Christ carrying the cross and suffering for mankind
  • It signifies the cross having been laid down after Jesus Christ has risen
  • It shows your readiness for the coming of the Creator, with the cross facing God at final judgment
  • It shows you are fashionable – no more, no less

Other Places We See Sideways Crosses

Long before sideways cross necklaces and bracelets became popular, there have been other instances where the cross is depicted lying down. For example, sideways crosses are often depicted on tombstones in a symbol of resurrection of the soul. Flag of Finland They may also reflect the resurrection of Christ.

Plus the flags of Sweden, Finland, and that of Denmark are a cross that is horizontal.  This is a  patriotic symbol of honor and pride, making the side cross necklace popular for people of these nationalities.

Bottom Line

Really, like any other jewelry or clothing item, a sideways cross necklace means whatever it means to the person wearing it.  So it can have any or all or none of the meanings outlined above

Edited by india100 - Sep 23 2013 at 5:39pm
ScorpioLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote ScorpioLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

What does that have to do with Christians?
Not a damn thing. Its just "trendy"
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair