BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Can My Hair Ever Go Back To Normal??

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
bubblysand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblysand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can My Hair Ever Go Back To Normal??
    Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 11:18am
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and I usually don't register to forums but I really reallllllyyyyy need help. Idk what I'm dealing with anymore and idk how to fix it so i decided to register in order to get the advice from other naturals. I'm 18 years old and decided to go natural in dec 2013 and I really loved my hair coming from years of relaxing. During this time of being natural for now what is 2 months I researched all types of things and came up to protein treatments, I figured I never used one before while I relaxed so I felt like maybe I needed one now that I was natural. I ended up purchasing Aphogee 2 step treatment and applied it to my hair on feb 16. My hair has NEVER been the same since then, it just doesn't hold any moisture AT ALL, it's brittle and constantly dry and I used to have low porosity hair but it seems my hair sucks up everything I put in it, it's like I've gotten myself a new head of hair that just doesn't act right. I'm so frustrated and brought absolutely everything (i believe i needed) to moisturize my hair but to end up in complete failure and I'm scared my hair will NEVER be normal again crying.png. I love my natural hair but I'm at the point where I feel I cannot save it and I'm now tempted to relax it once again Frown. I really neeeeddddd help, I really want to know how do people usually overcome protein overload? will my hair ever get back to normal? and what can i possibly do??
Products I have used: Neutrogena Triple Moisture DT mask, bee mine bea.u.ti.ful DC (made my hair worse because of the coconut milk), Aussie 3 Min Moist ( worked after baggying but the next day reverted back to it's brittle way) Tressemme Naturals Vibrantly smooth (did not work).
Thank you for your response it is truly appreciatedlove.png
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 1:04pm
It will get back to normal but it's gonna take time. Protein is powerful stuff and protein overload is the worst type of overload. When I had it, it took me at least 6 weeks for my hair just to stop breaking (despite intense moisturizing). It was awful. I guess you misjudged what your hair needed at the time. Or maybe it doesn't like hard protein treatments at all. When it comes to protein, always start with light treatments and then increase gradually to reconstructors and then, use 2 step as a last resort if needed.

Nowadays, I only use reconstructors. Used to be that 2 step was my lifesaver.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2014 at 5:20pm
please look at my posts on the forum topic in this section entitled, "wash and gos 'dont work' on nappy hair". i was going to get into a lot of the advice here, but then i figured the majority of things that you need to address in your hair care regimine i addressed there.  Smile

it will lead you to finding a lot of good information about moisture and low porosity hair. i also have had similar problems in the past especially with hydrolysed wheat protein which my hair seems to hate. i had a small bald spot from it it was so bad but recovered from doing ghe everynight. now the area is fully grown in and i'm on a journey to maximum hydration.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 11:25am
As far as I know protein treatments aren't permanent. They last for about six weeks at the most from what I've read. It just takes time and washings for the proteins bonded to your hair to wash away. 
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 11:36am
This is why I have never tried a protein treatment. I'm not afraid of protein as far as using products with protein in them, but a concentrated protein treatment? Nah. At one point I think I was getting moisture overload so I gradually introduced protein back into my regimen in larger and larger amounts through protein based conditioners/leave-ins. But I'd rather err on the side of too much moisture any day.
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2014 at 1:20pm
#1 - It will take time, but your hair will go back to normal
#2 - I would use a chelating shampoo to make sure I wash out all of the aphogee product
#3 - I would use LOC method and GHE at night (google them) until the hair is closer to being normal again.
marissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:12pm
Try doing a hot oil treatment with coconut oil, or maybe sit under a dryer with a hair masque for the next couple of shampoos.
AriesBabe09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AriesBabe09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 12:45pm
Maybe you can try hot oil treatments with oils that penetrate the hair shaft, like Avocado oil, or Olive oil or Jojoba oil. I wouldn't do Coconut oil(even though I LOVE it) because of the protein content. Or try some homemade DIY conditioning treatments. They have a section with some great recipes here on BHM.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic