Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedCan I get a sew in weave with short hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
lovelove View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I get a sew in weave with short hair?
    Posted: Jul 14 2010 at 7:59pm
So I went to this stylist today who cut my hair because it was SUPER damaged and she told me the only way it will grow back to its normal length is if she cut it(my normal length was passed my shoulders but I got sick a long time ago which caused me to lose a lot of hair in the back of my head,so this is a dramatic change).I waited so long to finally get my hair cut because I was so scared.I've never had my hair cut before,so therefore I have never had it this short.It looks VERY VERY similar to this.

My family told me it look nice but I think I look ugly.The hair style is cute..but it just doesn't fit me.I think you have to be BOLD,& confident to rock a hair style like this...& I'm just not at that point in my life where I feel like that yet.Before I got my hair cut like this I was waiting THE LONGEST to get a sew- in weave.Some of you may even remember me posting questions about curly weave.I'm kind of depressed because now I think my hair is too short to get a sew-in.Can any of you ladies help me please?

Sponsored Links

jamielynn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 12:59am

i am so sorry this happened to you. i had a similiar problem to yours. i had to chop off all my hair to and now i am back to the weaves. i had my hair cut to about 2 and half inches long which to me was very very short, and i to was worried that my hair was to short to get a sew in , but my stylist was really good and she made my braids small and weaved in some synthetic hair into my braid so that the braids would hold. i am not gonna lie, there was an awful lot of tention from the toooo tight braids on my head but it worked. i hope this helps. also there another option , you could do a quick weave, there is a greater risk of damaging you natrual hair with the glue but if you use something like gro protect , i think thats what it is called (it creates a protective barrier for your natrual hair, so that the glue doesnt pull your natrual hair out) that might be another option for you . :)

JJones93 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 1:31pm
you can get a sew-in  using the net or just find someone that can braid short hair. if you decide to glue it in you should try getting it clue onto a hair cap. i saw thing lady do it and it turned out really good
milan z View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 5:09pm
Whatever you do, DO NOT USE GLUE ON YOUR HAIR!!
You have some options, depending on how short the hair is you may be able to get a sew in. Make sure you talk to the stylist and see if they are comfortable working with your hair length. Another good option would be a wig, lace front or otherwise they can look very natural, and you can sew them or clip them in for security!

good luck
osLOVER View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 5:35pm

IA NO GLUE!!

If you want a sew-in, most stylist who are good with weaves will be able to do a nice sew-in even if you have very, very short hair. They just add in synthethic hair to better secure the foundation. Good luck and I'm sure you don't look ugly!!!
Micarae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 6:11pm
You can get a weave if your hair is long enough to braid, but if your stylist has to braid too tight to make stable braids then that's going to cancel out the benefit of the protective style coz it's gonna pull your hair out. Maybe you should consider wigging it for a while until your hair is a bit longer. If you decide to weave speak up if/as soon as you feel your braider pulling too tight. Don't suffer in silence coz that can cost you a lot of hair.

Edited by Micarae - Jul 15 2010 at 6:12pm
mz.ant17 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 6:39pm
I always had thick long hair growing up. But I really didn't know how to take care of it and listened to a "friend" and I used glue..Cry...and the "friend" told me to just shampoo it out. Well in the shower the tracks got heavy and I got scared. I ended up pulling in most areas of my head. I cut it off, like in my bathroom and I am not a professional, and started getting braids to grow it out. Now my sister braids it...THANKS TO BHM THE LOVELY LADIES OF BHMHug...I sew on a net and WEAVE THAT THANG UP.                                                                                                                  But a half wigs pinned on the sides could be really cute.

Edited by mz.ant17 - Jul 15 2010 at 6:51pm
lovelove View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 6:40pm
Thank you ladies so much!Smile I really do appreciate all the input on the options out there.I think I will probably go with a half wig/quick weave until my hair grows a little longer so I can get a sew-in. 
MizzSharly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Micarae Micarae wrote:

You can get a weave if your hair is long enough to braid, but if your stylist has to braid too tight to make stable braids then that's going to cancel out the benefit of the protective style coz it's gonna pull your hair out. Maybe you should consider wigging it for a while until your hair is a bit longer. If you decide to weave speak up if/as soon as you feel your braider pulling too tight. Don't suffer in silence coz that can cost you a lot of hair.
trust me there that is the truth i went from healthy apl hair to damage spilts all the way up neck length hair 4 keeping a weave in 6 weeks! just because i sat there and tried to be brave while she rip out my hair, couldn't even sleep at night
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2010 at 3:09pm
Being that your hair is SUPER damaged and needed to be cut.  I would hold off on weaves.  Pamper and nuture your natural hair.  HOWEVER, if you must have a LONG weave then get your stylist (or someone) to make you a wig and have it cut and styled.  Then you can put it on and take it off as you please while caring for your natural hair.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic