Extensions Plus

Forum LockedCalling ppl who Airdry!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
BB_2007 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling ppl who Airdry!
    Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 10:01am

Can naturals who donít straighten their hair all the time (aka those who airdry), tell me all you know about shrinkage.. ev-erything lol.

If you didnít blowdry your hair (after you wash it), would it get straight or go back to its normal length?  Have you tried banding?  Do you just comb it out, or what? Make your replies as detailed as you like (aka v detailed) ! lol

Iím transitioning btw.. 23 weeks this Monday, but I eventually have to cut the relaxed ends off so Iím just curious :P

Sponsored Links

heavenly_haven View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 10:25am
I'm transitioning, although I''m not as far along as you are.  I know everyone's situation is different, the reason why I air dry is because I have a semi-bald spot in the front that I'm trying to grow. Heat for sure would damage it or worse break it off if it were applied to my hair. At the moment what has helped and aided in my air drying is banding. After I've deep conditioned my hair, I smooth my hair out with my cream sealer (alma olive oil heavy cream, and finger part and band. I spritz my hair with water as I go so when it drys it's not looking a hot mess. I'm speaking from the persective that my hair is semi-short. I don't know how long your hair is. I'm not styling my hair either, right now I'm wearing wigs, until I BC.

Are you styling your hair while transitioning, ie straw sets or protective styles like buns/braids.?

wonderstar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 10:47am
For my hair banding is a complete waste of time. All the effort I took putting those bands on my hair, my hair still shrunk up baddd. Seems like I needed to put weights on the ends lol. I put my hair in 3 tight braids/plaits to airdry. The end results are like a chunky braid out. I think I have some recent pictures on my laptop I will try and post when I go home later.
cmefroandbeyond View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 10:50am

O yeah, my hair loves to shrink.  I have been natural for close to 4 years and I can count the number of times I have blowdried on one hand and a finger on the other.

I tried banding but when i took the bands off my coils had tangled onto the bands. I lost more hair with that technique.

Now I just  style right away or let it air dry in moisturized fat braids.  I part my hair in sections, place moisturizer on it and then braid it up and let it come close to air drying. Then I style it, that way the style is somewhat stretched out...if I want a stretched style.
divalane25 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 11:13am
I don't attempt to stretch my hair at all...I airdry only the only heat i've put on my hair since the BC back in july is a conditioning cap and i've only done that recently and twice. My hair definately SHRINKS up bad but it doesn't bother me much. I don't plan to blow dry or press/flat-iron until I've hit 52weeks of being natural I bet when I do and see the length shrinkage will start to irritate me then lol
CenteredGirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 11:30am
Originally posted by wonderstar88 wonderstar88 wrote:

For my hair banding is a complete waste of time. All the effort I took putting those bands on my hair, my hair still shrunk up baddd. Seems like I needed to put weights on the ends lol. I put my hair in 3 tight braids/plaits to airdry. The end results are like a chunky braid out. I think I have some recent pictures on my laptop I will try and post when I go home later.

Now wouldn't that be a great invention!  Wonder, go and make you some money gurl.Tongue

I use a large pic to separate my hair while damp, then when almost dry, I have started to set in large rollers to airdry.  This seems to straighten out my hair (by no means bone straight) but from a manageability perspective it's awesome.  Takes time, but worth the wait.Tongue
Wittystyle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 12:10pm
what I do is mix shea butter and sunsilk hydra tlc creme together and I put it all over my head. I use rollers. I keep my hair in rollers the whole day and it comes out well, just like if you were under a hooded dryer. It gets very easy to style.
Only1biancab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 12:24pm
I agree with Wonderstar and Wittystyle.  I think both ways work out great.  I do like Wonderstar and dry my hair in twists or braids.  But I don't take mine apart after they dry.

Shrinkage isn't that bad.  It ends up protecting your hair from a lot of damage.  And the way our hair shrinks is what gives it, its beautiful shape.  We wouldn't have beautiful fros or curls without it.  As long as you don't let it shrink up into tangles, you're okay.
naturalgurl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 1:36pm
I airdry in braids and I wear my hair in a protective bun. The avatar pic of me is when I had blow dried it and flat ironed it thus bringing my hair about an inch past my shoulders. I don't care much at all to let it airdry loose...heII naw! Did that once and won't ever do that again. I just unbraid and do my bun or just pick it out a little and put on a headband, but never airdry loose. I have A LOT of hair and it can get pretty wild!
BB_2007 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 5:20pm
heavenly_haven -atm, Iím just putting my hair in a hairband, no slick nothing.  I wanna/need to put my hair in extensions/braids at some point cos I really canít comb it these days. Thank you for asking how long my hair is.. just stretched it out and its grown! lol not quite shoulder length ! More neck length at the back and ear-length at the frontJ
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic