Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

calling hip hop heads...ATCQ, Pharcyde?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

The samples/beats, imo, are the biggest reasons. Jazz influenced funky beats have a laid back vibe to them that is fun to chill and relax to. It's one of the only sub-genres of rap that works just as good as background music (for studying, kicking it, soundtracks, etc) as it does for active listening. Just like Jazz in a way.

You sort of grouped them all together as if they all make the exact same music so it's hard to respond generally. De La Soul was really, really satirical and ironic with their first two albums. People liked it because you got a lot of light hearted laughs through the albums with the skits, self depreciation, and humor. The same with the Pharcyde, more or less, though I think they touched on more grounded topics most of the time. The Tribe was more laid back than all of them which made them more commercially friendly than the others, imo. Q-Tip had a voice that wasn't exaggerated or cartoony which I think helped them sound more smooth than Pharcyde or De La Soul.

In general though, I'd say.

1. Eccentric and varied samples
2. Colorful personalities
3. Laid back vibe and minimalistic instruments/beats
4. Doesn't take itself so seriously, unlike more hardcore subgenres of rap
5. Topics that aren't generic.
6. Afrocentrism and poetry.

They like it because it makes them feel good, as music should.

My personal fav is Digable Planets. Butterfly has such a fun mind to listen to.

sometimes we like too much of the same hip hop sh*t

I absolutely love DP

but i also love ATCQ .. qtip killed the rodcution on their first body of work,

lowend theory ... midnight marauders .. man look

I recommend everyone interested to watch Beats Rhymes and Life, the michael rappaport documentary on ATCQ

love it!!

Edited by afrokock - Sep 14 2013 at 2:46am
Sponsored Links

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 2:46am
phife was underrated as an mc
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 3:02am

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 5:49am

Chica215 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Chica215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 8:00am
I've had the pleasure of working and performing with Doodlebug of Digable Planets (Butterfly is as fine as ever!) and met a lot of the 90's rappers through him, and I must say, it's still my absolute favorite genre. The vibe was funky, yet chill, and Hip Hop wasn't trying too hard back then. The machine is solely about churning out hits and making quick profits off singles today, whereas back then, Whole Hip Hop albums told more of a story. There generally was a theme, while having clever lyricism over jazzy, funkier samples was integral. Best era imo.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 8:08am
lady bug? ^^^
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 8:13am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

lowend theory ..

I recommend everyone interested to watch Beats Rhymes and Life, the michael rappaport documentary on ATCQ

classic album.  that doc was dope too.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 8:19am
my personal fav off that album...quite a few thangs were done to this here...Embarrassed

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 8:24am
find away wasnt on low end theory though

it was on their love movement album

i still love that track

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 8:26am
ahhh yes.  you are right!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style