Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedBunning for growth? (Lots of questions inside)

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
NataleeC View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bunning for growth? (Lots of questions inside)
    Posted: May 06 2012 at 4:52am
I'm sort of on the verge of deciding whether to stick with weaves as my protective style, or begin bunning.
For one, I am concerned about the welfare of my edges. They are slowly returning from about a year of damage from weaves, and I'm trying hard not to destroy them any further.
Also, I am concerned about the amount of breakage bunning will give me. With weaves, I retain almost 100% of what I grow, unless I so choose to cut it off, or it breaks off after I take the weave down and begin to "take care" of it. Point is, if I'm in a weave and I grow 2 inches, immediately after I take it down, the 2 inches will show.

If you recommend one or the other, please explain why.
What are the pros and cons?
How can I keep manipulation down to a minimum (if buns are chosen.)
How long can I wear a bun?
What are some good bun tutorials?
Can I alternate my weaves with buns?
Is moisture/protein balance affected by them?
How often should I wash?
Clarify?
Co wash?
How will I know what my hair is trying to tell me?
Do you have any examples of someone who used buns to graduate from different lengths?
What other PS can I alternate/combine them with to make my styles longer lasting and less manipulative?
What other PS's are available? (Except for braids and mini twists).
What are the benefits and cons of those?
Have you tried any of those mentioned?
Did they work for you?
Would you return to them?
Why or why not?
Finally, what else do you have to say? (Tell stories, tips, anything, really. Facts, myths, links to videos, etc.)
**Mind you, my ends are still relaxed, but the next 12in of roots are a different story, lol.
Sponsored Links

luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by NataleeC NataleeC wrote:

If you recommend one or the other, please explain why.
I'm a longterm lover of buns for ps. I've never worn a weave do I have no info on that.
What are the pros and cons?
Bunning(be it wet or dry) got me over the APL-BSB hump. Initially, I found them to boring. But, with my glasses, it only enhances my nerdiness(which I proudly am). I know find buns to be sexy and elegant, especially when I take it down after its been in for awhile. I look like Simba from the Lion KingLOL

I haven't experienced this con but I have heard of others who have experienced breakage. You can combat this by re-positioning the bun. Also I use rubberbandsShockedto secure my buns. The trick is to dip the band in oil, which alleviates the pulling out of the hair. I tried ouchless bands, but they don't give me enough elasticity or hold that I prefer. Another con I have heard about, but not experienced is thinning edges. I have naturally thin edges and no matter what that's how they are gonna be. You can slick ya edges down w/o brushing. I do brush my edges when I want a tres sleek look, but I can achieve the same with water and grease and scarfing.

How can I keep manipulation down to a minimum (if buns are chosen.)I usually keep my buns in for at least 3 days sometimes an entire week. But, if I don't take it down on day three, I can experience severe tangling, so Day 3 is my detangle day and then I rebun.

How long can I wear a bun? See above

What are some good bun tutorials? Youtube has good ones for the more intricate ones. When I first started bunning, all I did was make a ponytail, plait it and pin it under. Now, I can twirl my hair and secure with a rubberband and be out!

Can I alternate my weaves with buns? Sure, I don't see why not.
Is moisture/protein balance affected by them? I haven't had any issues with keeping both in check by bunning. 
How often should I wash? I cowash more in the warmer months and tend to wet bun more than too. If I have used grease alot to seal in the moisture and it feels icky, I clarify with Svauve Daily Clarifying, which is usually 1x a month or as needed
Clarify? See above 
Co wash? See above
How will I know what my hair is trying to tell me? When Cleo is tired of bunning, she will literally not go in a bun- no matter how much I fuss at her. That's when I know I need to wear her loose for a minute- like a week and then its all bun lua againLOL
Do you have any examples of someone who used buns to graduate from different lengths? Ummm... just meLOL No, if you check out Summer Bun Challenge of 2010 by Krisvola. You will find alot of naturals (myself included ) that had GREAT growth and retention.
What other PS can I alternate/combine them with to make my styles longer lasting and less manipulative? You can do braidouts, twistouts, or plaitouts(I can't twist or braid to save my life. I do these, which look like twistouts on my hair) or puffs(especially when ya hair won't cooperate for a bun).
What other PS's are available? (Except for braids and mini twists). I'm style challenged, so I stick with what I know. There are rollersets, ponytail rollersets, caruso curlers,etc.
What are the benefits and cons of those?
When I was relaxed, I stayed with rollersets and my hair was very healthy and grew very long. I tried a ponytail rollerset as a  natural and it was an EPIC fail.

Have you tried any of those mentioned?
see above

Did they work for you?
see above

Would you return to them?
Sure, but only if my stylist did it because my arms to short to box with Cleo. She makes my arms tiredLOL
Why or why not?
see above

Finally, what else do you have to say? (Tell stories, tips, anything, really. Facts, myths, links to videos, etc.)
I really LUV buns for ME. They have helped me get over many a hair hurdle. They are easy to do and they look elegant. I luv the surprise factor when I take it down and get it straightened! I luv the fact that the longer I keep it in I can literally brush my hair straight and have my Simba or Chaka Khan thang going!

HTH!!

NataleeC View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 2:33pm
Thank you!!^^

I tried bunning for the last four days and surprisingly, I sorta like it.
However, my ends don't seem to. I bobby pin them, but whenever I unravel to moisturize and seal, I find that, not SSK's, but shed hair that has looped itself around my ends have formed.
How do I avoid this? If anything and I can't take out the shed hair, I'd rather them not loop so tightly and make it so I have to cut them out. How can I keep my ends protected?
:(
NataleeC View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 2:39pm
And also, my bun sort of keeps my curl pattern. O.o
Whenever I take it down, the hair is the middle mostly is just a dry version of its wet self. The hair is curled, but detangled, if that makes sense. O.o

How can I stop this?
My braids and twists (for stretching) don't work well because my ends are still straight and they unravel easily. Do I need to rubberband my ends or something?
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 4:48pm
Nat, are you twirling your hair around to make your bun? If you are, then instead of twisty twirly the hair, gather your hair into a ponytail,.plait the hair all the way down, seal the ends and pin it under.

Since you still have some relaxed endangered, you may need to use a curler on the ends. You could also wet the end, put some grease- a nice dime size and take ya fingers and twirl the ends.Hth!
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 4:53pm
Sorry damn autocorrect- not endangered - relaxed ends
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 5:14am

Thank you!!^^

However, my ends don't seem to. I bobby pin them, but whenever I unravel to moisturize and seal, I find that, not SSK's, but shed hair that has looped itself around my ends have formed.
How do I avoid this? If anything and I can't take out the shed hair, I'd rather them not loop so tightly and make it so I have to cut them out. How can I keep my ends protected?

I'm glad u kindaof liked bunning- LOL! @ the shedded hair issue- how long was your bun in? When I keep my bun in for more than three days, my CLEO does that too. I gently finger detangle with olive oil and then follow up with my wide toothed comb and get that shed hair out.

I have also noticed that when I take it down on day three to detangle and moisturize, I DI NOT heavily moisturizer the LENGTH of my hair. I focus more on the lower portion and ends, seal and bun. This method ha cut that down a lot.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 5:19am

Thank you!!^^

I'm glad u kindaof liked bunning- LOL! @ the shedded hair issue- how long was your bun in? When I keep my bun in for more than three days, my CLEO does that too. I gently finger detangle with olive oil and then follow up with my wide toothed comb and get that shed hair out.

I have also noticed that when I take it down on day three to detangle and moisturize, I DI NOT heavily moisturizer the LENGTH of my hair. I focus more on the lower portion and ends, seal and bun. This method ha cut that down a lot.
Queensheba View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 11:04pm
is there a wrongway to bun?  so for it to be considerd a protective styke means u bun and dont take it down?? iI am so confused iI bun by taking my hair putting it in a bun and taking my loose ends and tucking them into the center qith a bobby pin is this an ok way? im new to bunning and want to know if there is a certin wAY IT IS done to retain length
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Queensheba Queensheba wrote:

is there a wrongway to bun?  so for it to be considerd a protective styke means u bun and dont take it down?? iI am so confused iI bun by taking my hair putting it in a bun and taking my loose ends and tucking them into the center qith a bobby pin is this an ok way? im new to bunning and want to know if there is a certin wAY IT IS done to retain length

Its really no wrong way to bun. But, there are preventive steps you may need to take so you won't experience breakage. For example, you should change up the position of your bun(e.g. side bun, ballerina or top knot bun). Use ties that wont catch your hair. I use rubberbands dipped in olive oil. Others use ouchless bands or pantyhose.

When I first started binning, I just made a ponytail, plaited it and secured with Bobby pins. Now, I twirl my hair and secure with a band. I usually take my hair down after the third day because I will experience severe tangles and a BEAST of a detangling session. A bun is protective when your ends are not being exposed to the elements. So, I think you should try and see how you like it!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic