FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buddhist student: convert or switch schools

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buddhist student: convert or switch schools
    Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 2:52pm

Buddhist Student Wins Settlement With Louisiana School District That Called His Religion ‘Stupid’

By Nicole Flatow on March 19, 2014 at 9:52 am

Back Story

A Buddhist student and his family won a settlement last week against a Louisiana school district where the student’s religion was ridiculed in class as “stupid,” the teacher taught that evolution is “impossible,” and that the bible is “100 percent true.”

The court-approved consent decree prohibits future religious discrimination in a school district that had portraits of Jesus Christ in the halls and a “lighted, electronic marquee” outside one school that scrolls Bible verses. “Religious liberty, as embodied by the Free Exercise Clause and the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, and free speech are hallowed constitutional rights to which all are entitled,” the consent decree states.

Parents Scott and Sharon Lane alleged in their lawsuit that their attempts to report religious harassment were dismissed with comments that “this is the Bible Belt,” and that their son, referred to as “C.C.,” could either change his faith or transfer to another school where “there were more Asians.”

C.C.’s parents did transfer him to another school to curb his daily physical nausea and anxiety, even though it is a 30-minute drive from their home. But the school is in the same Sabine Parish district, and also promotes religious beliefs. The District posts a belief statement on its website that says, “We believe that: God exists.”

As part of the settlement, the school agreed to a permanent injunction on school-endorsed prayer during school events, promotion of religion, and “denigration of religion.” School staff will be required to participate in trainings with an attorney on the legal obligations of the settlement.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/03/19/3416146/bhuddhist-student-wins-settlement-with-louisiana-school-district-that-called-his-religion-stupid/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yftlu3qX2dw

Sponsored Links

AshBash89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 2:56pm
I'm glad they won. I'm a Christian but being in the "Bible Belt" is so different than the north. I was blessed to go to a large school where no one gaf about what another believed in.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 3:01pm
wow
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 3:09pm
Read the title of thread, seen who the OP was. Already knew this would be about the Asinine things Christians do.LOL

I bet the school officials don't even know the basic information about Buddhism once I heard that Buddhist religion didn't support Homosexuality but I don't know any true Buddhist who can back that up.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 3:21pm
I foresee hypocrisy...
juniper angel View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote juniper angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 5:01pm
Why go to a christian school if your buddhist
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

i wonder
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

i wonder

its not a christian school.  its a public school.  he was going to the school assigned to his district.
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 5:11pm
Did I miss something? I thought it was a public school and not a Private Christian school. It is just that the majority of individuals are Christian, not that the school itself is religious. For many freedom of religion only means the freedom to exercise their religion. They don't give a rat's butt about respecting the religious beliefs of someone with different views than their own.
juniper angel View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniper angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 5:18pm
Idk I thought it was a religous school because what school would have something that spells bibal verses at the entrance of the school. Also I doubt hes the only non christian there if its a public school
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic