BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Bridge Collapses in Washington State

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 12:35am
^Great! Do you know if they have the truck driver in custody yet or did he just keep driving after hitting the bridge?

I-5 bridge collapses over Skagit River, no fatalities

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. -- An Interstate 5 bridge over a river north of Seattle collapsed Thursday evening, dumping vehicles and people into the water, the Washington State Patrol said.

The four-lane bridge over the Skagit River collapsed about 7 p.m., Trooper Mark Francis said. There was no confirmation how many people were in the water, but Skagit County Sheriff's Department said three people have been rescued from the water and were being transported to hospitals. Two were transported to Skagit Valley Hospital and were reportedly in stable condition.

State authorities say there were no fatalities.

PHOTOS: Photos of I-5 bridge collapse over Skagit River

While the cause of the collapse is still unknown, witnesses reported seeing a semitruck with an oversized load crossing the bridge and striking the beams on the north end before the bridge collapsed.

"I saw it. I was less than 50 feet away from the truck when it hit it," witness Dale Ogden told KING 5. "I had just passed it in the fast lane southbound and it had an oversized load. It was approximately 12 feet wide and over 14 feet tall. It was in the slow lane when I came by...I was behind the flag car and in front of the truck in the other lane and I saw the whip - normally tells you how high they can clear - start hitting the bridge. I looked in my rearview mirror knowing this was not going to turn out well."

"I saw the truck strike the right corner of the bridge. It almost tipped the truck over but it came back down. It tipped it up to about a 30 degree angle to the left and it came back down on its wheels and almost instantaneously behind that I saw girders falling in my rearview mirror."

Washington Department of Transportation officials were investigating reports that the truck had struck the bridge.

Xavier Grospe, 62, who lives near the river, said he could see three cars with what appeared to be one person per vehicle. The vehicles were sitting still in the water, partially submerged and partly above the waterline, and the apparent drivers were sitting either on top of the vehicles or on the edge of open windows.

Helicopter footage showed several rescue boats at the bridge collapse scene with several ambulances waiting on the shore. One rescue boat left the scene with one person strapped into a stretcher.

A damaged red car and a damaged pickup truck were visible in the water, which appeared so shallow it barely reached the top of the car's hood.

Crowds of people lined the river to watch the scene unfold.

The bridge is not considered structurally deficient but is listed as being "functionally obsolete" - a category meaning that their design is outdated, such as having narrow shoulders are low clearance underneath, according to a database compiled by the Federal Highway Administration.

The bridge was built in 1955 and has a sufficiency rating of 57.4 out of 100, according to federal records. That is well below the statewide average rating of 80, according to an Associated Press analysis of federal data, but 759 bridges in the state have a lower sufficiency score.
AngryOuchSleepy

According to a 2012 Skagit County Public Works Department, 42 of the county's 108 bridges that are 50 years or older. The document says eight of the bridges are more than 70 years old and two are over 80.

Washington state was given a C in the American Society of Civil Engineers' 2013 infrastructure report card and a C- when it came to the state's bridges. The group said more than a quarter of Washington's 7,840 bridges are considered structurally deficient of functionally obsolete.

The collapse has halted traffic in both direction on I-5, and southbound traffic was reportedly backed up as far as the Canadian border at Blaine. In Mount Vernon, southbound traffic was being diverted to SR 20 while northbound traffic was being diverted to the East College Way Exit. Drivers are advised to avoid the area altogether.

Edited by carolina cutie - May 24 2013 at 12:37am
Sponsored Links

ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 12:38am
Haven't heard about the truck or driver yet.  Just praying that there aren't more victims.  
Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 1:16am
Thank goodness no one was killed but I remember years ago on 60 Minutes there was a report on the lack of checks on bridges, overpasses and tunnels. Many go years even decades without inspection.

Edited by Prazol60 - May 24 2013 at 1:16am
Miss SDY View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Miss SDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 1:34am
D, I am glad you and your family are ok!! That is crazy! Im glad no one died or was badly injured!
laceyfront View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laceyfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

Thank goodness no one was killed but I remember years ago on 60 Minutes there was a report on the lack of checks on bridges, overpasses and tunnels. Many go years even decades without inspection.
I remember that. This doesn't make any since, thats why I don't like riding over bridges as it is.
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:07am
Welp if the government wants to give out jobs or put ppl in jail to use. Start rebuilding those bridges and roads
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:43am
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

I am so sick you guys.  I crossed 10 minutes before.  My husband works at the same hospital and is helping with the crisis.  I am with my kids and just sick.  So far all family is okay.  Waiting for some coworkers to get back to me.  I feel so helpless!!  I wish I was at work taking care of the incoming.  

Praying for everyone at Skagit Valley Hospital and all involved.  Praying my husband makes it home safely.

Gosh, I'm so sorry...

You and your family are in my prayers...
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:44am
Sufficiency rating of 57/100?

Why was it even in use?
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 8:54am
There are so many poorly rated bridges out here.  They are probably everywhere.  http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/6A570363-EC34-4010-986E-591A89CEA6FB/0/SD_AUG2010v2.pdf
Miss SDY View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss SDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 9:08am
The fact that some of these bridges are going decades without inspection is unsettling. That bridge looked old and with it being only 57/100 why is it not rebuilt by now and brought up to code?? Why are the people in charge of inspecting bridges sleeping on this? And im quite sure there are other cities out here in the US sleeping on their jobs as well. I have a feeling if that water was deeper that this wouldnt ended as well as it did..
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>