BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Motherhood
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBreast Feeding Moms.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Hair ViVi

Author
misscheeca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breast Feeding Moms.......
    Posted: Feb 03 2009 at 9:28am
Are there any tips you can share? For those that attempted but stopped was it due to your schedule, baby not latching or 'other'?

Sponsored Links

NEWMRS216 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2009 at 10:27am
 wht kind of problems are you having?  i am a breastfeeding mom although at this point it's just supplemental to her formula nad baby food.. I nursed exclusively for three months, and it is very draining.. between nursing and pumping i was a walking talking cow..but it's so worth it..

if i had to give a tip, i'd say stick with it.. it hurts like the sausageens at first but eventully it gets to the point where you don't even feel it.. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2009 at 11:26am
no problems...baby is still in my womb. Just wanted to start a thread of tips for those of us who want to breast feed.

Was the soreness due to latching issues or just from the action of sucking?
Godslady View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2009 at 5:22pm
Be patient and I agree with Newmrs-stick it out.

I breastfed 3 of of my 4 kids and it's a wonderful experience.I have a 5 and a half month old now that is nursed.

I got bad engorgement with all 4 of my kids and while nursing it can be very painful but it goes away after about 4 days.

Good latching early on will help with breastfeeding success.Take advantage of your hospital's lactation consultants.

Get a good support system.

Drink plenty of fluids and make sure you are eating to keep your milk and energy levels up

Don't give up!! If you need help call La Leche or another breastfeeding support group, they are there to help and support.

Get a good breast pump if you want to be able to leave your baby at times.I recommend the Madela Pump N Style.It's pricey but worth every dime! 

Breastfeeding is so special and it gives you and baby a wonderful bond.It is natures way of helping you to get back on track: helps you lose a ton of weight,produces endorphin's (happy hormones) creates a bond and best of all it's milk designed just for your baby!!

Best wishes to you!
NEWMRS216 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2009 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by misscheeca misscheeca wrote:

no problems...baby is still in my womb. Just wanted to start a thread of tips for those of us who want to breast feed.

Was the soreness due to latching issues or just from the action of sucking?

oh okay!! I'd say the soreness is due to the new action and use of your breasts.. it takes time for them to toughen up and get use to what they are being used for.. i didn't have latching issues, although some moms do..

i'd also give this piece of advice. if you are committed to breastfeeding, start letting people know NOW... you dont' have to be obsessive about it, but bf'ing does require support.. it's hard work, it's tiring, and it requires a lot of your time. and it's harder when folks around you are constantly saying.. 'just give her a bottle'.. or... 'no one else can feed her if you're bf'ing'.. or making other insensitive comments.. post partum you are tired, hormonal, and got a lot going on.. the last thing you need to contend with is someone telling you you can just supplement, or the baby is hungry and needs some formula...

Your defenses are down after giving birth,  which makes it a more stressful argument and fight to win.. so win it NOW.. let your family know you are committeed to nursing your baby, you are not supplementing with formula, you are not goign to argue with folks, you will be providing milk to your baby the way you are comfortable with it, and they need to support you or get out of your face..

my family was pretty much supportive this time around, but with my first, i was in the hospital and as i was telling the nurse no formula i wanted to nurse exclusively, my mom and aunts were in the hallway telling her give the baby a bottle.. Confused  i was pissed.. 

even this time, although hubby tried to understand he gave me a couple of slant looks cause  i was "always nursing the baby'.. and he didn't understand why i just didn't pump..

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 12:36pm
Wooooooow.... thanks ladies your information was informative. I really like the tips.

Godslady your last paragraph sums up why I want to breastfeed.

NewMrs...I like the proactive advice. Most fam / friends are already for breastfeeding but I'm sure when I'm still breastfeed after a certain # of months that they think is too much the battle will begin.

I have already put it out there that my goal is to breastfeed for up to a year. Of course meaning bottle fed breast milk and a nipple here or there. But after a year I don't see it. I came to this conclusion because of the research I have done as to when we should introduce milk/meats etc to our children.

Thanks again for the helpful tips ladies!
Infynit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 3:49pm
I agree with what the ladies said above.

If you do have problems latching, try different postions.  I bf'd for 6 months and my daughter had a preferred angle she liked to lay in... I had to cradle hold on my right side, and football hold on the left, just so she would be comfortable and latch properly.  I also liked the side lying position at 3:00am...

Invest in a good breastpump.  The medela P-I-S is a good choice if you are going to be a working mom.  You should also practice manual compressions.  (had to do this once when I forgot my pump motor)

In the beginning it will hurt, and it will seem like you all you are doing is bf'ing.  You will need a good support system.  For our first month, my daughter nursed every hour for 30 minutes.  My MIL suggested that I give her a bottle b/c she "obviously" wasnt getting enough milk.  She told my SIL the same thing about her son and she believed her.  What she failed to realize is that my baby was boosting her food supply by increasing her demand. 

Needless to say, my daughter was give breastmilk only for the first 6 months of her life and the only reason I stopped was b/c i got deployed.  My SIL on the other hand had to constantly supplement formula for her child.

I nursed when my daughter was with me, and expressed milk at work twice a day.  I brought home between 30-40oz. of milk everyday.

Good luck, congrats, and continue to ask questions.  Most of all, don't give up!
Tink View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 5:05pm
Great info ladies!

My questions:

1. I'm not going back to work so do I still need to invest in an electric pump or will a manual pump suffice? I want my hubby to be able to feed her too.

2. Do you breastfeed if you're sick with a cold or do you store breastmilk incase you get sick???
Infynit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 8:43pm

Tink, from my understanding bf'ing is kinda like an immunization.  The antibodies that fight off your cold are being passed to your child.  If it's the common cold, they may get the sniffles, but its nothing to worry about.

As far as pumps, I honestly cant say.  I have a Medela that cost $318, but it has paid for itself in the past 2 years since I am a working mom.  If you are always going to be with your child, you may not want to invest that type of money.  IDK... maybe one of the other ladies can chime in on that...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2009 at 1:58pm
30 to 40 oz a day....wow!!! You are a super producer hahahah. Thanks for your tips.
Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic