Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedBreaking with Braids?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
flwonline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking with Braids?
    Posted: Sep 19 2012 at 2:15pm
I'm braided. Cornrowed.
My hair growth is great. Still at about an inch or so a month. Here's the problem...

The breakage is coming from the ends of my braids. I suspected it, but then today I noticed little chips of hair on my fingers when I touched my braided ends. I use JBCO, and Care Free Curl activator to keep my ends hydrated.

HELP!
Sponsored Links

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2012 at 3:38pm
How are you moisturizing your hair when braided up?  Do you apply a hair moisturizer with an applicator bottle and massage the excess? 
flwonline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2012 at 4:29pm
Yes.
wanderlust87 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2012 at 9:48pm
Have you had protein treatment lately??
flwonline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2012 at 7:52am
The length of my hair is not breaking. No strands during wash days, and no breakage at any other point than the ends. Never had these problems before, so I'm really concerned.

For moisture, I use Care Free Curl activator, and Avocado Mist. Where my braids hang, I use raw white shea butter down each braid to keep them protected. 

I do protein treatments every wash - I use either Silicon Mix with Olive Oil or Aphoghee. When conditioning, I use a heating cap for about 30-45 mins, then rinse with cool water. I use Cowboy Magic to detangle, then air dry half way and blow dry.

At night, I baggy with MTG tied up with a scarf. 
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2012 at 3:26pm
You should use the Aphogee 2 step treatment to add strength back to your hair strands. This treatment has enough Keratin in it to make a difference. If does not matter if your roots are not breaking because eventually your hair will break down to the root. Your new hair has more protein bonds so naturally it will be stronger, because it has not been manipulated by hair tools or chemicals just yet. Stop with the weekly protein treatments, and opt for the 2 step use it every 5 weeks. And of course add moisture back to your hair. Also cut off at least 2-3 inches of the weak ends. If you do not do 3 inches bring yourself to do at least one inch. While you use the 2 step stop with all your other products that have high amounts of protein in them. You will see a big difference with these changes.

Dr. Miracles has a good leave in conditioner, it comes in packets for less than 2 dollars a treatment.
Instead of baggying with the MTG replace it with a more beneficial oil such as Grapeseed, evoo or co.

Edited by Veemack - Sep 23 2012 at 3:30pm
flwonline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2012 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

You should use the Aphogee 2 step treatment to add strength back to your hair strands. This treatment has enough Keratin in it to make a difference. If does not matter if your roots are not breaking because eventually your hair will break down to the root. Your new hair has more protein bonds so naturally it will be stronger, because it has not been manipulated by hair tools or chemicals just yet. Stop with the weekly protein treatments, and opt for the 2 step use it every 5 weeks. And of course add moisture back to your hair. Also cut off at least 2-3 inches of the weak ends. If you do not do 3 inches bring yourself to do at least one inch. While you use the 2 step stop with all your other products that have high amounts of protein in them. You will see a big difference with these changes.

Dr. Miracles has a good leave in conditioner, it comes in packets for less than 2 dollars a treatment.
Instead of baggying with the MTG replace it with a more beneficial oil such as Grapeseed, evoo or co.

Good idea, and I have the Aphoghee right here. Will do at next wash. 
I took your advice and chopped off some of the deads after I took my braids out today. Looking forward to new progress. I also think I found the culprit of my jaggedness! Dang wig caps that I wear under my wigs. Not doing that anymore. From now on, I'm going to baggy then do the wig cap over top so the cap isn't directly on my hair. 

I'm on a retention binge from now on!

Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2012 at 8:06pm
Oh so the wig cap is rubbing against your ends?
Do you wear them everyday?
Could you put a silk scarf under your wig cap?
flwonline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2012 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

Oh so the wig cap is rubbing against your ends?
Do you wear them everyday?
Could you put a silk scarf under your wig cap?

Yep, That was the only difference in previous retention methods. 
I took the braids out, cut the raggedy ends off and now I'm back on track. 
I wouldn't do a silk scarf under the cap, but I'm wearing it to bed from now on. 
Malexandre View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2012 at 9:06pm
How is your braiding pattern? Can you do a circle so you only have one braid out ?
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic