Hello all! I am in DESPERATE need of some hair help. I used to have pretty healthy hair, but around 4 years ago, it started taking a turn for the worse. It started to get back on track after I began alternating between moisturizing treatments and protein treatments, but it was hard to keep that up after I went to college. NOW IT'S A MESS.
My hair in the middle back of my head keeps breaking off and I have no idea why. As a result, I have had to get a sort of a-line haircut. The back is pretty short (nape of my neck) and the front is probably collarbone length (maybe a little shorter). I want all my hair to be the SAME LENGTH but I can't get myself to cut the front.
I got the hair cut because I thought that maybe I could start over and try and re-grow the back, but it just KEEPS BREAKING and won't get any longer. Here is why I'm so confused:
1) I moisturize and seal daily. I use Palmer's olive oil moisturizing lotion and I checked the ingredients. The first ingredient is water and the second is shea butter so I'm not sure why this isn't helping my dry hair.
1.5) I sleep on a satin pillowcase and cross wrap my hair at night.
2) I recently started sealing with jojoba oil and I'm really liking it because it's super lightweight. (But my hair is still breaking)
3) I work out 4 days a week and so at first, my hairdresser and I thought that maybe the sweat was damaging my hair and making it super dry because I wear my hair in a bun when I work out so maybe the sweat was getting trapped on the back of my hair.
I started wetting the back (and since it's short, the back gets drenched with sweat
) with water and my scalp and ends with water just to get the sweat off. Then I'll either just let it dry or pin my hair up (which I thought was a protective style) and then before I go to bed, I'll moisturize and seal.
4) I'm taking fish oil vitamins and women's care vitamins (which is supposed to help hair and skin) and I'll take biotin once a week.
5) I wash my hair once a week with Moisturizing Ovation Cell Therapy shampoo. Sometimes, I'll leave some hot olive oil on my hair for a couple of hours before rinsing it out. After I rinse it out, I'll put a mixture of my hair moisturizer, Wen fig conditioner, and jojoba oil on my hair and let it air dry.
6) I only straighten my hair once a week on a low setting but all summer, I have not straightened my hair!!
7) I get a relaxer every 8-10 weeks.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong!! My hair will NOT stay moisturized and especially in the back it feels crunchy and dry and brittle. It will literally break to the touch. The front is breaking a little bit more than usual, too. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. At this point, I don't even have a length goal I JUST WANT TO GROW THE BACK OUT AND HAVE HEALTHY HAIR.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Thanks in advance (: