Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Breaking News Shooting At Elementary School

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 119120121122123 164>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sexibeach View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:02am
Who said purpose about that Principle? They were correct, her heart was in the right place by installing that system to protect the kids... at least she knew to trip that PA system.. but you'd never think it would be the child of a teacher who would get by that system.. this is so sad, its overwhelming.. its a damn shame you have to suit up the schools like you're in a combat zone, schools shouldn't be a unsafe place for kids.. its just so horrible to think that it is, when all kids need an education..they were talking about how many clips he got off, and that he had plenty of time to reload b/c 5 and 6 y/o's can jump you when you have that down time to reload like a grown person would.. 
Sponsored Links

Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:03am

How to talk to your kids about Conn. mass shooting

Talking to children: After watching TV reports of the school shooting in Connecticut, Alicia Combo tightly hugs her son Morgan Askins at the close of school Friday in Spokane, Wash. IMAGE
Experts say it's important to talk to children, as even the youngest will likely hear about the shootings.

The killings at a Connecticut elementary school left parents struggling to figure out what, if anything, to tell their children.

President Obama said he and his wife, Michelle, would tell their daughters that they love them and hug them a little tighter. Experts say that's a good example to follow. Parents also should allow children to talk about their feelings in the coming days while sheltering them from the 24/7 media coverage of the event, they say.

A man gunned down more than two dozen people Friday, most of them kids at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school. The shooter was among the 28 people left dead, apparently from a self-inflicted wound.

Whitney Finucane wasn't sure how and when she would talk with her son, Nico, about the shooting. She kissed and hugged him when he came out from kindergarten Friday at Dr. Martin Luther King Elementary in Providence, R.I.

"I don't know how to explain insanity and evil to a 5-year-old," she said. "I don't know that he can really grasp it."

Even the youngest schoolchildren are likely to hear about it, said Glenn Saxe, chairman of the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at NYU Langone Medical Center.

"It's really important, especially at this time, for parents to check in with their kids, to be attuned to how they're feeling, how they're doing and to answer questions honestly and straightforwardly," he said. "For any other kid in school, this has meaning. Parents need to understand that even in surprising ways, this can affect their kids."

RELATED: Tips for talking to kids about scary news

Parents can start by asking their children what they've already heard and what questions they have, said David Schonfeld, a pediatrician and director of the National Center for School Crisis and Bereavement at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. If they ask why someone would do something like this, it's OK to say you don't know.

"I wouldn't provide false reassurance or dismiss legitimate concerns," he said. "We don't help children by telling them they shouldn't be afraid of things that are frightening."

Parents can tell their kids, "What is most important is that you're safe and you're going to be safe," said Dr. Louis Kraus, chief of child and adolescent psychiatry at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.

Above all, parents need to try to help their children feel safe, he said. Helping kids return to or maintain normal routines can help minimize their anxiety, Kraus said.

Some children may ask the same questions over and over as a way to seek reassurance, and parents shouldn't dismiss them, said Dr. David Fassler, a child and adolescent psychiatrist in Burlington, Vt.

"Acknowledge and validate the child's thoughts, feelings and reactions. Let them know that you think their questions and concerns are important and appropriate," he said.

Parents of young children should keep their kids from hearing reports on TV, radio and social media and closely monitor exposure to media for all children, several experts said. Children who show persistent signs of anxiety and stress, including recurring nightmares or sleep problems and fears about leaving home, should see their pediatrician or a mental health expert, Kraus said.

While parents might feel the need to teach their children what do in such an emergency, the next few days is not the time to develop or bring up your family's disaster preparedness or to teach your young children to dial 911, Saxe said.

"Right now, kids' sense of safety and security is shattered," Saxe said. "It's very good parenting practice, in general, to have a kid know what to do in times of emergency, but it undermines the immediate message that you're trying to convey."

Schonfeld said if children bring it up themselves, you can talk about what's being done to keep them safe.

As students head back to their classrooms Monday, parents and children should know that school shootings are rare and schools still are among the safest places, said William Lassiter of the Center for the Prevention of School Violence. Parents can ask their principal or parent-teacher group for a copy of their school crisis plan.

Notice whether schools stick to their own security plans, he said. Do people have to check in at the door and sign in at the front office, for example?

"A lot of times, the parents are the ones who need to remind the school," he said.

Schools should have an emergency plan that is available to parents that explains what the school will do in various emergencies, such as a fire, hazardous materials spill, lockdown or evacuation. It should also say how the school will communicate with the parents: for example on its Twitter feed, Facebook page, website, or by email or automated phone call, said Kitty Porterfield, a spokeswoman for the American Association of School Administrators.

From the moment a child starts school, they are learning safety procedures such as lining up and following the teacher, she said. School districts in most major metropolitan areas also hold drills in which teachers and administrators practice what to do in a shooting or similar emergency. Most don't involve children so that they aren't upset, but some do, she said.

It's natural for parents at a time like this to want to react to Friday's shooting with action, Schonfeld said, but giving a young child a cellphone or keeping them out of school probably will not help.

"I know we really want to do everything we can to keep our kids safe," he said. "You could put GPS tracking on them, bullet-proof vests. There's a limit to what you can do."

K_Camille View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:13am
That photo of the little girl..I can only imagine how her father must be feeling. Broken Heart

I feel for the brother as well.  I know this will have an ill effect on him, by relation and also the looks he may receive for being so closely related to the killer.  It's all-around horrible. 
nala52808 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote nala52808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:16am
I don't mean to be depressing, but I remember my psychology teacher discussing why there have been so many mass killings in the past five years. When people here about a person shooting up a college, many will be sad, but for others, it will break down that taboo of killing a crowd of innocent people. It will open new doors for sick minds when they know someone did the same thing already. My professor has witnessed this in many places he's worked at, and also with suicide cases. The reason I bring this up is because I hope this Adam Lanza guy hasn't opened new doors in attacking our children.
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:18am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

Police believe Lanza fatally shot his mother in the face

geeeezus!!!!!!!!!!!!
CryCry
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:38am
To all the parents & future parents itt, what is the youngest you'll allow ur child to have a cell phone? 

I ask this cuz some parents yesterday didn't know if their kid was at the school, hospital, police station or fire station.   Those countless minutes where you don't know where your baby is will be the longest most agonozing minutes of your life
Harmonii View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:39am
Just spoke with my mother and she heard that Adam's mom was only a volunteer at the school, so did she actually work there?
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:41am
Tragedy: Jesse Lewis, six, pictured with his father Neil Heslin, was killed in the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School
sexibeach View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Harmonii Harmonii wrote:

Just spoke with my mother and she heard that Adam's mom was only a volunteer at the school, so did she actually work there?

they said she was a teacher and those kids in the Kindergarten class was her class.. 
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:46am
I am enraged. Almost cried about this last night. My hubby and I were talking about moving out of the continent but then heard a similar incident happened in China. Lord.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 119120121122123 164>
  Share Topic