Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Breaking News . Black folk held captive for 10 yrs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Breaking News . Black folk held captive for 10 yrs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2013 at 1:27am
UPDATE ....Cry

Charges filed in Houston garage-turned-prison case

By Joshua Rubin and Ed Lavandera, CNN
updated 1:12 AM EDT, Sun July 21, 2013
Watch this video

4 men lured to home with cigarettes, beer

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The homeowner's grandson faces felony charges
  • Three of the four men were hospitalized
  • They were lured to the house with cigarettes and food, police say
  • Three of the four "came out on a stretcher," a witness says

Houston, Texas (CNN) -- The grandson of the owner of a Houston house where four malnourished men were found has been charged with two felony counts in the case, police said Saturday.

Walter Renard Jones, 31, was charged with injury to the elderly by act and injury to the elderly by omission, Houston police spokeswoman Jodi Silva told CNN. A judge set Jones' bail at $200,000, CNN affiliate KHOU reported.

Jones is the grandson of Essie Mae Scranton, who owns the modest single-story home on Whitecastle Lane, police said.

The men told police they had been held captive in the garage, Silva said. They were discovered Friday.

Police: Individuals held captive in home

Police were investigating whether the men had been forced to hand over their government aid, including disability, Social Security and veterans' checks.

Three of the four men -- ages 80, 74, 65 and 50 -- were found in the garage and taken to an area hospital where they were in stable condition on Saturday; the fourth man, who was found inside the house, was taken to the police station to make a statement, she said.

Authorities said at least some of the men were believed to have been homeless. "What the men initially told us was they were lured there with the promise of cigarettes and food," Silva said.

But once inside the tan brick house with purple trim, they were not allowed to leave, she said. "They were apparently given scraps to eat," Silva said. "Very little food was being provided to them."

The men told the officers that they had been held for varying lengths of time. One man said it felt like 10 years, but Silva said, "Whether it goes into years or not is unknown."

The case came to light after a caller to 911 told police on Friday morning that three or four people were being held there against their will.

Soon after, officers entered by breaking through burglar bars on the front door, Silva said.

Inside, police said they saw trash strewn about and found a garage that had been turned into a prison -- with no beds, no chairs and no bathroom.

Investigators were also looking into whether four women found at the home were captives, she said.

Police said three of them were suffering from physical disabilities and mental illness; the fourth was a caregiver.

The women were living in the house, not in the converted garage, Silva said.

Alberta Ewing said she was visiting her brother when she saw police swarm the house next door.

Minutes later, she saw three men, whom she described as skinny, sickly and in need of medical care, leaving the building.

"What I saw this morning, oh my God," she said. "No one walked out. They all came out on a stretcher."

Edited by india100 - Jul 21 2013 at 1:29am
Sponsored Links

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2013 at 1:32am
Omg. Those poor people.Cry

I hope this suspect and those who acted with him 'get lost' in the prison system. Death won't come quick enough for them.
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2013 at 1:49am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Omg. Those poor people.Cry

I hope this suspect and those who acted with him 'get lost' in the prison system. Death won't come quick enough for them.
I agree. A black man holding his own people as slaves . You can see the poor people on video , but i cant embed . I can't imagine what the women had ro endure . OuchCry
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2013 at 1:51am
Two charges???  This should be two or three charges per person.  I hope this is just for the arrest part.
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2013 at 1:59am
Ugh...I just can't.... scum of the earth...be gone.... after that racist bastard in the other thread I'm out of colorful words and/thoughts for the time being.

Those poor people , taken advantage of in the worst ways.
And yes this isn't the first case of the disability check collection paired with kidnapping and (physical) abuse.

Those people are vulnerable and need help and are victimized for greed...

india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2013 at 2:11am
I agree ladies ^^^ I reported a woman for spending her daughter SSI check to party 24/7 . The little girl would ask me for food on the rare occasion she came outside . She ask could she live with me on numerous occasions . I found out later she was under investigation anyway . Look at that wild head fool mug shot . I almost broke my computer . Unhappy
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2013 at 2:15am
Wow....you did a very good thing reporting that woman.That poor child.
Im_oh_so_hott View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Im_oh_so_hott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2013 at 2:47am
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2013 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Ritle Ritle wrote:

Wow....you did a very good thing reporting that woman.That poor child.
Thank you . I can't understand how a mother could be so evil . One of the poor men in the story may not make it due to starvation .Ouch
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2013 at 2:42pm
I can't believe this world!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic