I also would like to say...please at all costs keep your edges moisturized. I initally lost a lot on my sides and back....what I had to do to was....
1) Cut out those combs and use large long bobby pins. Be secure, I normally use 2 on each side and 2 in the back, maybe one in the top...better to be secure than....looking like a fool in public with your wig on the ground !!!
2) do the baggy method when I came home at night...jerry curl activtor w/plasic cap then you put on any kind of oil to seal....go on the growth board to learn about this...you don't use a lot of either products.
I sleep in the plastic bag some nights, but not every night....I might skip a few night or....put on as soon as I get home and take off before bed and put on regular satin cap.
3) As soon as I come home I take my wig OFF....and don't yank it off...carefully remove your pins to not damage or pull out your hair.
If you have a "man" in the house and are uncomfortable, then until after dinner to take it off....or...when my husband is home, I put on a pretty silky floral scarf w/earrings and lip gloss....or I put on bright colored turbans. You don't have to look all crazy...but I'd attempt to take my wig off as soon as possible.
4) On the weekends I don't wear my wigs if possible, if I'm in the house I don't have them on....wear the wigs as little as possible.
5) In the morning, when I put my wig on....I make sure I put a little leave in moisturizer w/little oil to seal and then I put on my wig. I make sure I moisturizer before i wear my wigs.
6) Switch up...meaning wear a wig...then if you can...wear a ponytail piece....or put in braids for a few weeks. I don't switch every week but every few weeks I try and switch it up at least every 5-6 weeks.
7) Braid up your hair underneath your wig....if you can get small cornrows under your wig so your hair is braided up and less likely to get damaged.
8) Perm only the hair that is out. It may seem like a waste of money...but in the long run you are protecting your hair. I only perm what is out and seen which is about 2 inches in the front. I also try and stretch my perming out as long as possible...
SO this weekend, I permed my hair and I could see that the back and edges are INDEED BACK. These half wigs/wigs WILL break your hair if you are not careful.
They are very convenient but ....you have to remember to CARE FOR your OWN NATURAL hair underneath. It's easy to forget about it but if... you don't YOU will be one of those SISTERS with no edges....and I was in that state and its a BAD SITUATION you DON"T WANT....TO EVER BE IN!!!
At all costs, you don't want to lose your edges all the way around your hair line...front, back and sides....you need that area.....
You always want to protect your HAIR....so when the DAY comes....that you don't want to wear a wig....YOU DON"T HAVE TOO....
You never want to be so dependent that you have NO OPTIONS....even if your hair is not as long as you would LIKE...you want to have some HAIR...that you can at least put it in a ponytail piece and show your edges all the way around or if you decide to get braids....you never want to LOSE ALL your OPTIONS.
Edited by sunshine321511 - May 23 2010 at 10:52am