Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Wigs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Breakage from half wigs...or even "not half" wigs?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Breakage from half wigs...or even "not half" wigs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breakage from half wigs...or even "not half" wigs?
    Posted: May 20 2010 at 11:14am

i'm curious about the ladies that wear half wigs...have you experienced any breakage from where you're securing the wig?  or how about the part that is left out - is it in as good a shape as the part under the wig?

and for the "not half" wig wearers, any breakage?

i just got through hearing some horror stories about half/3/4 wigs and want to see if the stories have a common thread....

i've been wearing my wig...so far so good...no breakage, but was thinking of getting a half wig to mix things up.
Sponsored Links

SHAYBABY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAYBABY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 12:13pm
Yes I have experienced in the front of my hair from the half wigs. It had broke off so bad that I couldn't wear half wigs if I wanted to. So I went to full wigs and kept my natural hair braided up underneath. After a while my hair in the front grew back.
stephshe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephshe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 12:36pm
When I wear half wigs I take out the comb in the front and attach with black bobbie pins so that I don't get breakage.
Prize View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prize Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 1:41pm
I wear half wigs daily since I have taken a break from the LFs. I haven't experienced any breakage or problems from the combs. I keep my hair and scalp moisturized under my wig and I apply a stocking cap before I put it on. I don't apply any harsh gels or excess heat to the front of my hair neither.
jubilant.sleep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jubilant.sleep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Prize Prize wrote:

I wear half wigs daily since I have taken a break from the LFs. I haven't experienced any breakage or problems from the combs. I keep my hair and scalp moisturized under my wig and I apply a stocking cap before I put it on. I don't apply any harsh gels or excess heat to the front of my hair neither.

This is very important. OP, I would follow Prize's method if I were you. Keep your hair and scalp moisturized underneath your wig and cover it with a stocking cap before applying the wig. It's also important to avoid heat and gels.

I don't wear half wigs because I'm still trying to thicken my edges back up from wearing leave-out for weaves in the past, but I pretty much follow the same method. I wash my hair once a week, detangle it, and moisturize it very well. After that, I wrap it up at night and put a wig cap on during the day before I put my wig on (it's a lace front, but I don't glue it on). Also, since I'm natural I don't apply heat or gel. Wrapping my hair has been enough to keep it flat under my wig.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 10:47pm
ah good to know.  all of the responses are really helpful!

i'm keeping my hair moisturized and sealed under the wig.  definitely don't want it to break from a protective style!
sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 7:02am

I also would like to say...please at all costs keep your edges moisturized.  I initally lost a lot on my sides and back....what I had to do to was....

1) Cut out those combs and use large long bobby pins.  Be secure, I normally use 2 on each side and 2 in the back, maybe one in the top...better to be secure than....looking like a fool in public with your wig on the ground !!!

2) do the baggy method when I came home at night...jerry curl activtor w/plasic cap then  you put on any kind of oil to seal....go on the growth board to learn about this...you don't use a lot of either products.

I sleep in the plastic bag some nights, but not every night....I might skip a few night or....put on as soon as I get home and take off before bed and put on regular satin cap.

3) As soon as I come home I take my wig OFF....and don't yank it off...carefully remove your pins to not damage or pull out your hair.

If you have a "man" in the house and are uncomfortable, then until after dinner to take it off....or...when my husband is home, I put on a pretty silky floral scarf w/earrings and lip gloss....or I put on bright colored turbans.  You don't have to look all crazy...but I'd attempt to take my wig off as soon as possible. 

4) On the weekends I don't wear my wigs if possible, if I'm in the house I don't have them on....wear the wigs as little as possible.

5) In the morning, when I put my wig on....I make sure I put a little leave in moisturizer w/little oil to seal and then I put on my wig.  I make sure I moisturizer before i wear my wigs.

6) Switch up...meaning wear a wig...then if you can...wear a ponytail piece....or put in braids for a few weeks.  I don't switch every week but every few weeks I try and switch it up at least every 5-6 weeks.

7) Braid up your hair underneath your wig....if you can get small cornrows under your wig so your hair is braided up and less likely to get damaged.

8) Perm only the hair that is out.  It may seem like a waste of money...but in the long run you are protecting your hair. I only perm what is out and seen which is about 2 inches in the front. I also try and stretch my perming out as long as possible...

SO this weekend, I permed my hair and I could see that the back and edges are INDEED BACK.  These half wigs/wigs WILL break your hair if you are not careful.

They are very convenient but ....you have to remember to CARE FOR  your OWN NATURAL hair underneath.  It's easy to forget about it but if... you don't  YOU will be one of those SISTERS with no edges....and I was in that state and its a BAD SITUATION you DON"T WANT....TO EVER BE IN!!!

At all costs, you don't want to lose your edges all the way around your hair line...front, back and sides....you need that area.....

You always want to protect your HAIR....so when the DAY comes....that you don't want to wear a wig....YOU DON"T HAVE TOO....

You never want to be so dependent that you have NO OPTIONS....even if your hair is not as long as you would LIKE...you want to have some HAIR...that you can at least put it in a ponytail piece and show your edges all the way around or if you decide to get braids....you never want to LOSE ALL your OPTIONS.

Edited by sunshine321511 - May 23 2010 at 10:52am
LegendaryLady83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LegendaryLady83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 2:34am
I love half wigs.  I have worn them a lot, using the front combs that come with them with no problems at all.  Make you you don't snatch the wig off when you are removing it.  Doing so could rip out your hairs that are in the combs.  Remember to moisturize your real hair underneath. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 8:02pm
wow sunshine, good advice.  i agree re: moisturizing.  makes such a difference.

i plan on wearing wigs for the rest of the year.  as soon as i come home, it comes off...and yes, there is a "man" in the house, but oh well!  he doesn't care.  my hair is neatly braided underneath so it's not like i come out looking like who done it and ran and ran and ran!

if we go out on the weekends, i try to wear my own hair, but sometimes, i'm not feeling it so i have to wear the wig...no biggie though.

Ivy_Grad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivy_Grad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 3:28pm
I wonder if the combs causing breakage has to do with the half wigs that use metal combs/toupee clips.  I used to rock a Modu/Simi wig back in the day and experienced breakage due to the metal toupee clips used to secure the hair.  The outre half wigs that use the small plastic combs have yet to result in breakage for me.  Then again I do not wear the outre wigs consistently.  I do however wear my old LFs as halfies and I secure the using bobby pins.  Thus far no breakage.  As soon as I get in the house I take off my wig.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style