Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Braids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Braids Vs. Senegalese Twists

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braids Vs. Senegalese Twists
    Posted: Aug 06 2012 at 7:23pm
I've been googling back and forth back and forth back and forth and I cannot make a decision. 
If it were simply based on looks I'd get Senegalese Twists.
Pros and Cons? What do you think will be best for me?
Some things to keep in mind:
My hair is natural
I plan to keep it in for 2 months (maybe 3, but I doubt it)
I only like box braids/SL chunky and long
I'll probably be getting them just below bra strap length since I'm pressed for time
I'll be getting them in NYC but I only have one day to shop and it takes me a long time to shop so I need them to be quick (hopefully I can get two braiders at a time...hope that's not extra $)

Example of how big I want my box braids:
Example of how I want my Senegalese Twists:
These are cute too, but I'd prefer the chunkier ones above, especially if they take less time.

My family lives in the Bronx which is where I'll be staying for 1 1/2 days so if you know any good braiding shops in the area. There was one I usually went to when I was little but I'd like more options.

Thanks Everyone
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2012 at 3:52pm
Since people don't reply on here, I'm going to go with braids because although it takes longer, I'll probably ask for 2 or 3 braiders, I've had them done before and they seem to last longer especially if your hair is natural. 
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2012 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by lalaLeslie lalaLeslie wrote:

Since people don't reply on here, I'm going to go with braids because although it takes longer, I'll probably ask for 2 or 3 braiders, I've had them done before and they seem to last longer especially if your hair is natural. 

I would go for the smaller twists.  The bigger braids and twists tend to be heavy on my edges.  Plus I like the look of the small twists.
honniecake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honniecake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2012 at 4:39pm
i love senegalese twists. but to be honest, i think the smaller twists would be better. because of your possible length (im assuming you BC'ed), big braids would not be able to be held by such strands. your hair is newly growing, and i would hate for you to put any stress on it like that. keep it to a minimum. if it helps, you can still get braids that are not as big, but somewhere around that.

ie:

they still look pretty big to me.

DivaMelody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DivaMelody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2012 at 7:10pm
The girl with the box braids is gorge.  I havent been in braids section in a while.  I gotta start coming back.     Anywhooo----I am natural with 4B hair , I just took twists out, I liked them but my hair was fuzzing and twisting itself OUT of the twists.   I prob wont get again because I only lasted 2 weeks before I took them out, it looked super fuzzy and like locs almost(which I liked ) BUT no longevity.   Braids are longer lasting for us naturals-though not sure about the huge ones.    But ill likely stay neater longer .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2012 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by honniecake honniecake wrote:

i love senegalese twists. but to be honest, i think the smaller twists would be better. because of your possible length (im assuming you BC'ed), big braids would not be able to be held by such strands. your hair is newly growing, and i would hate for you to put any stress on it like that. keep it to a minimum. if it helps, you can still get braids that are not as big, but somewhere around that.

ie:

they still look pretty big to me.

Thanks for your opinion. I actually transitioned and slowly chop off the relaxed ends so my natural hair isn't all that short except for my edges and nape. I think I'll go for slightly smaller braids this time, and then bigger braids when my hair gets longer, just in case.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2012 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by DivaMelody DivaMelody wrote:

The girl with the box braids is gorge.  I havent been in braids section in a while.  I gotta start coming back.     Anywhooo----I am natural with 4B hair , I just took twists out, I liked them but my hair was fuzzing and twisting itself OUT of the twists.   I prob wont get again because I only lasted 2 weeks before I took them out, it looked super fuzzy and like locs almost(which I liked ) BUT no longevity.   Braids are longer lasting for us naturals-though not sure about the huge ones.    But ill likely stay neater longer .
THANKS!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply