Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Braids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Braids in the workplace.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braids in the workplace.
    Posted: Oct 08 2011 at 8:30pm
Hi ladies, I just wanted to start up a discussion about wearing braids/twists in the workplace. I know it used to be (somewhat) an issue like 20 yrs ago but with the constant invention of new styles and fads, how does it go now? Weaves and microbraids are pretty much classic styles, I don't think there should be any problems with those as long as they appear to be neat. At the moment, I'm just getting ready to hop back into the job market (in Oz) and I've noticed that companies tend to be very conservative. I currently have open-ended individuals installed and even though I do take care of them, it does make me a slight bit nervous going on interviews. I've pretty much decided in regards to that, the safest thing I can do is just bun it up. How about the ladies with the crochet braids, box braids, treebraids, senegalese & kinky twists? Has your hairstyle turned off any potential employers?
Sponsored Links

dlavish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlavish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2011 at 8:48pm
i work in the school system..ive never gotten any flack but i will say..i am very mindful of the colors i choose..im kind of plain anyways..absolutely no reds and burnt oranges and all that extra stuff..i try to be more professional in my styles for the simple fact that i dont look my age and depending on how i wear my hair..i can pass for one of the kids even if im dressed up...i know im rambling but id say..be cautious of the colors..but you know what..even with that..for some people..it just works regardless..so its all in how you present yourself at the end of the day
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2011 at 9:00pm
Well I am in the US but about ten years ago when I wore braids, I didn't get much criticism about them.  But the colors was close to my natural hair and I didn't have it flowing past my buttocks (but that is a personal matter of taste).
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2011 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by dlavish dlavish wrote:

i work in the school system..ive never gotten any flack but i will say..i am very mindful of the colors i choose..im kind of plain anyways..absolutely no reds and burnt oranges and all that extra stuff..i try to be more professional in my styles for the simple fact that i dont look my age and depending on how i wear my hair..i can pass for one of the kids even if im dressed up...i know im rambling but id say..be cautious of the colors..but you know what..even with that..for some people..it just works regardless..so its all in how you present yourself at the end of the day

Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

Well I am in the US but about ten years ago when I wore braids, I didn't get much criticism about them.  But the colors was close to my natural hair and I didn't have it flowing past my buttocks (but that is a personal matter of taste).

Yeah, I am already cautious of colors. I don't like it when ppl have some loud colors, especially when it comes to some blondes. TBH, blonde is the scariest color of them all, lol. The most I might go in coloring is a 1b/30 or maybe like a 99j (deep burgundy/wine). As for length, I do love wearing my braids long but I probably won't be seen in anything longer than a 28-30" curly and 26" straight (about lower back for me) <-- come to think of it, are those lengths excessive?
book worm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book worm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2011 at 10:32pm
I'm usually conservative about the color and length.  You can't go wrong with a bun.
momolicious21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momolicious21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2011 at 11:38pm
I am happy you posted this! I haven't thought about this at all! I am currently a college student & I was actually about to start job searching again! I didn't think about my hair being conservative enough for the work place! And I am actually one of those people that like to experiment with color! LOL 

Edited by momolicious21 - Oct 09 2011 at 11:39pm
ladykitten211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladykitten211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2011 at 2:02am
The job market is effed up regardless. Just be yourself. Dress neatly and maintain a neat appearance. Your hairstyle shouldn't matter at all to any decent, non-racist, non-fascist employer as long as your hair is clean and neat and, if required for safety on the job, possibly pulled away from your face or out of your eyes.
Brilaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brilaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2011 at 2:13am
As for length, I do love wearing my braids long but I probably won't be seen in anything longer than a 28-30" curly and 26" straight (about lower back for me) <-- come to think of it, are those lengths excessive?

^^ Where do YOU work? Ouch
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2011 at 10:31am
I was in management human resources for several years. It is about qualifications and how well you come across in the interview. Most people do not look at and judge how well you will perform a job based on whether you are wearing braids or not. Now keep in mind some people have their own personal prejudices and you cannot get around that. For example: Say if the person you interview with is natural, an thinks that any black who would relax their curl is a sellout. Well she might be prejudice against you, if u have a relaxer. Of course she cannot tell you that.....Wear you hair the way you like, as long as it is not purple or green, most people will not make a difference.....My doctor has locs down to his butt and he is tall. And he works in someone elses office, it is not his own practice......Build your resume and interview skills, and learn some background about the company that you are interviewing with.

Edited by Veemack - Oct 29 2011 at 10:34am
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2011 at 12:19pm
IA with everyone who said that it does not matter.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>