Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
2cute View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braids for the tender-headed
    Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 5:11pm
Recently decided to go natural and been transitioning since August of last year. In between that time I had a couple of weaves. I am now going to get Senegalese twists as my next style. My concern is that I have a tenderhead. In the past, even if a braider isnt braiding my hair tight, I still feel discomfort as they are parting through my very thick new growth. Any suggestions on what to do in order to make the braiding process comfortable and less painful?
Sponsored Links

DeeDee58517 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 8:50pm
Learn how to do them yourself. You already know that you'd be gentle on your own scalp because it's your own scalp. You'd save money and, if you become pretty good at it, you'd make some money doing it as a side hustle. My testimony (LoL): Halfway through my transition, I did my own KinkyTwists and from that I did 2 other people's Kinky's too. Check youtube, there is a shytload of tutorials on there!
butterfly3582 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2012 at 9:01am
^^^^^I agree 100 %. I too am tender headed and found someone that was gentle with my head. But regardless I had discomfort. Before her for years I got Sew ins and put up with torture so she didn't seem so bad. As I started learning to do things myself I dreaded going to here more and more. So I slowly stopped.
I am going to be honest i still make myself wince very ofccasionally. Thats just the nature of being tenderheaded. But it's rare. And it's for a sec. No one cn baby ur hair like u.

It is a process in the mean time u can take Tylenol or something about an hour before u go..and when u r done. There will still be some discomfort but it helps just a little. Also detangle, stretch ur hair at home. I stop allowing a stylist to do that. Plus once I got the process down its pain free

Edited by butterfly3582 - Feb 04 2012 at 9:05am
NataleeC View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2012 at 12:48pm
If you find it difficult to learn like me, you can blowdry your hair at home, so she wont have that much difficulty parting through your hair...
It helped when I was doing my sew in..
Maybe it will help with your braids..
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2012 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by NataleeC NataleeC wrote:

If you find it difficult to learn like me, you can blowdry your hair at home, so she wont have that much difficulty parting through your hair...
It helped when I was doing my sew in..
Maybe it will help with your braids..

This.

I'm super tenderheaded. Everytime I get senegalese twists, I'll DC the night before with a mixture of V05 moisturizing condish, EVOO, and molasses. I sleep with it on my hair. The next morning, I'll rinse (no poo), and blowdry. If there isn't much oil residue left  in my hair from the conditioner, I'll add a little EVOO to my hair when I'm halfway through blow-drying. The oil in the hair helps prevent breakage and doesn't make the grip seem so tight when they're braiding.
2cute View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 10:23pm
Thanks to all the suggestions! I sectioned my hair in sections, braided, and moisturized my new growth to ends of my hair right before I went in to the shop.  It helped and my braider did not do my twists tight as I informed her not too.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic